Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

May 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 52

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

May 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 2 April 2013 at 3:56PM in Old Style MoneySaving
799 replies 54.3K views

Replies

• lbnblbnblbnblbnb Forumite
    567 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    £1.48 spend in the C*-*p. Will add to total later.
    Tonight's tea - Butterbean and leek with orzo

20130513_172031_zps4ceb0832.jpg

Yum, I like the look of that.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hex2 wrote: »
    Envious on the 75% off Meg72, I timed it right in the co-op a few weeks ago or we would have no meat left now.

I have been doing the GC on and off for years now but I am struggling to cope with the current drastic reduction in spend. Going back and re-reading the first few posts really made me think each time I go shopping about exactly what I am spending and why. Make do and mend need to be the focus for me.

With this in mind I didn't go to Lidl at the weekend as planned, nor did I give into the 'no bread' whines and sneak to the co-op. I did a stock take (and scary it was too - for a hoarder my cupboards and freezer are very empty). I made some bread for the boys, and a bung it in spanish omelette thing for packed lunches.

Cooking bacon is a life saver - £1.09 in MrS for a huge packet. Have to chose carefully, this one is nearly all streaky which is great. It has gone into the omelette and into cauli cheese and it will go into the stretched chicken tomorrow.

Drinking chocolate/nesquik is working ok instead of cocoa for chocolate buns - subbing a third of the sugar like for like. No complaints from the boys anyway. Same with chocolate buttercream - subbing the icing sugar for nesquik working well.

So sorry to hear that things are hard at the moment and do hope they look up for you soon. Totally agree about the cooking bacon, a real winner I think, even better than rubber chicken.

I buy mine in asda 81p for 500grms, I divide the pack into 4, I use 1/4 to make a six portion quiche. 1.4 to make 4 x French bread pizzas, 1.4 makes 4 x bacon, pot and onion pies and the last quarter makes 4-5 portions of ham, pea and potato stew.

18 meals there for me on my own,or 4.5 for a family.
    Slimming World at target
  • lizalloaredslizalloareds Forumite
    1.8K posts
    nsd:)

had beef casserole for dinner then had a piece of the white choc cheesecake that was left from yesterday:)
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • hex2hex2 Forumite
    4.7K posts
    Billie Jo that looks lush.
    meg72 - thanks - will try Asda for the cooking bacon, I am lucky in that I work near to Asda, Sainsburys, Aldi and Makro but I struggle to get through the tills in the 20 minutes I have between work and collecting the boys so focus is essential.

I cooked the second half of the bacon packet and used half for another baked egg surprise with the last of the potatoes. The now crispy bit will be saved for tomorrows pasta.

There are no less than 10 chicken carcasses in the freezer :p

You have to focus on the positive, and I do thrive on a challenge.

Gill635 I bulk cook stuff like sausage casserole and chilli then freeze in pinging tubs that way there is always something faster than a takeaway. I make sure it is nice - so the latest batch of sausage for example has chipotle and chorizo in and then there is no hardship in having it. At any point in time my aim is to have 3 ping choices in the freezer for OH so there is always an option he fancies.

Says the person who lived on toast when single :o
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    lbnblbnb wrote: »
    Yum, I like the look of that.

Very easy and tasty to do. The orzo is my special ingredient. It's very filling too. Shout if you would like the recipe :)
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £249.34/£350 May £491.30/£350 Jun £90.79/350
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • lbnblbnblbnblbnb Forumite
    567 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Very easy and tasty to do. The orzo is my special ingredient. It's very filling too. Shout if you would like the recipe :)
    You read my mind! I have a packet of orzo sat on the shelf and leeks in the veg box. When you get a chance, thank you!
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    NSD here.
    No kitchen either!
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • GILL635GILL635 Forumite
    373 posts
    hex2 wrote: »
    Billie Jo that looks lush.
    meg72 - thanks - will try Asda for the cooking bacon, I am lucky in that I work near to Asda, Sainsburys, Aldi and Makro but I struggle to get through the tills in the 20 minutes I have between work and collecting the boys so focus is essential.

I cooked the second half of the bacon packet and used half for another baked egg surprise with the last of the potatoes. The now crispy bit will be saved for tomorrows pasta.

There are no less than 10 chicken carcasses in the freezer :p

You have to focus on the positive, and I do thrive on a challenge.

Gill635 I bulk cook stuff like sausage casserole and chilli then freeze in pinging tubs that way there is always something faster than a takeaway. I make sure it is nice - so the latest batch of sausage for example has chipotle and chorizo in and then there is no hardship in having it. At any point in time my aim is to have 3 ping choices in the freezer for OH so there is always an option he fancies.

Says the person who lived on toast when single :o

To be fair, I pretty much end up doing that most of the time ha ha.

I need to lose weight as well though, so I'm trying to eat healthier and more. I think part of the problem is not eating enough x
  • GreenFairyGreenFairy Forumite
    353 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Another trip to Mr T. today. Ground coffee, tub of cream cheese for himself, coriander in a pot, bananas, carrots, courgettes, potatoes, aubergine, peppers, red onions (organic), bagged salad and a pack of marrowfats. €19.07 to total.

Veggie lasagne for dinner, with leftovers for tomorrow and two bits for the freezer for next week.
    Wednesday we're having some food out (burritos!) and going to the cinema as a special reward for getting through my exams :)
    Thursday's dinner is undecided, but made out of what we have in.
    GC totals 2020! Jan €341/€400. Feb €401.27/€400. Mar €430.21/€350. Apr €325/€400. May €219.82/€400.

Blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    lbnblbnb wrote: »
    You read my mind! I have a packet of orzo sat on the shelf and leeks in the veg box. When you get a chance, thank you!

It's a SW recipe, so substitute the fry light with whatever cooking oil/spray you use; and full fat versions for half / low fat where applicable.I've also never had sherry in so always omitted it; and you can serve with any pasta. I've had tagliatelle, but just prefer orzo

Ingredients
    • 225g leeks, sliced
    • 156g mushrooms, sliced
    • 1 garlic clove, crushed
    • 1 tsp paprika
    • 142ml vegetable stock
    • 420g canned butter beans, drained and rinsed
    • 100ml half fat creme fraiche (8.5 syns)
    • 1 tbsp cornflour (3.5 syns)
    • 2 tbsp dry sherry (2 syns)
    • salt & pepper
    • Fry light
    • 2 tbsp chopped parsley, to serve
    Method
    Spray large saucepan with fry light - add leeks, mushrooms and garlic. Cook for 5 mins until soft. Stir in paprika, cook for 1 minute. Add stock, and bring to boil. Cover and simmer for 5 mins, then stir in butter beans and creme fraiche. Mix cornflour into sherry, add to pan. Cook, stirring, until sauce thickens. Season to taste and scatter with chopped parsley to serve.

I put about two cupfuls of orzo in.

Enjoy :)
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £249.34/£350 May £491.30/£350 Jun £90.79/350
    Forever learning the art of frugality