Dual Insurance??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
14 replies 1.1K views
tbaileytbailey Forumite
4 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Insurance & Life Assurance
I got a renewal from my contents Insurance provider in Nov, the cost had gone up, I cancelled my direct debit and took out a new policy at a much lower cost, the old Insurer Esure wrote to me to say if I didnt re-arrange my direct debit my policy would be cancelled, as I wanted my policy cancelled as I has a new provider I ignored the letters, I then got a bill from the old company requesting payment, I contacted hem to advise I had a new policy that covered the time frame and they asked for a copy of this, which I scanned and emailed in, I then recieved another bill, slightly lower than the first, I spent 45minutes on the phone last night trying to understand how they can justify this charge, to be told if I had claimed (So in a hypothetical scenario) then they would have been liable,I am being told this is covered by Insurance legislation, which I asked for and they faied to give me, I said that I hadnt claimed and therefore still didnt understand the charge, the chap got overly personal on the phone when I tried to explain the confusion over the letters, I have been poorly and so Home insurance I dont want is not that high on my list, they are saying I had dual insurance and have to pay the charge or they will send debt collectors after me! Please advise me as I am sure this cant be right????? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cancelling your dd didn't cancel your policy. Just the way you paid for it.
  • InsideInsuranceInsideInsurance Forumite
    22.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why isnt it right? They told you, as you had previously agreed to, that they would renew if you didnt tell them otherwise. You admit you didnt tell them otherwise so they did what they told you they would.

Insurers sometimes will back down if you show you took out insurance elsewhere, especially if you claim you never received their renewal notice etc but clearly in this case you did and chose not to act. Whilst you say you were ill and so couldnt phone them to advise not to renew you clearly werent so ill if you were able to shop around and find it cheaper.

Be somewhat thankful that they didnt cancel the policy for non-payment as then you'd have a lifetime of high insurance premiums to pay as mainstream insurers will not touch people who've had policies voided.

They are correct in stating that with two policies in force both insurers would normally share the cost of any claims subject to the terms of each policy.
  • spacey2012spacey2012 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Where two policies cover the same risk the policy which has been in force the longest is the one that would be required to pay out.
    Be happy...;)
  • FlameCloudFlameCloud Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    spacey2012 wrote: »
    Where two policies cover the same risk the policy which has been in force the longest is the one that would be required to pay out.

This is completly wrong.
  • Thanks for the above, I have provided them with my new policy details and as per the above they claim that they would have to pay out as they had the policy had I claimed, which I didnt, during my previous call with them I was lead to believe by sending in my valid insurance cert from the comapny that took over I would not be charged, effectively I am paying too lots of Insurance making the saving of changing void?
    This seems a little un fair as the letters stated that by not contacting my policy would cancel it didnt say you must call if you want the policy or not or we will charge you for this, I took this at face value and assumed that would end my policy, they are saying on the third page of the renewal they sent it had the charges written down, who really looks at the third page? I look at the cost of the policy and as soon as I saw it thought, thought they were being greedy with the cost, it had gone up by £30ish for the year, despite no changes or claims being made and now they want £36ish for not calling them, yes whilst I shopped around for another policy whilst ill, comparison sites make that very easy, when you cant breathe calling a centre and speaking with foreign people about insurance is a lot like hard work to be honest, I can say this is lesson learnt, but dont agree that the cost is proportionate and the all important thing is, I didnt claim anything never have done even though I have always been insured!! I was treated for my illness so have proof that I have been very unwell and therefore as I state calling an Insurance comapny to arrange not to have it anymore just wasnt really on my radar!!
    Questio is if I ask the FSA will they write to them an try and help me with this? I cant see anything thats states this on the internet about dual policies etc and charges?
    22.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The FSA will not write to them, they do not deal with individual customer queries.

The FOS is the body that does deal with complaints but you must first have put the complaint to the insurer first and either (a) had a final response from them (which is a letter or email) or (b) 8 weeks has passed

If the covering letter to the renewal is misleading then put the complaint in. I have to admit I have never seen one where it wasnt as clear as day from page 1 but there may be exceptions.
  • So I need to write a letter of complaint now before I can do anything?
    Would this be something that Consumer direct would deal with also?
    22.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tbailey wrote: »
    So I need to write a letter of complaint now before I can do anything?

Legally it doesnt have to be a letter, but this is the best route as its easy to reproduce what you "said" and if you get proof of posting then legally they are considered to have received it (dont need to use recorded delivery)

The FOS will check that you have followed the complaints process for the company, so check what that is in your policybook and do what it says.
  • jonesMUFCforeverjonesMUFCforever Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO even a letter of complaint will be rejected.
    The facts as OP has written them is that he/she did not cancel the policy merely the method of payment.
    Anything OP gets back will be a gesture of goodwill only.

I do wish people would not be so quick to waste the FOS with complaints that are 100% their fault.
    I have said it before and I will say it again it is time the FOS charged everybody for logging a complaint with the 'winner' getting its money back.
  • IMO even a letter of complaint will be rejected.
    The facts as OP has written them is that he/she did not cancel the policy merely the method of payment.
    Anything OP gets back will be a gesture of goodwill only.

I do wish people would not be so quick to waste the FOS with complaints that are 100% their fault.
    I have said it before and I will say it again it is time the FOS charged everybody for logging a complaint with the 'winner' getting its money back.

Sorry this is a little presumptious, as their are circumstances I would rather not be spouting on the net, I am looking for constructive advise to ensure that I am not being charged without due course, it's not always that Black and white in real life and as for the comment about "what goes around comes around" Slightly offensive to say the least!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides