Energy for the over 60s

in Energy
33 replies 9.2K views

Replies

• chateau42chateau42 Forumite
    119 Posts
    Powergen run Age Concern and Staywarm plus other tariffs, including capped and online. Staywarm is the only one I know for over 60's with unlimited consumption (read terms and conditions) for a fixed monthly payment, by direct debit, usually price fixed, in my experience, for 12 months.  Hope that is some help. :)

Re 'is it worth signing up'?  It depends on your actual annual consumption and how it varies year to year.  I am on Staywarm,  about £2/month more than being charged per Kw by the cheapest other supplier. But we can use what we like (read terms and conditions), only two of us and the price is fixed for 12 months.  Prices are fluid at the moment and I have not considered Telecom Plus. ???
    The moving finger, having writ, moved on.
  • f107btxf107btx Forumite
    87 Posts
    I read in newspaper that Staywarm had stopped their service to 35,000 customers.I phoned Staywarm to ask what their upper limits are in kWs and they told me they did not know about upper limits.I was then told if I am on government benifits that it is safe to use my gas & electricity as normal and I would not be removed from Staywarm.

Peace of mind
    :)
  • milliemillie Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    But did they say that they had stopped the service, and what benefits do they mean. My husband is on incapacity benefit. If not I need to start looking for another supplier as our contract only has about another 6 weeks to run
  • f107btxf107btx Forumite
    87 Posts
    Find out by phoning Staywarm freephone
  • chateau42chateau42 Forumite
    119 Posts
    Sadly what we read and what we hear are not always facts and in many instances stories fostered by vested interests. Staywarm estimate our consumption at a stupidly very high rate, but we are still starting a new 12 months with them. See previous posts. ;D ::) ;D
  • gatitagatita Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    After I received the letter from Staywarm informing me that I consumed too much fuel to remain a Staywarm customer, I filled in the form they sent with my reading, also telling them I got M.I.G. benefits, and as I understood from their letter, this would allow me to remain a customer. I got a reply from them today saying: The information I had given was "USEFUL"!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT the HECK does that mean ?
    I telephoned them to ask, they replied that I would hear from them on the 24th October and they would give me a definate answer IF i could remain with Staywarm. I also asked them WHAT the upper limits were, they could not tell me as they did not know!!!!!!!!!!!! This is FARCICAL and a disgrace, I do so hope that Martin will take this up on our behalf.
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Sounds appalling. :o Looks like an Ofgem job. >:(
  • gatitagatita Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have written to Energywatch complaining about the treatment a lot of Staywarm customers are having, Looking at their web site it appears they are very aware of what is happening. I urge everyone that can to also write and voice their opinion.

http://www.energywatch.org.uk/media/show_release.asp?article_id=745&display_type=archive
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
  • Agree! :)
  • That link shows exactly the treatment we got from Staywarm. They wont tell you untill the last minute what's happening then you have no option but to go with Powergen. Good ploy on their part. Then they supplied Powergen with the same estimated reading that they were using to throw us off. Consequently Powergen notified us they would be taking £90.50/month for gas alone. I soon stopped that one and set my own payments.
    By the way, I may have said this before but on Powergens standard tariff and based on last 12months consumption we will have to pay £59/month for both fuels and new Staywarm price for this year was £63.40/month.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides