edited 6 October 2010 at 8:41AM in Old Style MoneySaving
5.2K replies 737.2K views

Replies

• DustykittenDustykitten Forumite
    16.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hapless wrote: »
    I know my dad used to put clear plastic up at the windows when i was a kid, may do that as our windows are awful and the council won't replace them. (mumble grumble)

That brings back memories for me too. Plastic in winter and beach towels in summer to cut out the sun light.

I love autumn, can't wait. There are a huge pair of conker trees outside our house - we end up with bucket fulls but the first few are always treasured.

Have heaps of wood stored already, chimney done, made some pickle and started to go though the wardrobes to see who needs what.

Halloween, bonfire night, christdingle I love it all not to mention the little oiks back where they belong at school:rotfl:
    The birds of sadness may fly overhead but don't let them nest in your hair
  • thriftlady_2thriftlady_2 Forumite
    9.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    is there a recipe:j?

Bread and Butter Pickles

Contains no bread and no butter :D

Slice 2 smallish cucumbers and a spanish onion and mix with 1 oz of sea salt in a colander. Leave overnight in a bowl to drain. Some of the moisture in the veg will be drawn out.

Rinse the veg and dry on a teatowel. Put them in a pan.

Put 5 fl oz of cider/white wine vinegar, 6oz brown sugar, 1tbs mustard seeds and 1tbs coriander seeds in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Pour over the veg and cook fast for 3 mins -you want them to stay crisp.

Pot into sterilised jars with vinegar proof lids (plastic lined). Should make one large jar or two smaller ones.

Store in the fridge. Brilliant in ham, beef or cheese sandwiches ;)
  • russetredrussetred Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Oh hapless what an incredible house! Its stunning.I live in a swedish house all cedar wood it was thrown up after the war (WWII) for the troops coming home and was only supposed to be temporary but needless to say the craftmanship was so good not only are they still standing they're in great shape.In the winter it's wonderful as we have a multifuel stove and with candlelight it's so cosy.I get soooo squirrelly at this time of year.Pickle season is nearly here and I have been out collecting wild mushrooms.I have my HM mincemeat I made last year so that should bs excellent for stuffing baked apples,I found a wild abandoned orchard 2 years ago which I scrump for fruit.Oh I can almost smell autumn:rolleyes:
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    38.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can see us having LOTS of work to do before the winter sets in.. and all of it expensive!!!!!!!!
    1. I'm needing a new boiler before winter as my May gas bill was almost £400 last winter.. the summer bill just came and was £87 ... the only difference in our gas consumption was we haven't had the heating on since April!!! I can't find anywhere other than British Gas that will allow us to pay in installments and they are so expensive!!! (Any help/ideas gratefully received!!)
    2. We don't have double glazing at all but are hoping to get the front bay DG'd before winter.. keeping the same wood frames just changing the glass and replacing the seals and filling in the BIG draughty gaps in the joints
    3. I got everyone new coats/hats/gloves etc in the sales after last winter so other than me everyone is sorted.. I can never find a coat I like!!
    4. I'm shopping for school uniform next week and winter stuff at the end of next month... Though I don't think anyone other than DD1 and me need anything much.. They were all sorted in this years January sales!
    5. I need to run the curtains up for the middle room french doors.. they are huge too.. I've got some lovely spring looking fabric which I will be adding thermal linings to!! We need the doors replacing too, though they may just end up being nailed shut and having the gaps filled with sealant!
    6. I need curtains for the front and back doors too...
    7. replace the radiator in DS1's room... the valve on his is jammed shut
    Oh I can see us having fun this winter!!! lol..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    06/09/2021 £42630.55 (2.41% int.)
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    38.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooh question...

Where is the best place to get HUGE jars for pickling??? My brood have an obsession with all things pickled so I thought I'd give it a go..
  • Hapless_2Hapless_2 Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    russetred wrote: »
    Oh hapless what an incredible house!
    About half of it is ours. Would love to buy it and do it up but no money and hopefully the council will do it for us....apparently they are "of non-usual construction and faulty by design" and the council can't wait to off-load them as they cost too much to repair.

but I love it.
    The "Bloodlust" Clique - Morally equal to all. Member 10
    grocery challenge...Budget £420

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I get my le parfait/kilner jars from here...
    http://www.colouredbottles.co.uk/store/catalog/Storage-Terrine-Jars-Small-Order-Menu-p-1-c-409.html

they are really superb with delivery.

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • pigpenpigpen Forumite
    38.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hapless.. they look fantastic.. perfect.. thank you!
    2.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Postage cost can be a bit stiff, but it is couriored, and they rectify mistakes really quickly. (I ordered some bottles and lids and they sent the wrong bottlesso they sent me the correct ones and lids for the others, no extra charge, I was flabbergasted!)

Wk 1 £27.10
    Wk 2 £78.06
    Wk 3 £163.06
    Wk 4
  • Pandora123_2Pandora123_2 Forumite
    517 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Hapless wrote: »
    I get my le parfait/kilner jars from here...
    http://www.colouredbottles.co.uk/store/catalog/Storage-Terrine-Jars-Small-Order-Menu-p-1-c-409.html

they are really superb with delivery.

I was looking around awhile ago for the cheapest place for le parfait jars, and Lakeland was the cheapest I found (and if there's one near you, you can save on shipping!) They only have the 500ml and 1litre though, not sure if they have a better selection in the store.

Le Parfait jars at Lakeland

:A
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides