Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

May 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 28

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

May 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 2 April 2013 at 3:56PM in Old Style MoneySaving
799 replies 54.3K views

Replies

• GuineapigsqueaksGuineapigsqueaks Forumite
    324 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Evening All

Small spend on milk on Tuesday to report £1.59, followed by weekly shop on Thursday at Ald*, just in time to use my second £5 off £40 voucher, spent £46.02. Best buy, some limited stock of 6 x bags Twiglets 99p, bought two bags for DS packed lunches, DD and I don't like. I do get a lot for my money at Ald*. Have updated signature.

Probably go to Mr T sometime tomorrow to get Everyday Value stuff that I need and is cheaper than Ald*/bits I can't get from Ald*. I've been AWOL for Mr T for a few weeks, so hoping might get voucher with my receipt to entice me back for next week's shop, you never know :).

Looking forward to bit of sunshine over Bank Holiday. Don't think I'll need the spf50 just yet though.

Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi all food pics look lovely FLO.....daft question how do you get your coleslaw cut so fine is it by hand or blender type thing, as when i blend it ,it turns intomush. thanks. spent 40.65 in mr t yesterday got a lot of store cupboard for this also. not too many ys have noticed less and less on the shelves.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • storytimestorytime Forumite
    333 posts
    Hi, first shop of the month. £41.51 at Aldi and £19.50 at Mr T. This included nappies for the month for DGS and face cream for me. Sig updated.
    My secret fantasy is having 2 men....
    1 cooking and 1 cleaning.
  • sefilbysefilby Forumite
    148 posts
    £35.52 spend in Mr T on this weeks main shop (£40.52 less £5 voucher)
    Going to go claim some Freebies today - b**ts snack-a-jack-things and orange juice when you get the b**ts magazine and some burgers from Ic*land with voucher from yesterdays Sunpaper and some seeds from P*undland from todays paper.

Have a good BH wknd everyone!

Sig updated.
    Christmas budget £266.38/£535 15/27gifts
    Read a book a week challenge 50/52
  • mrs-moneypennymrs-moneypenny Forumite
    15.5K posts
    got this from my DS2 school newsletter, i made a couple the other night and they taste really nice expecially still warm with butter

Malt Loaf

1 tbsp brown sugar
    3 tbsp malt extract
    2 tbsp black treacle
    25g/1oz butter (plus extra for greasing)
    350g/12oz strong white bread flour (plus extra for flouring)
    100g/3 1/2oz strong wholemeal bread flour
    pinch salt
    14g/1/2oz fast action yeast
    225g/8oz sultanas
    250ml/9fl oz warm water
    1tbps warm honey to glaze

method
    1. Place sugar, malt extract, treacle and butter in pan heat gently until butter has melted and sugar has dissolved. leave to cool.
    2. Mix flours, salt, yeast and sultanas in a mixing bowl.
    3. add warm water to the cooled malt syrup mixture, and pour over dry ingredients, stir thoroughly. The mixture will be soft and sticky.
    4. Turn onto floured surface and knead gently for a few minutes to bring all ingredients together..
    5. Grease 2 1lb loaf tins and divide mixture between them. Smooth the mixture with the back of a spoon so the top is even and level. cover each with a plastic bag or cling film, leave in a warm place for a couple of hours to rise.
    6. preheat oven to 190*C/375F/Gas 5
    remove plastic and bake for 30/40 mins. If top of loaf start to brown to quickly cover with loose sheet of foil and continue baking.
    7. remove from oven and brush the top with warm honey to glaze. cool on a wire rack. slice and eat with butter.

written exactly as was in the school newsletter.
    mine wasnt sticky it was more like a dough but has risen well and tastes nomm. but i did swap sultanas for dates as i hadnt got any of those

been and done the main shop this morning but not fruit and veg yet. got to take off what i got for mil before totalling my spends so will do that later
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    mrs-moneypenny, your Malt Loaf recipe has been added to the index :)
    :heart: Married 1 March 2014 :heart::D DS born 06 Dec 2014 :D DD born 14 Dec 2018
  • K9sandFelinesK9sandFelines Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mr T delivery, now including pet food from supermarket so total after promotions and £5 off was £41.08. Got loads for my money this week.

Off to update sig
    GC 2017 £3,434.09 GC 2018 £2,250.95 GC 2019 £3,053.51 GC 2020 Jan (absent) Feb £340.16/£320 Mar £363.25/£350 Apr £249.34/£350 May £491.30/£350
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • Tales17Tales17 Forumite
    257 posts
    Been off the grid for a while, trying to keep on target this month with £550
    Grocery Challenge 2019 YTD-£820.46/£7200(11%)
    Grocery Challenge Feb - £93.10/£600(16%)
    £12k in 2019 #: Monthly Saving Accounts £500, Cashback & Competition Sites £2.59, Shopping Saving £152.09,Selling £121.26, Interest & Dividends £43.93, Surveys £0, 365 Day Penny Challenge # £103.44
    Total Saved - £923.31/£12000(8%)
  • TenyearstogoTenyearstogo Forumite
    692 posts
    I'm on track to overspend. I spent £86 today but my freezer is overflowing. I don't think I need to buy much more meat this month.

I've tried shopping at a butchers today but the meat was such good value I got excited and bought everything.

Hoping I can balance the spending out across the month now.
  • lbnblbnblbnblbnb Forumite
    567 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    I am trying to meal plan but struggling to get enthusiastic.

My SIL brought me various vegetable and herb delights from London. I have lots of dill, trying to think of ideas. Zatziki? Feta and spinach pie? Potato salad? Nothing is really tickling my taste buds.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012