MISS SOLD Economy 7 11 years ago

edited 30 March 2013 at 3:25AM in Energy
21 replies 2.3K views

Replies

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    the suppliers know the ratio of night to day consumption by all the meter reads they ve had for donkeys years. a simple computer programme could be set up to easily warn the consumer that a single rate billing is far better. They have no excuse at all. I see many people who are using a fraction of a kwhr of the night rate in the 7 hours and a premium rate for all the rest. Its profiteering by the suppliers of the occupiers ignorance. I still remember the winner of Mastermind on BBC Watchdog trying to fathom a two tier electric bill and failing. The average user ( not the people on here I might add ) are baffled
  • stewie_griffinstewie_griffin Forumite
    892 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    becks120 wrote: »
    sorry 9 p too much on day rate

E.ON's current standard unit prices in the Eastern area according to uswitch are:

Single rate - 13.020p per kWh

E7 - 15.970p per kWh
    6.870p per kWh at night

The standing charge is the same on both so I've not included this. Therefore it's about 3p per kWh cheaper not 9p. You'll also be benefiting from some cheaper usage overnight even though you don't have storage heaters.

Do you remember the supplier and tariff you were on before you switched to E.ON/Poergen/TXU energi?

Have you ever spoken to E.ON in the past about your tariff?

When you did your extensive calculus did you take in to consideration the numerous price increases over the last 11 years. To come up with an accurate figure you need to know all the prices you've been paying plus the equivalent single rate prices.

What are you hoping/expecting E.ON to come back to you with? I'd be very surprised if they offer anything more than a token goodwill gesture.
  • stewie_griffinstewie_griffin Forumite
    892 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    the suppliers know the ratio of night to day consumption by all the meter reads they ve had for donkeys years. a simple computer programme could be set up to easily warn the consumer that a single rate billing is far better. They have no excuse at all. I see many people who are using a fraction of a kwhr of the night rate in the 7 hours and a premium rate for all the rest. Its profiteering by the suppliers of the occupiers ignorance. I still remember the winner of Mastermind on BBC Watchdog trying to fathom a two tier electric bill and failing. The average user ( not the people on here I might add ) are baffled

E.ON have written to customers more than once in the past couple of years who have E7 meters to let them know if they're better off or not on an E7 tariff.

Do they regularly test your maths skills on Mastermind? The winner may have been the undisputed expert on Charlie Chaplin but that doesn't mean he's any good at maths.
  • Fire_FoxFire_Fox Forumite
    26K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    becks120 wrote: »
    Hi,
    there has never been storage heaters at the Property.

I have never had storage Heaters in 30 Years.

I was never offered, or asked if i had Storage Heaters, this was 2002, I did not then have a Home Computer.

I property had been empty and the Old Eastern Electricity was the supplier.

I trusted the Door step seller . Was never offered any Alternatives, was none the wiser. A new meter was fitted, now i know Door step sellers were paid more commision for a better deal for the supplier, thats Business.

Yes i made a mistake trusting them, and should have investigated earlier, i know that.

PPI was mis sold to all. Why ? was everyone blind to the Terms and Conditions ? It was all in there. If you read the very small Print which they don,t want you to see.

It's nothing like PPI, you were not missold the tariff and it's nothing to do with small print.

It is your METER that is inappropriate for your use the TARIFF is correct for your meter, why that meter was installed is down to the developer asking for that or the installer choosing to put those in for whatever reason. We have the same in my block of flats, E7 meters presumably put in before the developer decided to go for cheaper panel heaters.

Nobody in their right mind relies on doorstep sales people, they are on commission, not energy experts and not experts on your lifestyle. However in this case they have not missold, you got an E7 tariff for an E7 meter.

Again it's down to the user and bill payer to check you are on the correct tariff for your usage patterns, there have been internet cafes for years or you could have telephoned around the different suppliers. Basically you didn't bother and you lost out financially. If you can't be bothered to research and read small print that is your choice, but don't whinge you didn't get the best deal. It's been ELEVEN years, that's FOUR THOUSAND days you did absolutely nothing, and you want to blame someone who was on your doorstep for less than an hour?? :rotfl:
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Nada666Nada666 Forumite
    5K Posts
    E7 electricity with gas central heating and gas supply for the kitchen and hot water is entirely reasonable. Plenty of households are able to take advantage of night rates in such a set-up.
  • Richie-from-the-BoroRichie-from-the-Boro Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    sacsquacco wrote: »

sacsquacco, I wasn't having a go at you mate, hence my use of the word venerable.

My reasoning when I said to the O/P that 'it is in reality, never going to happen in a month of Sundays', you have answered your good self - "its profiteering by the suppliers of the occupiers ignorance" Both GOV and suppliers are under the same warm duvet together, raking it in, the GOV will never put any extra burden on the supplier, indeed its in GOV's interest to protect and even enhance supplier income.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
  • edited 30 March 2013 at 9:28PM
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    MoneySaving Newbie
    edited 30 March 2013 at 9:28PM
    Thanks Richie, i did nt think you were having a go, just thought I d try another angle, and thanks to Stewie for letting me know EON are doing the decent thing at least. Pity the mighty BG havent got round to it. The Government have ordered the suppliers to offer the cheapest tariff available., well the cheapest tariff for these vast number of centrally heated two rate meters is to total the two rates together and bill single rate, as BG do if they are asked. I have got to the point where I am printing out a little leaflet explaining to people to get switched to single rate. I can see by their meters useage that they are throwing money away. I must admit tho that due to the old analogue timers being so messed up a lot of people are better off staying as they are. But thats a different story.
    Yes Nada666, a lot do watch the cheap rate hours and make enough use of it, but they are readily identified by their useage and dont need single rate,but you would nt believe how baffled most are about these funny meters they ve inherited and dont know why or what they have them for.
  • hi sacs I pay the following
    As it says on the Bill

Day first 104 kwh @ 26.64p each
    Day next 417 kwh @ 15.97 each
    Night Hours 142 kwh @ 6.87p each

So my day over charge outweighs the small useage at Night.
    The average use for storage Heaters is 57% of your Total rate.

Then my Bill changes half way through to (6 weeks)
    to a standing charge and a day rate of 15.97p

take a look at my night useage , it all front loaded to the Day time
    regards jul
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to save some more money, get off Standard tariff now- that's always the most expensive one. Your claim to be 'reasonably clued' does not hold water with reference to this matter.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • E.ON_Company_Representative:_HelenaE.ON_Company_Representative:_Helena Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    2.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi becks120,

I'm coming in a bit late on this really, there is already some really good advice on the thread.

I'm glad you've been in contact with us and someone is looking in to your case. I just wanted to give a bit of general info in these situations.

Meters fitted at properties will have been at the request of the builder, whatever that meter may have been. So we will bill according to that.

That's no to say that we can't change the tariff for most meters though, or bill you as if you had a one rate. But as others have said this is up to the customer to request.

Some customers even with gas do want an E7 tariff for their electricity.

When you speak to us ask to see what the best tariff would be for you now, we can also show you ways of looking at the tariff's as well.

Hope you get this sorted out.

Helena
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to [email protected] This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals