Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

March 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 37

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

March 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 20 February 2013 at 9:57AM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 72.6K views

Replies

• £32.61 spent and freezer now rather full!
  • lizalloaredslizalloareds Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Spends from yesterday
    £4.79 HB
    £2.19 Mr T
    £2 PW
    sig updated
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi....hope everyone had a nice weekend...ours was busy so could do with another weekend to get over it...right to business despite spending£147 in costco on sat had no fruit for ds or dh packups but did have toms/cucunber/lettuce so they had to just have that....need to write a shopping list for aldi tomorrow

thinki will make some coleslaw with the veg offers (super 6) also need to do a bit of meal planning for next week and think about mothers day as have done nowt for that so far

take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Have to go to Sainburys on my lunch today but I am adamant that otehr than 'dailies' (bread/milk/lunch stuff) that this must be it along with the Makro shop - I have no need to go and buy as much as I am each day when on my break at work just because I end up in grocery stores!
    Will report back later with my purchases and whetehr or not I stick to just the neccessities!
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
  • sheeppapparsheeppappar Forumite
    252 posts
    NickJW wrote: »

Having Za'atar chicken with salad, hummus and wraps tonight.

Oo don't suppose you have a recipe do you? I got a jar of za'atar something or other for xmas and it's still sitting in the cupboard as I don't know what to do with it...

Congrats suze on baby and bluegreen on engagement xx :T

Spent about £30 so far of this week's £50 allowance and that should do us I think.. Maybe another £5 for topups .. :) so far so good.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend.. I am off to update sig and look for florenceem's recipe for HM wedges and also to see if I can find out what twinks are! xx
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • CupOfChaiCupOfChai Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Can I please be put down for £160 for March? I want to try and start doing these again, I have been keeping track myself but often find it hard to get time to come on here and post very often like a lot of you do, so I end up not bothering to post updates at all even though I'm still watching what I spend.

And I don't have my tally to hand so I don't know exactly, but over £100 of that has already been spent. The delivery shop was big this month, I can't imagine how I spent so much! I think we ran out of a load of condiment-type stuff at the same time so had to get a lot of those, but that surely wouldn't explain it all...
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Oo don't suppose you have a recipe do you? I got a jar of za'atar something or other for xmas and it's still sitting in the cupboard as I don't know what to do with it...

Congrats suze on baby and bluegreen on engagement xx :T

Spent about £30 so far of this week's £50 allowance and that should do us I think.. Maybe another £5 for topups .. :) so far so good.

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend.. I am off to update sig and look for florenceem's recipe for HM wedges and also to see if I can find out what twinks are! xx

Of course, but I wouldn't so much call it a recipe. It's one of my lazy meals (I've got 4 jars of Z'atar in the cupboard, because I use it so often!)

Za'atar chicken and salad wraps

Cut up chicken, liberally sprinkle the Z'atar, so it's fully coated + a bit more and a good glug of olive oil - marinade for 30 minutes, or ideally overnight.
    Make some salad - I do cherry tomatoes, little gem and spring onions.
    Fry the chicken in a pan until cooked.
    Get some wraps, place a dollop of hummus on it, put some chicken and salad in them, fold, and serve :D

Other uses:

Marinated Za'atar with roasted veg

Cut up chicken, liberally sprinkle the Z'atar, so it's fully coated + a bit more and a good glug of olive oil - marinade for 30 minutes, or ideally overnight.
    When ready to cook, heat the oven up. Cut up some veg (cherry tomatoes, red onions, courgettes etc - whatever you fancy),
    Put the chicken and veg in a roasting pan, cover with a bit more oil, and za'atar.
    Whilst cooking, put a cup of couscous (or however much you need for the people you are serving, with an equal measure of boiling water (or chicken/veg stock if you like) into a large bowl. Cover with a plate for 10 minutes or until cooked.
    Serve the chicken with the couscous when everything is ready

OR

Hummous and Za'atar + pitta breads

Place hummous on a plate, drizzle with olive oil, add za'atar and eat with pitta breads.

HTH - It's quite a versatile spice blend, so sometimes you can add it to replace anything which requires an Italian spice blend as well.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • NickJWNickJW Forumite
    678 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Hmmm - more spends yesterday

£15.96 in Mr S - Needed to get some more laundry detergent. Also got smoked salmon, wood polish, and orange juice on offer (felt a bit Vitamin C deficient yesterday).

I knew this month was going to be pricier than last month, because so much topping up needs to be done. :(

Oh well - will just have to do the best I can. Housemate is cooking butternut squash with sumac, parsley and corinader served with roasted salmon tonight.

Had toast with Marmite for breakfast and smoked salmon sandwiches for lunch.

Hope everyone is well. :D
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011 :T
  • sheeppapparsheeppappar Forumite
    252 posts
    thanks NickJW they look like recipes to me :)
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • IslandmaidIslandmaid Forumite
    5.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped! PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all,

Spent £2 today on toothpaste, an onion and a white cabbage.

Gone 'off plan' for dinner tonight (naughty) and we,re having fakeaway KFC, HM colslaw and chips.

Have a fab day all x
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130