Tiscali bad customer service + Talk Talk

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
10 replies 860 views
jules99jules99 Forumite
93 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Broadband & Internet Access
have been with Tiscali broadband for 2 years now and have had no problems apart from the odd time when I haven't been able to connect. I have never had to ring customer services until now and have to tell you that their service is incompetent. I am so wound up.

For a start, it's like many organisations customer services where you ring up and are given a selection to choose then once you are through to what you think is the correct department you are asked for your phone number, date of birth, full address and name without asking what the problem is first (as it may not be the right department). On selecting the option it also asks you to put your telephone number into the keypad on the phone - not sure why this is if they ask for it, unless they can get your account details up before they answer.

Last week I updated my broadband service at £14.99 which is 1mb to 2mb which includes Tiscal Talk. On selecting this on their website it says 'includes line rental'. I received the letter which said line rental would be £10.99 a month. I emailed Tiscali to cancel this explaining that I either misunderstood or their info wasn't quite clear. No response.

I rang the number suggested on the letter today as the go live date for this service is 1st August. There was an option for cancellations but I didn't choose this thinking as I am a new Talk Talk customer I better speak to someone in another department. Wrong decision. BUT instead of them transferring me to the correct department they transferred me to a completely different number and told me to choose option 1 when answered.

This was 'technical support'. Nevertheless I chose this as there was no alternative and after explaining my situation was told it wasn't the right department - he would transfer me to cancellations.

After speaking to someone else, was told I need to speak to 'cancellations'. She gave me the number I rang in the first place. This time I selected 'cancellations' from the options which was 'busy'. Held for 8 minutes, each time the automated woman irritating me even more by saying 'sorry we are busy'. Makes me wonder why other departments answered quick but yet cancellations couldn't - is this because everyone wants to cancel or they are making it difficult for customers to cancel.

I wasn't prepared to wait any longer whilst my phone bill was going up but rang the number again this time choosing what I had on my first call -to talk to an adviser. Was told to ring the number that the first person transferred me to and select option 1. I explained this was not cancellations but technical support. Again I rang this number and was put on hold. At this point I hung up.

I was almost in tears because of the anger building up. A simple thing and each person knew my request and that I had been messed around but not one could help. Why can't one person offer to pass a message on to the correct department for them to ring me back. Why did I not matter to them?

I have ended up worrying now that it will go live on 1st August and I will have even more problems cancelling, that BT will write to me (better ring them now) and will have to repeat all the above again.

By the time I spoke to the last person I said I am not repeating all my details until I know I have reached the correct department.

Anyone else had problems cancelling?

Rant over - sorry

Replies

• Do you still want your calls on Tiscali Talk and your line rental with Talk Talk,if so this is not possible. Only BT allow you to CPS your calls to another supplier.
  • jules99jules99 Forumite
    93 Posts
    Sorry - I am with BT, It's Tiscali Talk I signed up for. I put Talk Talk in the Subject line in error
  • olly300olly300 Forumite
    14.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope BT have sorted this out for you.

Even if they have I suggest you write to the customer service department of Tiscali via first class recorded delivery asking them to cancel, and informing them of the hassle you had on the phone and the fact they didn't respond to your email. State that if your letter is not acknowledged within 7 days ( and if the service have gone live if they do not cancel you service within 21 days) you will report them to OFCOM due to their misleading advertisements and refusal to deal with your request via email or on the phone.

I had problems with Tiscali i.e. phone calls that took 45 minutes to get through to someone, and unanswered emails so I wrote them a letter and sent it by recorded delivery. At the end of the letter I stated that if they haven't done what I asked for within 14 days I would inform OFCOM.

My complaint was for them to send me a Direct Debit form because they muck up my billing. I had informed them in the emails and previous phone calls that I would cancelling my Direct Debit if they hadn't sorted the matter out within 30 days.

I received an apology letter and a direct debit form.

They then tried to charge me an administration charge for paying by cheque so I wrote them a letter informing them if it wasn't refunded by my next bill I would be reporting them to OFCOM due to the previous correspondence and their inaction. I didn't bother sending this letter by recorded delivery, strangely they managed to get it and refund me.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • This may be a little long winded so bear with me.

There is a procedure in place that if you place an order with another Line Rental Provider and change your mind it does get cancelled. Here is what you have to do:-

Call BT on 0800 800 030 (any option will get you through to the right dept) with your BT account number. Inform them that an order has been placed to change the service and that you want to cancel the order. They will ask you to contact BT back 48 hours before the expected date that Tiscali are supposed to take over the line (BT have to give the other company a chance to cancel the order) & if it has not been cancelled then BT can cancel the order on your behalf (but only 48 hours before the other company are supposed to take over the line).

Told you it was long winded. What date is the takeover meant to take place?
  • That is one avenue to take (writing a letter) but 14 days is too long to wait because a typical Service Provider (I expect that the order has already been placed)order takes 14 days to go live so by the time the letter has been received and actioned you will already be a Tiscali customer.

Follow the steps that I advised to you and you should not fail.
  • StubertStubert Forumite
    733 Posts
    I posted this is one of the thread below. I cancelled last week and the guy told me that the account would be cancelled straight away. Needless to say it hasn't been and I tried calling today and gave up after a while... Will try again tomorrow I guess.
  • jules99jules99 Forumite
    93 Posts
    Thankyou all for your responses. Last night after I calmed down (with a glass of wine), I decided to ring BT and was wound up again but the end results were better.

I was in a queuing system for 15 minutes, finally someone answered. I explained the problem and they said they would have to put me on hold whilst they looked into it. He came back after a few minutes and said he would have to transfer me to someone else. I thought 'here we go again'. I was then transferred which seemed to be the same queuing system I started in. Waited another 15 minutes. It seemed to me that the first adviser didn't know what to do so decided to let someone else deal with it.

The second person said he was familiar with complaints such as mine against Tiscali and similar companies and asked my permission if he could complete a complaint form to send to Ofcom (Telephone man, this is what you suggested - thankyou).

He said that my account with BT would not be cancelled and he would forward the complaint to Tiscali.

What I am sure will happen though is that Tiscali will bill me from 1st August when it goes live and BT will also do so. I could either wait and see what happens and not use the phone (I am away from 4th August for a week so should be easy not to use) or write to them as Olly300 suggested but then I am sure they will be receiving BT's complaint shortly.

I sent Tiscali an email last night telling them of my difficulty speaking to someone who is willing to help me and asked them to give me to either cancel my order (which they should have done in the first place on receipt of my first email which they did receive because i was told they had it), OR ring me back and let me tell them I want to cancel. They haven't done either as yet.

I feel now that I want to cancel my broadband with them to make a point but that may be a lot of hassle changing over.

Any luck Stubert?
  • StubertStubert Forumite
    733 Posts
    I can't login anymore so its seems to have cancelled itself now...just took a while. Didn't receieve the email he promised but you can't have everything. Need to check my bank statements to check when the last payment should be as I've cancelled before the years out!

Edit: I hope you get yours sorted out Jules.
  • jules99 wrote: »
    Thankyou all for your responses. Last night after I calmed down (with a glass of wine), I decided to ring BT and was wound up again but the end results were better.

I was in a queuing system for 15 minutes, finally someone answered. I explained the problem and they said they would have to put me on hold whilst they looked into it. He came back after a few minutes and said he would have to transfer me to someone else. I thought 'here we go again'. I was then transferred which seemed to be the same queuing system I started in. Waited another 15 minutes. It seemed to me that the first adviser didn't know what to do so decided to let someone else deal with it.

The second person said he was familiar with complaints such as mine against Tiscali and similar companies and asked my permission if he could complete a complaint form to send to Ofcom (Telephone man, this is what you suggested - thankyou).

He said that my account with BT would not be cancelled and he would forward the complaint to Tiscali.

What I am sure will happen though is that Tiscali will bill me from 1st August when it goes live and BT will also do so. I could either wait and see what happens and not use the phone (I am away from 4th August for a week so should be easy not to use) or write to them as Olly300 suggested but then I am sure they will be receiving BT's complaint shortly.

I sent Tiscali an email last night telling them of my difficulty speaking to someone who is willing to help me and asked them to give me to either cancel my order (which they should have done in the first place on receipt of my first email which they did receive because i was told they had it), OR ring me back and let me tell them I want to cancel. They haven't done either as yet.

I feel now that I want to cancel my broadband with them to make a point but that may be a lot of hassle changing over.

Any luck Stubert?

Glad to help Jules.
    PM me if you require any further advice.
  • taxi73taxi73 Forumite
    20.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tiscali are the pits ...I'm going through roughly the same except they cancelled my calls via talk talk and haven't put them through to theres so no outgoing calls for 14-21 days!!!...12 phonecalls and 4 e-mails later and still not sorted costa a fortune as ringing off my mobile...all this to cancel a dearer package that they were trying to sell me...monday morning I will be ringing for my mac code...I've been with them 41/2 years
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

PCR tests to end for fully vaccinated

Travellers returning to England in Oct

MSE News

Free Homebuilding & Renovating Show tix

London, Harrogate & Shepton Mallet

MSE Deals