Forum Home» UK Armed Forces MoneySaving

MPGS - What's it Like?? - Page 16

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE


The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH


New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions


MPGS - What's it Like??

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in UK Armed Forces MoneySaving
166 replies 89.3K views
11112131416

Replies

  • Thanks for your reply. He dosnt have to have a medical as he only left the RN in April. He just has to do some tests. I think like a maths test but I'm not sure and to sign the forms. Then off to Middle wallop he goes :)
  • sarahtxx wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. He dosnt have to have a medical as he only left the RN in April. He just has to do some tests. I think like a maths test but I'm not sure and to sign the forms. Then off to Middle wallop he goes :)

    If he has already been accepted there are no tests to do. He just has to sign a form ( Iforget which one) , swear his oath again and sign his 271A attestation papers and report for duty on a Monday of his choice (to allow for serving notice periods at present employment) at his duty station
  • He swears his oath and signs on the 22nd but some time before then he has to do the test as he was only in the navy for 4 years. Something to do with rank. He actually starts on the 3rd December. Does anyone know if when you do the course in southwick you have to stay there over night as we live 5 minutes from there. Shame he couldn't get posted nearer home I am going to miss him :(
  • Any updates anyone? Still waiting, applied in June.
    Lets try and kp this as an info and update site :)
  • mrskezza wrote: »
    Any updates anyone? Still waiting, applied in June.
    Lets try and kp this as an info and update site :)

    Hi. My other half applied in April and he heard a few weeks back now. He starts tomorrow morning so all exciting stuff. When he went in last week to swear his oath there was a guy there who only waited 3 weeks. Give them a call for an update. While there someone told him what's been going on in Glasgow. The women who used to do the job have been fired after a surprise audit during which they found 500 + applications down the side of a filing cabinet. One man now does the same job and applications now have a 4 week turn around and at the same time he is wading through all the back log and doing a great job so he was told. So you should all hear back soon :)
  • Hey all, just read through the entire thread and I'm glad that most on here have received the outcome they wanted. A bit about me, I've been out of the Army for 2 years now having completed 10 years service in the infantry. I'm currently a HGV driver in Lincolnshire but I'm looking to apply for the MPGS. The reason for this is that the wife is struggling to adapt to civilian life and misses the security of the Army. To be honest the life in the MPGS would suit me down to the ground. The only downside is that I would have to take a considerable pay cut, but I suppose the benefits of free dental/medical, subsidised housing etc evens it out.

    I'm just wondering if all the problems with regards to recruitment time shave now been sorted or is it still taking 6-9 months to get anywhere? Are the MPGS still actively recruiting at the moment? Is there a current demand for MPGS soldiers?

    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!
  • Philly3719 wrote: »
    Hey all, just read through the entire thread and I'm glad that most on here have received the outcome they wanted. A bit about me, I've been out of the Army for 2 years now having completed 10 years service in the infantry. I'm currently a HGV driver in Lincolnshire but I'm looking to apply for the MPGS. The reason for this is that the wife is struggling to adapt to civilian life and misses the security of the Army. To be honest the life in the MPGS would suit me down to the ground. The only downside is that I would have to take a considerable pay cut, but I suppose the benefits of free dental/medical, subsidised housing etc evens it out.

    I'm just wondering if all the problems with regards to recruitment time shave now been sorted or is it still taking 6-9 months to get anywhere? Are the MPGS still actively recruiting at the moment? Is there a current demand for MPGS soldiers?

    Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated!

    Hi Philly

    Welcome to the forum.

    My hubby has now been in the MPGS for 6 months and is very settled, the army has been his life for the past 24 years so it was difficult for him to adapt to HGV driving for the few months he did it as agency work while waiting to get in.

    Its not brilliant pay to start with but the benefits and security that come with it are well worth it. I'm not sure if the recruitment issues have been resolved, maybe someone else on here will come along with an answer soon. Have you been into your local recruitment office to ask them what the current situations is?

    There is a lot of shuffling around of serving MPGS at the moment as places are closing down and they Need to relocate them. If its the way forward for you I would put your application in and continue with your current job till you hear something.

    I miss going to the summer ball, I used to have a great time and felt privileged to be there, but as hubby is a Private again unfortunately I won't be going again any time soon.

    Good luck with whatever you decide:)
  • Hi All,

    I applied for the MPGS in July 2012, after leaving the forces in April 2012 as a WO2. I had to have a medical as I had an injury (although I was not medically discharged) but have been signed off fully fit. I have now been told that I am on awaiting list. When I applied in July last year I was told that there was about 10 places available in my area. Now there is only 1 left but I have been placed on a waiting list due to MPGS rebalancing. I have found the process to be a nightmare, after only being out 12 weeks before applying. I can't believe it has taken this long....

    Philly3719 I wish you all the best with your application and hope it goes through quicker than mine.

    If anyone knows anything about the rebalancing I would be grateful for the info.

    Many thanks
  • I have been told the same information that there is a re balancing exercise but not what it actually means any information would be grateful?
  • MGS are NOT gone, they are being reduced but not gone. I am in the process of applying for an MPGS post as I have served before. I'm currently in the MGS and have just accepted my Voluntary early release(basically they give you a large ish sum of money to go and do something else not civil service). I'm not sure at the moment if joining the MPGS means I will have to give my lump sum payment back, but Im hoping that as the Army pension has no relation to a civil service pension I should be ok and allowed to keep my lump sum, and then proceed to my MPGS job. Hoping they get things moving and let me know asap, as I am only in my job until last day of March 2014, after that , I'll have to do something else. Any one know whether I will have to give my VERS back if I join the MPGS?? If you do then a PM to me would be most appreciated.


    Mark.
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support