Always Outbid!!

13»

Replies

• GabbaGabbaHeyGabbaGabbaHey Forumite
    1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry! You can use different passwords (I do) - you are not giving access to your eBay account, just the ability for bids to be placed in the name of your eBay ID. ;)
    How on earth can a sniping site place bids for you without having your eBay password?

What's worse is that they have to store it in cleartext (not encrypted or hashed), so if they are ever hacked (or employ dishonest employees), your eBay account is vulnerable.

I'm pretty sure that it's against eBay's Terms & Conditions, as well.
    Philip
  • edited 31 March 2013 at 12:32PM
    techspectechspec Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    edited 31 March 2013 at 12:32PM
    Don't worry! You can use different passwords (I do) - you are not giving access to your eBay account, just the ability for bids to be placed in the name of your eBay ID. ;)

You can't - the site must have your details to log in for you.

My fave is:-

http://at.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm
  • porto_belloporto_bello Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    techspec wrote: »
    You can't - the site must have your details to log in for you.

My fave is:-

http://at.auctionstealer.com/home.cfm

Sorry for the confusion:

To clarify, I use a different password to log in to justsnipe.com to that which I use to log in on eBay - they're not even remotely similar.

Perhaps, when I originally registered, I did provide my eBay password to justsnipe, though I can't remember doing so.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
  • Thx for all the help & advice ;)
    How on earth can a sniping site place bids for you without having your eBay password?

What's worse is that they have to store it in cleartext (not encrypted or hashed), so if they are ever hacked (or employ dishonest employees), your eBay account is vulnerable.

I'm pretty sure that it's against eBay's Terms & Conditions, as well.
    As I'm a newbie to bidding, given what the above posts says, I'll not be registering with Justsnipe
  • likelyfranlikelyfran Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    I'm getting to grips with EBay's auctions :j however, everytime I bid (you need to bid xxx) I'm always outbid, no one's bid on the item for hours, yet the moment I bid, someone outbids me.

Can anyone help me understand whats happeneing please? ;)

Either press the final onscreen button for bid to go through when the seconds counter reaches 5/4 (making sure you've bid high enough to beat any other last minute, ie. serious, bidders - knowing amount to bid gets easier with practice).
    OR - Bid very high whenever you want to, (if you're loaded!) and it'll scare everyone off!
    *Look for advice, not 'advise'*
    *Could/should/would HAVE please!*

:starmod:
    “It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.” ~ Krishnamurti. :starmod:
    :dance:
  • The best way if you really want something is to sit there, and put in your absolute maximum amount in the last minute.
    It's traditional but it works as long as no one else is prepared to pay more!
    I thought using sniping programmes to automatically outbid the high bidder at the end automatically were not allowed, but I am not sure.
    Beware of putting in more than you actually want to pay though, the price may go to your maximum.
    The advantage of this is that you don't have much time to exchange bids with other bidders with the price going ever higher, many people don't bid until the last because of that possibility.
  • porto_belloporto_bello Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Bootlegger wrote: »
    The best way if you really want something is to sit there, and put in your absolute maximum amount in the last minute.
    It's traditional but it works as long as no one else is prepared to pay more!
    I thought using sniping programmes to automatically outbid the high bidder at the end automatically were not allowed, but I am not sure.
    Beware of putting in more than you actually want to pay though, the price may go to your maximum.
    The advantage of this is that you don't have much time to exchange bids with other bidders with the price going ever higher, many people don't bid until the last because of that possibility.

Unfortunately, too many people get a thrill of the white knuckle ride and bid too early or too much because the clock is counting down and they are desperate to win... and end up seriously overbidding!

I prefer loading up an auction sniper bid, with a clear, unemotional head, thinking through exactly how much I'm willing to pay and go with that amount - taking postage into account.

Occasionally, a bit of subsequent research may prompt me to modify the sniper bid up or down, but it will be based on rational rather than emotional reasoning and I never ever watch auctions... and having a sniper means I don't have to!
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
    ...If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    Groucho Marx
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides