Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

March 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 44

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 February 2013 at 9:57AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 72.6K views

Replies

• medsdemonmedsdemon Forumite
    761 posts
    Spent £86.00 in Tes*o on sunday as had NOO food in the house. Yesterday bought milk £1.20 from Sains and a £1 in Pound*and today on crisps 6 pack for my lunches.
    Grocery challenge October: £228.28/£250.00 NSD 4 ( not completed)
    Grocery challenge November : £291.65/300.00 NSD 10
    Grocery challenge December : £0/240.00 NSD
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Norabatty - sorry to take so long to get back with flapjack - been hectic

I use tate and lyle recipe - but play with it, add what you fancy, i,ve used coconut or dried fruit, nuts, choc bits, whatever your family enjoys, about a 100g of additions works for me, and use cheapest oats and cheapest 'hard' marg - this makes about 12, but doubles or more easily - use baking parchment or greaseproof to line your tin and one great tip, use a pizza cutter to cut up - enjoy x

Ingredients

* 150g butter
    * 75g soft sugar
    * 3 rounded tbsp Golden Syrup
    * 250g rolled oats (porridge oats)

Method

1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160Cfan/ gas 4. Grease and line a shallow 20cm square tin with baking parchment.
    2. Put the butter, sugar and Golden Syrup into a medium pan and gently heat until melted. Stir in the oats. Turn into the tin, level and press the mixture evenly and firmly with the back of a spoon. Bake for 25 minutes, or until just golden around the edges.
    3. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes then mark into 12 or 16 pieces whilst still warm. Cool completely before turning out onto a board and cutting again with a sharp knife.
    Tip: Flapjacks will keep up to a week in an airtight container.

PS - NSD today :)
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • Evening all,

Is it me or are the days really flying by at the mo?

Another NSD here :j:j
    This thread is really helping me stay focused!

Dd was out for dinner so I had the remaining chicken mixed in with some couscous, simple but yummy!

Have a great evening all.

BE x
    March grocery challenge 147.28 / 150.00 :j

April grocery challenge 60.36 / 150.00
  • First real stock up of the month today, so bought lots of fresh veg and a quick throw in the over dinner for tonight. Always pleasantly surprised when I do a big stock up at A1di, as it only came to £15.

So far I've spent about £23 (leaving £57) this month, as I had to buy a couple of pasta pot meal deals over the weekend. I'm hoping I can make good use of the food I have in so that I can recoup some of the spends, but don't think that will be too difficult! My cupboards are fit to burst!
  • CupOfChaiCupOfChai Forumite
    1.4K posts
    I've spent £110.93 out of £160 so far and it's only the 5th :eek:. How much does anyone want to bet on me making my target?
  • NSD today!!!!:j
  • SmooshSmoosh Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Spent just over £40 so far, slightly worried as it's only the 5th! But I'm sure we can make up for it over the rest of the month. Did a reduced shop today and got loads of stuff, mainly meat for OH, so the freezer is absolutely packed. Spent about £11, if it hadn't have been reduced then it would've come to about £47, so very happy with that :) Planning a shopping day with OH tomorrow, so we're going to pack a picnic and hope the weather holds up so that we don't have to buy lunch. Homemade chips and veggie burgers with pitta bread and halloumi salad for dinner tonight! Yummy :)
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    NSD yesterday and today. No dinner photos as having bits from freezer - busy in garden.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Sadly, there is no way I can hope to read anywhere near all the posts on this thread, but I will pop in now and again.

I'm going for £350 again this month. One of these days, we might come in under budget!
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Islandmaid, your Flapjack recipe is in the index :)
    :heart: Married 1 March 2014 :heart::D DS born 06 Dec 2014 :D DD born 14 Dec 2018