Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

April 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 65

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

April 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 24 March 2013 at 12:36PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 82K views

Replies

• tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...last day of the epic turkey today in the form of turkey fried rice, I need to prep some veg and sort out a pudding Im not sure what we are having yet

I plan to make some rock cakes in a minute and do a meal plan and shopping list for next week, I have managed to do very little shopping this week and dont think I have spent much I will add it up later

have a nice day tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • meg72 wrote: »
    As someone who is also inclined to overstock on bargains Ifind it useful to make myself have a use up week every now and then. I plan a weeks menu from the freezer and cupboards and only buy absolute essentials for that week.

I try to do this the first week of the challenge and use the savings to stock up on the last week so that I am a bit ahead for the next month.

this works out well for me as I live alone and can please myself what I eat, much more difficult when feeding a family though, too many moans of `We havent got any
    `

This is a problem with me too i may start doing this cos like the old yellow sticker like we all do. But have to squeeze things in the freeze i will have to do the Eating out of the freezer challenge
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • edited 11 April 2013 at 10:36AM
    MrsCautiousMrsCautious Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Debt-free and Proud! I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 11 April 2013 at 10:36AM
    hi...last day of the epic turkey today in the form of turkey fried rice, I need to prep some veg and sort out a pudding Im not sure what we are having yet

I plan to make some rock cakes in a minute and do a meal plan and shopping list for next week, I have managed to do very little shopping this week and dont think I have spent much I will add it up later

have a nice day tessa

Your post about what you have done with one turkey crown was amazing! I think I'd like to get one next time I buy meat -- did you think it would do so much for that price?

Hey thanks for encouragement re slow cooker,Eyebright and Sheepappar

Looks like I may not go anywhere due to nasty 'orrible painful cough and cold, I have some long life milk and some bread in the freezer so we can make do, no problem eating what's here today, my mum has given us some cooked meat and a red pepper -- bit random but she said she and my dad wouldn't eat it. I bought cheapest hot dog sausages I could find (49p a tin in Aldi) last week as well as chicken in white sauce from Sainsbury's last week -- not particularly good value or brilliant nutritionally but it's a bit of an old family favourite staple and I wanted some 'standby' lunches. So it's reasonable to expect an NSD today, about time I had another one.

Have a lovely day everyone xx
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi Mrs C i am a big fan of rubberizing food (nothing else hee hee) what i do is buy the meat such as
    a big chicken
    a ham joint
    lamb joint
    beef joint
    turkey crown
    cook it sometimes in the sc as is is a very forgiving way to cook meat and you seem to be able to get every scrap of meat off it and then set about making meals for a few days....meat shouldnt be kept for longer than 3 days which i try and bear in mind although am not too precious I then see how far i can get day wise...sometimes imake everything sometimes less . I like to have nice meat for ds packups so not only is the meat good for dinners it reduces the spend on cooked meat for his sarnies

anyone got any other suggestions for food that can get the rubber treatment ? im open to suggestions (hee hee)

hth
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • hi Mrs C i am a big fan of rubberizing food (nothing else hee hee) what i do is buy the meat such as
    a big chicken
    a ham joint
    lamb joint
    beef joint
    turkey crown
    cook it sometimes in the sc as is is a very forgiving way to cook meat and you seem to be able to get every scrap of meat off it and then set about making meals for a few days....meat shouldnt be kept for longer than 3 days which i try and bear in mind although am not too precious I then see how far i can get day wise...sometimes imake everything sometimes less . I like to have nice meat for ds packups so not only is the meat good for dinners it reduces the spend on cooked meat for his sarnies

anyone got any other suggestions for food that can get the rubber treatment ? im open to suggestions (hee hee)

hth
    tessa

thank you -- definitely going to try this, one of my daughters says now and again she has had enough of sandwiches so I think the turkey could also be nice in a cold pasta salad or just with a summer salad and some crackers or something. I also want to start buying whole chickens rather than portions and make more meals from them. I'm not planning on buying meat for at least a week but will relish this chance to try something new.
  • spends today
    £1 Iceland
    £1.07 Mr T
    £2.25 Mr A
    £2.44 Butchers

having SC sausage casserole for dinner tonight using sausages from butchers
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • liz-paul wrote: »
    Thanks Meg - trying to do that with the freezer this month! I'm deffo getting better, but need more work. I hate the thought of running out of food and am a real food hoarder for 'just in case' :o Don't know what this just in case is as the shops are open all but about 2-3 days of the year. I think I'm preparing for nuclear war/natural disaster ;) My mum is the same and she puts it down to growing up poor.....

Need to get it into my head that there will be other deals the next week!

On the plus side, I've planned out some tasty meals for this month..... And I will work on using things up and only buying what we need.

Yes
    I am in the same boat. I went thru a time of depression a long time back after my mum died i went to the a counsellor via a gp
    I mentioned once about having full cupboards and she asked me if i ever went without food as a kid.that made me really think what i said after that.
    Gc 2013 +26 -5. -4 -7 -14 -15 -10.-8.20 +15p+30+5.80 Dec +9 GROCERY challenge 2014 Jan -2Feb -3 March -1.50 April +5.40 May +4.90 June -3.July 16.50/85

God bless my sweet "old man" Goldie that died in the early hours of 27 th March please see him on my avatar
  • CupOfChai wrote: »
    I'm up to about £113 now and although I went in the shop yesterday I managed not to spend anything. It's really hard not to just pop in for a look and see if there's anything reduced etc, because I have to walk past the place to get home each day! Any tips? I don't really feel comfortable with not carrying any money at all because then what if it happens that I need some money for something.

Sorry no tips i am so in the same boat just can not leave the ys alone and for all this walking i am doing i should be loosing weight lol NOT

• rogue999rogue999 Forumite
    169 posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Took kids to cinema too see The Croods and they asked for cinema snacks for a treat - so gave in as it's half term and they've been good. Snacks cost £11.98 for the 3 of us - apart from that didn't spend anything else (cinema tickets and bus fares out of my spending money).

Having Jacket potatoes (regular for DH and kids, sweet pot for me) with beans and/or cheese for tea. Make about 25 large oaty cookies with store cupboard ingredients this afternoon:

225g softened butter
    225g sugar
    170g condensed milk
    200g porridge oats
    150g SR flour
    pinch of cinnamon or mixed spice
    150vg raisins (optional)

Beat butter, sugar and condensed milk, add rest and mix together. Roll into golf ball size pieces and pop (well spaced out - I use 3 trays) on baking paper - mix is sticky, don't worry they don't have to be perfect. flatten down a little then bake for approx 15mins on 160. The paler they are the more chewy they'll be. Don't let them brown too much or they'll be hard - pale golden is good.
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Have managed to spend a £41.23 today:eek: however £11.99 was on a sack of potatoes although have given half of them to daughter. We had grandchildren today and they worked out how many lbs were in half a bag and then weighed them out. Kept them good and improves their math skills :rotfl:

Got to take Mum to Te$co tomorrow but with a lot of luck wont spend anything as still have a couple of vouchers that need using before end of month so will see what offers are on and stock up.
    Just having soup tonight as not very hungry, however there are cheese and crackers in for later if we want.

Tessiebear - you have done well with the turkey crown.

Another vote for slow cookers, I think they are brilliant and have never had any problems with tough meat. We have a large sc that was brought for us as a Christmas present a few years ago.
    MARCH £62.38/250