Gutted due to bad spelling Blog Discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
24 replies 2.6K views

Replies

• skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    divadee wrote: »
    AAwww Martin you should of done it. I would of coached ya!! :D The only thing i consistently got top marks in was spelling!! :o

*coughs*

It's have, not of...
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • skintchickskintchick Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PS - I can;t see the blog we're talking about. I get one about cash machines and weather girls when I click the link...
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • jackiebjackieb Forumite
    27.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    skintchick wrote: »
    PS - I can;t see the blog we're talking about. I get one about cash machines and weather girls when I click the link...

Neither can I. I didn't want to appear stupid and say I couldn't see it. But since you've done that now, i'll admit it too. :o
  • Mark7799Mark7799 Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here...
    Gwlad heb iaith, gwlad heb galon
  • Gingham_RibbonGingham_Ribbon Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is it, Martin? I can't find it either.

As an English teacher, you might think I get fed up of bad spelling but actually, what I get REALLY Fed Up of is people correcting other people's spelling, especially on forums and blogs. If it's easy to understand and not for something 'official' then I wish people would lighten up and actually read what is said rather than pick holes in spelling etc.

I never EVER check my spelling on my posts and couldn't give two hoots if I've made spelling mistakes.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • *sandymogs**sandymogs* Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I can't see it either. Anyway, we are all good at something and we can't be good at everything. Martin, you're good with figures so don't beat yourself up about the odd spelling mistake. None of us are perfect.

Now, can I tell you about a FREE spell check called ieSpell.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • *sandymogs**sandymogs* Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    I've only just noticed this thread is two years old lol.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email [email protected]
  • MSE_Martin wrote: »
    True Fran, and to be honest i don't mind being made a fool of. What worries me is people may think 'he can't spell, he's stoopid, not listening to him on money either!'

Many here, myself included, listen to you not because we think you're intelligent or know anything about money, but because you have a nice smile and appear a presentable young man that restores our faith in young people and helps us believe the future of the nation is secure.

If you wish to appear more intelligent, maybe wear a tie, when on telly?
    I wonder why it is, that young men are always cautioned against bad girls. Anyone can handle a bad girl. It's the good girls men should be warned against.-David Niven
  • iolanthe07iolanthe07 Forumite
    5.5K Posts
    I have however found that in the past 10 years my spelling has improved greatly due entirely to the automatic spell checker in Word.

The problem with spell checkers is that they don't correct context. Loads of people on this site don't know the difference between, for example, 'principle' and 'principal', 'stationary' and 'stationery', 'their', 'there' and 'they're' and, worst of all, 'your' and 'you're'

It really pi$$es me off, but then I will be told that I'm just a sad old pedant who needs to get a life. Why do people find it so hard to get it right?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • alythalyth Forumite
    2.7K Posts
    It drives me absolutely mad when I see a spelling mistake, my local freecycle postings makes me want to rant and post back asking whether they actually read their request before posting. I'm studying English grammar at the moment via a TEFL course, and I'm told that kids don't seem to learn grammar and spelling at school any more, which may take into account the horrific spellings of words I see, for example "finnish" for "finish"! I'm with you iolanthe, no need for it, read through before you post!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals