Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• Hi Pete!!

I have used Sky for phone calls for a couple of years or more now. I have the full sky package for TV and as you say pay BT £10.50 and Sky then charges me 3p a min or whatever (same as BT...they are clever to keep track of the competition! ;) ) However, the best bit is the evening and weekend calls which are free local and national as you said. You can use the usual 1471, 1571 thingies...However when before broadband I had a problem with Rogue diallers on my PC, it was difficult to barr them without also having to stop overseas calls too, as this came as a combination (don't know why??) Doesn't bother me as I don't make overseas calls. No problems with Sky otherwise.
    pete99 wrote: »
    Has anyone had any experience of SKY for phones or broadband.
    If you pay BT rental of £10.50, SKY gives you free evening and weekend calls and free broadband up to 2Mb.
    If you want free all week calls + free international, SKY charges £5.
    To me that add up to £15.50 for ALL local and national and international calls and includes free broadband.
    Thats cheaper than Talk Talk, of am I missing something. (I know you need SKY TV to qualify, but most people have that already).
  • rabbitmoonrabbitmoon Forumite
    43 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    To reply to Darronaldo - I also had massive problems with BT recently. I was caught in the same quandry of trying to find a way to get activated without entering into a contract, but after hours of calls realised it was impossible.

But then the s**t really hit the fan. BT took two weeks activating my phone, then when they did, gave me the wrong number (they had promised to give me the old one back). It then took another three weeks to get the old number back. During this time I spent over 14 hours waiting on the phone (every single time I had to wait an hour to speak to anyone, then an incompetent advisor would put me through to someone else without warning, and I would have to wait another hour, often I'd then just get cut off). I had three managers promising to help, to 'take ownership of the situation' who promised to call on certain days but didnt. It was really dreadful, and I was going crazy. I also had 7 days of no dialling tone at all, so I couldnt even make an emergency call if I had to. There was no apology, no explanation, no promises met, really awful. Its such a shame that BT monopolise phone activations.
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure if I should be starting a new thread for my question (sorry, I'm new to forums). I've just been reading Martin's Cheapest 'Phone Alone' Solution under the Home Phones: UK's Cheapest Calls Provider, which refers to Primus Talk tariff which he says offers free evening and weekend calls. I've searched Primus's website (takes you to Planet-Talk) and I can't find any mention of a plan that offers free evening and weekend calls. Can anyone enlighten me please?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10_66 wrote: »
    I've searched Primus's website (takes you to Planet-Talk) and I can't find any mention of a plan that offers free evening and weekend calls. Can anyone enlighten me please?
    It can be difficult to find.

Here you go - http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/SaverProducts.aspx?source=saver

P.S. My additions to/interpretations of Martin's tip are under the 'HERE' link in my signature below.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote: »
    It can be difficult to find.

Here you go - http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/SaverProducts.aspx?source=saver

P.S. My additions to/interpretations of Martin's tip are under the 'HERE' link in my signature below.

How did you find that?! When I go to www.planet-talk.co.uk I seem to be on a different webpage. Instead of Saver Products on the tool bar, it shows just Products and on the image at the top of the page it says Primus Planet Talk instead of Primus Saver. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks for your help!
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're probably not going wrong - I have the link stored because others have had the same problem (in fact, I can't get there from their main site either).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Unless I'm mising something, Tiscali offer £14.99/month 2Mbit broadband including phone line rental - even cheaper than TalkTalk. Admittedly it's only 2Mbit, but why does Martin say TalkTalk is unbeatable on price for broadband+line rental?
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz, your 6 steps to reducing costs is a work of art! Thanks for sharing the list to follow (the Orchid programme - sounds like some trendy diet!).
  • 10_6610_66 Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've just signed up with Primus for Saver Option 2 and it occurred to me to ask whether, if at some time in the future I wanted to cancel their service, that it would mean I would then have to enter into a new contract with BT, therefore having to enter into a 12 month contract with them. The person at Primus said BT probably would try to insist on this, but wasn't sure. If anyone could clarify this for me, I'd be very grateful.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10_66 wrote: »
    I've just signed up with Primus for Saver Option 2 and it occurred to me to ask whether, if at some time in the future I wanted to cancel their service, that it would mean I would then have to enter into a new contract with BT, therefore having to enter into a 12 month contract with them. The person at Primus said BT probably would try to insist on this, but wasn't sure. If anyone could clarify this for me, I'd be very grateful.
    You can switch from one CPS provider to another without having to 'go back to BT' for calls (your line rental, of course, stays with BT) in between. In fact, I've done that myself without a hitch.

People migrating from another line provider (e.g. Talk Talk) have to go back to BT (as their line provider) first if they're daft enough to be considering going to another LLU (or WLR) provider. A 12 month contract for line rental might well be insisted upon at that point.

Those who do want to 'go back to BT' for calls can do so and that is when BT try to talk you into signing up for BTT2 or BTT3 - to which, if you accept, you would be contracted for 12 months. However, there is still nothing to stop you going to a CPS provider whilst on BTT2/3 - but you'll still have to pay BT for that calls package at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides