selfemployed. is it worth signing on

ive been self employed for a number of years. 60 years old, receiving working tax credit and have a class2 NIC small earnings exception certificate. now i have lost the rental income from a property that i own, i am considering signing on for unemployent benefit ( what ever it is called nowadays ) because theoreticaly the £71 benefit will be more than the working tax credit i receive. will i get that amount. any advice is much appreciatted. geof

Replies

• HappyMJHappyMJ Forumite
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you looking for work?

Have you enough worked (employed...not self employed) over the last 2 tax years earning more than the lower earnings limit of National Insurance or to be credited with contributions almost every week/month?

With your Class 2 NIC exemption you won't get any benefits from that but you may have also had a paid employed job.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • gncgnc Forumite
    5 Posts
    hello, no to other paid work. got exception from the last 8 years.
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gnc wrote: »
    hello, no to other paid work. got exception from the last 8 years.
    You could get income based job seekers allowance but it will be reduced by any capital you have over £6,000 excluding the home that you live in and will be reduced by any income you have coming in from your partner if applicable.
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • gncgnc Forumite
    5 Posts
    no partner, so no income. and less than £6000 savings. so it looks like it would be worth signing on then, if i get the £71
    21.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    gnc wrote: »
    no partner, so no income. and less than £6000 savings. so it looks like it would be worth signing on then, if i get the £71
    Does that include the equity in the property that was rented out or are you now living in that house?
  • gncgnc Forumite
    5 Posts
    the property is a car repair workshop, now empty and on the market. no other property. now living there and friends places.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals