February 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 5 January 2013 at 3:22PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.3K replies 86.8K views

Replies

• peony40peony40 Forumite
    518 posts
    ✭✭
    peony40 wrote: »
    I had to pop to the local shops to collect a prescription so decided to start February's shop early. I went into the Co** and spent £33.07 which leaves £6.93 until the 8th Feb.

I took advantage of the special offers and doubled up on items that I know I use weekly, so if I have planned correctly I should need to spend less next week. (fingers crossed please!)

It's good to be back and being focussed again. :j
    My goodness I have been getting in a muddle with figures :o I never was any good at maths and now coupled with fibro fog and peri-menopause I don't stand a chance :rotfl:

Right, after numerous workings out, I have decided to work on a fortnightly budget as this will cover the items that I tend to double up on to take advantage of special offers.

So I now have £19.56 left for week 1, and £27.37 left for week 2. (I have a separate purse with separate compartments for each week together with a post-it to remind me what I am trying to do!)

Now off to freeze week 2 items or hide them from hubby so that they don't get used up in week 1. Phew!

I'm having a NSD today.

Wishing you all a nice day.
    2019 Sealed Pot Challenge 107
  • edited 31 January 2013 at 1:29PM
    sheeppapparsheeppappar Forumite
    252 posts
    edited 31 January 2013 at 1:29PM
    kjgkgj wrote: »
    I was looking through the freezer tonight and we have a pack of bacon, there are two of us and I wondered if you guys have any meal ideas for us?
    Also once the bacon is defrosted will it keep in the fridge for a day or so?
    Thanks in advance!

Yes I would say the bacon will be fine.
    If you have eggs and a bit of parmesan then you could make this: bulk up with mushrooms, onions if you have them.. leave the wine out if you don't have it. Pasta is about 35p for a supermarket value bag of about 500g so the expensive item would be parmesan if you have to buy it.

Spaghetti alla carbonara

This makes a really light spaghetti carbonara.. nice and tasty but don’t expect loads of sauce!

Serves 2
    Ingredients
    75g bacon, chopped into small pieces
    1 garlic clove, peeled and halved
    3 eggs
    2 tbsp dry white wine
    80g fresh parmesan cheese, grated
    Salt and pepper
    150g dried spaghetti or pasta (allows 75g each)

Cook the bacon and garlic in a non-stick pan over a medium heat for 3-4 mins until the bacon is cooked. Turn off the heat and discard the garlic .
    Meanwhile, in a bowl, beat the eggs with the parsley, wine and half the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
    Cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water.
    When the pasta is cooked, gently reheat the bacon in its pan. Drain the spaghetti thoroughly, then return to the pasta pan. Immediately add the egg mixture with the bacon.
    Take the pan off the heat and toss well – the eggs will cook in the residual heat to form a light creamy sauce. Add the rest of the cheese, toss lightly and serve.

Or just chop the bacon up, fry with whatever veg you have, add tin of toms (about 31p) and whatever dried herbs are lurking in your cupboard.. and the aforementioned value pasta..

Or bacon and scrambled eggs on toast nom nom.

Totally loving the idea of breaking the monthly spend down into weeks too lushlifesaver.. I am off to update my spreadsheet now as should make things easier to control..

NSD today lalala! have a good day x
    CC1 £7,944.10
    CC2 £2,680.03
    CC3 £1,020.88
  • Hello just migrated from the January thread.

Can I be put down for £350 please.

This is to include all food, cleaning, toiletries and anything else that might crop up like medicines, light bulbs, batteries and such like.

This is £50 less than January's target which came in at £274.42/£400.

February is a shorter month, however we have less food in cupboard and freezer this month.

I have an ASDA delivery due this evening for the start of my February challenge - ouch a whopping £201.13, however I have stocked cupboards up and shouldn't run out of much throughout Feb. Hopefully only need to buy bread and milk and veggies.
    January Grocery Challenge 274.42/£400

Feeding 2 Adults and DD 20, DS1 19 & DS2 13
  • I will need to have another small shop today for some salad items and bin bags -ooops forgot them yesterday.

Chicken and veggies for dinner tonight:)
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022 :staradmin:staradmin:staradmin
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
  • craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi all mr t shop yesterday of 12.33 and 22.19 for sainsbobs but had a 10 money card for here so really 12.19. got everything f&v milk, meat shouldnt need anything for a while now. got a pork shoulder joint from 6.49 down to 2.20 so have cooked and sliced for dinner tonight any leftovers will be marinated and made into GOK/FLO recipe for fried rice yummy for tomorrow nights tea with some curry sauce. what a jump in prices in mr t value tea bags up to 36 p i think or something like that also basically over price hike..............its gettin scary. xxx
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Last month didn't go too badly for us. I'm sure I spent within budget. It's just DH's little treats that sent us over ;).

This month is shorter but we're away self catering for a week so I will be cooking less from scratch for a few days.

So £350 again for me please. Thank you!
  • Bikingbint wrote: »
    I have the lakel.. slicer and I love it, it can be a bit of a pain in the .... to clean but if you have a dishwasher I believe that it can go in there. It slices wafer thin, which is good as that is how I like my meat sliced, but is very adjustable. I understand that you can use it on bread so it can also slice quite thickly if required.
    Bikingbint
    Thanks - I am not decided about getting a slicer yet. Case of - do I need it - can I do without it.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Joining you here now after last shop today and with careful use of a £5 voucher managed to just come in under budget by £2.94
    Will be ordering some meat possibly next week from a local catering butchers but include the cost when and as we use it.
    Already set my budget in an earlier post.

Wishing good luck to everyone.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • jedi82jedi82 Forumite
    410 posts
    Hi, just reporting a spend of £10.79 so far this week on bread/cheese/milk from local shop. Car is broken so need to wait til tomorrow to do a shop....

Just made a batch of twinks after DD2 came out of playgroup and announced that this afternoon she wants to make 'Nobby Hobs'. Made me giggle :rotfl:

No more spends planned til tomorrow.
    Jedi x
    Finally getting my life on track. Onwards and upwards.
    BSC No 327
    GC Jan £336.91/£450
    GC Feb £0/£400
  • Afternoon all:wave:,
    Went to [email protected], then Ald! this morning and spent £50.39. This should do for next week, just need to top up on meat from the butchers, f&v and some bread. Going around [email protected] I found quite a few lines were cheaper than MrT, but I won`t be doing this as a weekly shop, as the petrol used to get there, uses up any savings I would have made:sad:. But I will be going a bit more frequently from now on.

I`ve meal planned for the whole of February:D, so next week will go something like this:

Fri: Shephards pie & veg
    Sat: Chilli con carne from leftover mince
    Sun: Roast Chicken, veg and trimmings
    Mon: Chicken left over from sunday, mash, veg
    Tue: Jacket, Baked beans & salad
    Wed: Fish, cous cous/rice, peas & carrots combo
    Thu: Burgers butchers own, wedges, baked beans, salad.

Saturdays are usually movie night for the family, so have already brought some popping corn, which is much cheaper and proberly healthier than shop brought ready made popcorn. I will proberly add sugar though, as we all have a sweet tooth.
    Grocery Challenge 2013: July week 1 £90/£87.41 :D
    week 2 £90.00/£118.38:eek: week 3 £90/£60.54:jweek4 £90/£79.90 week5 £45/£00
    End of mortgage april 2030
    Mortgage overpayment from june 2013 aiming for £400 a month: £451
    Emergency fund 2013 from june £70