Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

January 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 164

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 12 December 2012 at 3:40PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.1K replies 132.5K views

Replies

• XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    xspender...chocolate banana bread ???? have u a recipe u could share...that sounds lovely

ta tess

It is a gluten free recipe but I am sure it would work just the same with ordinary SR flour.

This makes one 2lb loaf.

150g of sultanas or 100g of dark choc chips (I use a mix of both)
    100g margarine
    125g sugar
    2 large eggs
    3 large ripe bananas mashed with a fork
    1 tsp vanilla essence (ok without it if you haven't got any in)
    150g gluten free SR flour
    50g of cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 160 degrees or gas mark 3 and line a loaf tin.

Cream the sugar and marg together then add the eggs bit by bit. Next add the sultanas/choc chips and then the bananas and the vanilla essence. Beat in the flour until it is all well mixed together.

Pour into the tin and smooth the top. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour. Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes.

It tastes amazing when it is still warm. Even my DH who doesn't have a sweet tooth loves it:)
    PAYDBX 2020 £3578.25/£10,000 35.8% Emergency Fund - 100% Savings Target by 30th June - 45%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 156 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • XSpenderXSpender Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Went to Mr S tonight at about 5.30pm and it looked like it had been hit by a plague of locusts:eek: I couldn't even get carrots:eek:

I did very well on offers on things I wanted anyway and a couple of whoopsies and cannot believe I only spent £65 which included £12 on wine and £4 on tuna and enough dog food for 2 weeks:D. I did not buy any meat except a big pack of ham so this will have helped keep the cost down.

The snow is falling heavily here now and I would love not to have to leave the house tomorrow but DS has a party to go to.:(
    PAYDBX 2020 £3578.25/£10,000 35.8% Emergency Fund - 100% Savings Target by 30th June - 45%

Days since CC used - Christmas Eve 2019 - 156 (7 in 2019 + 2020)
  • MadamMim2013MadamMim2013 Forumite
    845 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    NSD due to the snow... grrr bloomin hate the stuff.. looks beautiful but causes absolute mayhem! Hope everyone else had a good day despite the weather..
    "There's a little witch in all of us"🥰
    DEBT FREE 06/2018
  • Heavy snow fall here, as in other places in the uk.

My food order was delivered today, wasn't expecting it because of the bad weather and on the online tracking it said mere would be a one day delay due to severe weather warning, but it was just a couple of hours late. Poor delivery man, really felt for him, he said he still had in excess of 30 deliveries to make and at that time it was about 4pm or so.

One my own for tea so had frozen fish and chips. The fish was disappojting, lotsof grey/black looking bits in it, but it was youngs, so not a cruddy make i wouldn't have thought.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • ok so this week had a spend up as back into routine now £69 spent this week between sainsburys & iceland. have had 2 vouchers from milk and more so 2 X 4 pints of milk, 4 rolls of kitchen roll, 12 loo rolls, fruit/veg box and 1 loaf of bread £15 in total but that will come off next week- may be a little over this month but been laid up this week after op and have relied on other half for the shopping- i curse supermarket dvd sections.
    Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

FEB challenge £128/£270 balance £142
    £2 saving club £140
  • A few days worth of spends to update.

2 NSD's woo.

Food - £8.82
    Household - £16.50
    Eating out - £29.41 ( MUST STOP DOING THIS )
    Fun - £5.70

Had 3 teeth out this morning under GA so feeling a bit sorry for myself, so off to update sig now, then bed for me.

X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • KatyReed+5 wrote: »

Had 3 teeth out this morning under GA so feeling a bit sorry for myself, so off to update sig now, then bed for me.

X

Ouch!

Hope you don't have too much pain and discomfort.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • skint_breeder_5skint_breeder_5 Forumite
    983 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    another NSD today for me....although I will probably need to do an online shop in the next day or two rather than use the over priced local shop.....'i can't believe how just knowing I am going to check in on this thread is making me leave my purse behind, so I just don't nip in on the off chance :p

night night one and all
    The cold never bothered me anyway
  • skillyskilly Forumite
    902 posts
    Tenth Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    Another nsd for me yesterday :-) been busy making soups over the last few days and using my Breadmaker so only thing that I am going to run out of soon will be milk .
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue :staradmin
  • KitchenbunnyKitchenbunny Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    Alrighty, morning everyone. The mealplan is now prepped and ready to go for the coming week and the shopping list will soon follow. Considering I've looked at what we've got in the freezer when making the mealplan, we shouldn't need much extra in. And I'm not doing bad at cutting down on the cola purchases so that will be helping too. Mr Hub will be needing cereal so that'll bump the price up. I'm going to do a price comparison on the shopping list so I can have a rough idea of how much I'm going to be spending. And see if there's anything I can shave off it.

This is what we'll be having this week:

Sun - Shepherd's Pie
    Mon - Chicken Drumsticks with Chicken & Bacon Pasta
    Tues - Lamb Tikka Kebabs with Jewelled Rice
    Weds - Sausage Casserole with Jacket Potatoes
    Thurs - Chilli con Carne with Sauteed Potatoes
    Fri - Jambalaya
    Sat - Lasagne

Of the above, I might need meat for the last 2 meals. Other than that everything is already in the freezer, meatwise, so it'll be more vegetables and fruit than anything - can't wait to try and grow a few things so I can reduce this as well!

Have a lovely day, keep warm and stay safe.

KB xx