Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

February 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 35

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 5 January 2013 at 3:22PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.8K views

Replies

• edited 31 January 2013 at 8:40PM
    MrsCDMrsCD Forumite
    795 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Posts Xmas Saver! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭
    edited 31 January 2013 at 8:40PM
    Just catching up with all the posts! It's taken me over half an hour to catch up!!
    Anyhow, now I'm up to date, I'm back in for Feb starting tomorrow. Thanks Coxy for putting me on the list a few days ago.

It's good to see Florenceem back :wave: Hello again, we've missed you and your lovely photos.

Tonight, I made soda bread and veggie broth - yummy.

Soda bread

Heat oven to 220C

225g plain flour
    half teaspoon bicarb
    half teaspoon salt - I didn't put that much in
    half teaspoon sugar
    150ml plain yogurt
    100ml milk - add a bit at a time - you may need more or less, depending on your flour

Mix the dry together, mix the wet together, then mix all together. As easy as that! Work quickly and don't overwork the mixture. Gather the mixture into a ball, put onto a floured work bench, shape into a flattened round shape and transfer to a baking sheet. Cut a deep cross over the top and bake for about 30 minutes. When cooked, knock on the bottom of the loaf - it should sound hollow.

- edited to say that this is adapted from a recipe in the Adsa magazine.

This was served (spread with 'butter') with my

Lentil veggie broth

Potatoes, chopped into small chunks
    Onions, chopped
    Carrots, chopped however you wish
    Veg stock mixed in water - enough to cover all the veg
    A good couple of handfuls of red lentils

Boil until cooked. The potatoes and lentils go a bit mushy to make the broth thicker.

Not sure about cost, but couldn't have been that much.

NB. Oven still hot for making cakes after tea!

Now my freezer is stocked to bursting (again) I'm hoping I won't need to buy too much for a few weeks.
    #59 Saving for Christmas 2020
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    MrsCD wrote: »
    Lentil veggie broth

Potatoes, chopped into small chunks
    Onions, chopped
    Carrots, chopped however you wish
    Veg stock mixed in water - enough to cover all the veg
    A good couple of handfuls of red lentils

Boil until cooked. The potatoes and lentils go a bit mushy to make the broth thicker.

Not sure about cost, but couldn't have been that much.

NB. Oven still hot for making cakes after tea!

Now my freezer is stocked to bursting (again) I'm hoping I won't need to buy too much for a few weeks.

Can I just recommend using knorr ham stock cubes for this? i can now only find them for sale locally in [email protected] but what a fantastic flavour it gives to soup. Its like a rich gammony flavour you get from boiling a ham hock for ages.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/stock_sauce_mix_and_gravy/knorr_stock_cubes_ham_8x10g.html
  • Ok my Feb budget is £90
  • NSD.
    Usual brekkie. I found a lingering Breaka... bar in the cupboard - that was my elevenses with a cuppa. Lunch was poached egg on HM bread toasted and a satsuma. I think that is the last satsumas I am buying this season - definitely past their best now.
    I had a slice of HM syrup cake with a cup of tea mid afternoon.
    Dinner - chicken thigh, HM wedges and salad - grated carrot, red onion, celery and yellow pepper. Enough salad left for Mr F's lunch tomorrow.

Thursdaysdinner.jpg?t=1359662174
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    FLO, is that a batter you have put on thechicken it looks like KFC whats the recipe pls xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • lbnblbnblbnblbnb Forumite
    567 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Meal planned tonight as we get our veg box on a Thursday.
    F: pizza (homemade base, sauce, etc)
    S: celeriac and potato bake with leek and mushroom roll (from Christmas, freezer)
    S: spiced swede cakes and veg curry
    M: veg chilli (poss in slow cooker)
    Tu: happy cow burgers
    W: baked leek and rice risotto thing

Other: jellies for kids, mincemeat plait and ice cream from freezer, frozen stollen for OH.
    Off to run list through my supermarket and sub ingredients to get the cost down as low as possible.
    Grocery Challenge (2 adults 2 kids)
    19th June -18th July £91:15/£150 61%

Save £12,000 in 2013 No. 188 £7382/£12,000 62%
    2013 Frugal Living Challenge
    Debt free October 2012
  • craigywv wrote: »
    FLO, is that a batter you have put on thechicken it looks like KFC whats the recipe pls xxx
    Not a batter - coating - chicken still had skin on. Just mix flour + seasonings of choice. Dip chicken piece in beaten egg and then in flour mix - repeat to get a good coating. Then cook in oven - I cover with foil so the chicken is cooked through then remove foil to crisp off. Some people fry chicken a bit first then finish in oven. I don't bother with that bit.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Can you please put me down for £340 this month x
  • Another spend - £1.85

£45.55 / £50

Arghhhhh - under budget though
    Seal pot challenge no 7- :) # 331 Saved £140 SPC - Target £30
    Grocery challenge - £100 a week
    Weekly Spend Challenge - £40 :)
  • going to stick with £70 a week even though I have been over the last 2 weeks, must try harder!
    September GC 30th aug-4th Oct £332.74/£375 NSD 3
    Gc Jan £234.85/200 :(Feb £298.92/280:(March £298.42/£280:( April £270.49/280:) May Gc £351.08/£350 June £300.06/280 July £256.15/£240
    Aug £318.74/£280