Cheapest Home Phones Discussion

in Phones & TV
276 replies 49.2K views

Replies

• HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pete99 wrote: »
    Thats cheaper than Talk Talk, of am I missing something.
    Only that calls to 055, 056, 07, 084, 087 and 09 numbers are not included.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • FrecklesFreckles Forumite
    28 Posts
    I am currently signed up to Talk Talk and have nothing but problems with my connection, when it does work its great i get between 5 and 6 mbps everytime but it just doesn't like working with my wifi and everytime i shut my PC down it forgets all of my settings and i have to re-connect to it every single time. I thought it was an issue with my wifi but i set it up at a friends house off their internet and it worked fine.
    I am not the only one who has found this either, I work with a number of people who have had the same issues, it forgets connections.
    Talk Talk up graded my line just before Christmas last year and ever since then it doesn't work properly, i will add they didn't inform me of this and were adament it had nothing to do with my intermitant line.
    I also have issues with my phone line it self, on a number of occasions I have gone to make a call and the line is dead, again I am not the only one who has experienced this. Talk Talk are again certain there is nothing wrong with my line but it happens too often to be a one off.

please don't let me put you off as i thinkit is a very good package, the amount you can download each month is more than enough for me and the speed is excellent just the little glitches with it get very very frustrating !!!!!
    What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?

Paid off £22,528.09 debt since Jan 18, and counting. Still got 18 months to go :T
  • rissottrissott Forumite
    16 Posts
    I signed up to TalkTalk when the offer first came out. According to the papers at the time they were overloaded.

It was quite an experience - phone stopped working, they made a mess of my DD. They sent threatening letters out where they were going to call in a collection company - due to their mess up of the DD.

The Customer Services took about 1 hour to get through to, then they transfer you to another area (without asking) and back on hold for an hour.
    This happened a number of times, sometimes being disconnected sometimes being routed back to the original number.
    They asked for the MAC code, the transfer code from previous internet company, which was provided and confirmation recieved, then they lost the MAC code - I had to request another which can only be provided after the first expires (30 days). Requested the second but then they took so long the second expired before the transfer happened.

Internet never came through after months of waiting - during this time I was paying for the Phone plus I had to keep paying my existing broadband connection while I waited for the transfer. - This was very very very expensive.

Gave up in the end - and cancelled the contract - for which they even tried to charge me a cancellation fee.

Documented and highlighted all the problems, but never even recieved an apology.

Do not have an experience of the actual internet service but have heard its not upto much.

TalkTalk - ended up costing me more, wasted time on calls to CS, chasing up MAC codes (days rather than hours), grief and no idea if it had an affect on my credit rating.

TalkTalk = buyer beware.
  • Anyone mention the inevitable Quidco yet? If you did want to sign up, it looks like up to £32 cashback depending on what you want.
  • Am I the only person that these people have condemned to purgatory. I would be inclined to offer aid to my worst enemy should he ever even contemplate an association with this nightmarish bunch of rogues.
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    I agree, I wouldn't touch either Talk Talk or Tiscali with a barge pole.

They are all long term contracts, they all offer mediocre service, and that is being polite.

Read Broadband sites such as Thinkbroadband and ISP Review to see what customers think of them.
  • Inactive wrote: »
    I agree, I wouldn't touch either Talk Talk or Tiscali with a barge pole.

They are all long term contracts, they all offer mediocre service, and that is being polite.

Read Broadband sites such as Thinkbroadband and ISP Review to see what customers think of them.

The article is about the cheapest,not the best customer service.:D
  • InactiveInactive Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    :D They aint cheap if they don't work and you can't get them fixed.. :D
  • YES!! ARGH, BT make me SOOOO angry. I want to follow Martin's advice and get Talk Talk with Broadband, but BT seem to have a monopoly setting up lines! And they want to lock me into a contract WITHOUT a cooling off period in which I can swap to a different provider. What can I do...?!

I've just moved into a new home (finally on the ladder!) and the line was 'Ceased' having not been used for years.

I called BT - waited 25 minutes for them to answer - they eventually said it would cost £125 to connect the line again!

When I asked why, she said she could connect me to complaints dept if I liked. She kept on quoting that price robotically when I questioned her further about what could have ceased the line. What a joke! It's probably BT's fault its disconnected, perhaps if BT have used my line for another house.

Broke from moving, I called back - waited another 25-30 minutes in a que ("I'm sorry, but we're extremely busy at the moment" is the message regardless of when you call during the day!) and after being put through to the wrong person (and waiting again in a que) they said they'd only charge me if the wiring in my house was the issue. Argh, so the same issue got 2 different answers! [gzzgz sound of teeth grating]

They missed the appointment for the engineer to come and check it out, and failed to call. When I called them they said the person had told me the wrong day. No real apology that my wife had taken the day off.

The bottom line is - I want Talk Talk - but I seem to have to use the monopolising, smug and ineffiencient BT to get one. BT also said there was NO cooling off period - once I was connected I would be locked into a 12 month contract! That can't be right? Talk Talk said they have to give me a cooling off period by law. ARe BT wising up to this advice?

All I want to do is use a different provider to BT - but they seem to hold all the aces! Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrg - SO frustrating

Can anyone help?
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darronaldo wrote: »
    The bottom line is - I want Talk Talk - but I seem to have to use the monopolising, smug and ineffiencient BT to get one.
    Not so. Talk Talk could do it - but won't (see HERE).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides