Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

January 2013 Grocery Challenge - Page 91

New Post Advanced Search

January 2013 Grocery Challenge

edited 12 December 2012 at 3:40PM in Old Style MoneySaving
2.1K replies 132.6K views

Replies

• Slightly unrelated but this was my first week at Mr T (normally an S family) but mum goes Mr T so it meant free lift and lunch after (mummy insisted I came home for lunch, lol).

We're a basics / value family but so far I've not been impressed with the bread (whole meal), wafer thin ham, chicken roll and crisps so far :(

Think I'm going to have to include a trip to S aswell in the week! Rats!!
  • xxsally1990xxxxsally1990xx Forumite
    21 posts
    plethora wrote: »
    Well back to uni today - must go food shopping tomorrow so I can actually feed my guest so gonna write up a list when I get back so I don't buy what I already have in! Wish me luck!

good luck back at uni on tues, just done my tesco order - came to £50.88 but saved nearly 40 quid using mysupermarket.com
    Side Hustle - Ladyandthetramper.com
  • Back from a trip to Sainsbobs, stopped at mums on the way and she had the kids for me and gave us all lunch which saved me some food right there.

I completely forgot my list, which i nearly always do, but did pretty well even if i did buy things that wern't on it. In the end i bought.

2 x BOB bread - £1.35 each on offer 2 for £2.50.
    2 x Vitalite - £1.20 each
    1 x Lemon - 30p
    1 x big bag of crisps - 90p
    1 x soya yougs - £1.75.
    1 x 2.5kg potatoes - £1.95.
    1 x Cheerios 600g - 99p reduced from £3.09 damaged box :j
    20 x Bananas - £1.87.
    6 x Warburtons Sandwich thins - 34p each reduced from £1.30 each :j

I used 1 of my healthy start vouchers so that took off £3.10.

So only paid £11.60 so quite proud of myself there.

Going to freeze 1 loaf of the bread and all the thins. My kids don't eat cheerios as a breakfast cereal but do like them dry as a snack so they were a good find, as they were much cheaper than sainsbobs own. It's a good day.

Quick question but i have a banana muffin recipe that calls for rolled oats but i found in my cupboards some packets of express porridge oats, the kind you do in the microwave, do you think i could replace it with those?

X
    June £0.00 GC / £200.00
    Family of 4 : 1 adult 3 kids ages 3,4 & 5.
  • ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just got back from Mr S' and we spent £41.17. We're definitely on track and I can't believe we're actually managing to keep to under £50 a week where as before we were spending £60-70 a week! And a few of the things we did buy today will last a while like Baking Powder, a few dried spices and Caster Sugar.

As I type I have some bread proving so I can make rolls to take to work for lunch, to go with the lentil soup I am about to make in my new soup maker and later I will be making some low fat banana bread so I don't throw away the banana's that we bought last week and are a little over-ripe for mine or OH's liking.

Hope everyone's having a great weekend!
    Emergency Fund - £1859.52 / £5,000 :: Decluttering - 324 / 1095
    :: VSP #13 - £18.49:: NSD 2020 - 96 / 200 Weight Loss: 38.6 / 58lbs
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • icontinuetodreamicontinuetodream Forumite
    992 posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    KatyReed+5 wrote: »
    Quick question but i have a banana muffin recipe that calls for rolled oats but i found in my cupboards some packets of express porridge oats, the kind you do in the microwave, do you think i could replace it with those?

I would! :D
    Mortgage 12.12.12 £55842 12.12.13 £42716 14.12.14 £28837 13.12.15 £25913
    Mortgage OP £50/£600 House Fund £420/£5000
  • malamaymalamay Forumite
    793 posts
    I'm trying a new strategy this month. I did an online order with Mr S, and used a voucher for new accounts. It will be delivered on Saturday, and contains a few bits we need, and rough meal planning for a week and a half/2 weeks. I then went to Mr T, and did our top up for this week, including a few bits that were cheaper here. Hopefully we should only need another top up at the end of the month, and will come in under budget!

£7.52 for the top up, and £52.46 for the delivery. We've spent £21 last week, which should leave £69 at the end of the month.

Here's to wishful thinking!
    Swagbucks Amazon gift vouchers 2014 125/250
    GC October 100.8/150 September 99.36/180 August 178.77/180 June 163.18/180 May 177.89/180 April 160.66/180 March 163.48/180 Feb 154.21/150 Jan 51.65/150
  • Living_proofLiving_proof Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I have been to the big Asda out of town for the first time. It was so busy and loud I was pleased to get away with just £5.11 spent (used the savings card for that) and another few pounds in B & M totalling £10.85. I was sorely tempted to pick up a few reduced items, but I want for nothing other than fresh fruit and veg and milk occasionally. The freezer and cupboards are full to bursting so the next couple of months should be very low spend. The shops in town itself were almost all closed and those that were open were very quiet indeed. I think everyone has had their fill and are just hunkering down for a while

Good luck one and all!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • cornishchickcornishchick Forumite
    656 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    malamay wrote: »
    I'm trying a new strategy this month. I did an online order with Mr S, and used a voucher for new accounts. It will be delivered on Saturday, and contains a few bits we need, and rough meal planning for a week and a half/2 weeks. I then went to Mr T, and did our top up for this week, including a few bits that were cheaper here. Hopefully we should only need another top up at the end of the month, and will come in under budget!

£7.52 for the top up, and £52.46 for the delivery. We've spent £21 last week, which should leave £69 at the end of the month.

Here's to wishful thinking!

can i ask where you got the voucher for new accounts please.. ? looking to use mr s for some of shopping. thank you

plus need to add £2.25 to my total. just went to the local garage for milk, as forgot it yesterday.... will try not to do that again!!! 1.25 more than i normally spend.....
    today's mood is brought to you by coffee, lack of sleep and idiots.
    Living on my memories, making new ones. n2ihydax6li3.jpg
    declutter 104/2020
  • FBG85FBG85 Forumite
    36 posts
    I had a voucher for sainsburys , on a flyer with our local paper, but I had £10 off a £50 spend with tescos which I got automatically when I placed my first order. Have a look on their websites as some shops advertise their discount for new customers (I think I Acado does) HTH ( and made sense!)
    GC September £69.64/£200
  • kittiejkittiej Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Hi everybody

Reporting back to say I spent another £23.85 so far making my total spends of £57.62/£100 so £42.38 left :(. hoping to stay within budget still. I shall allow a bit more next month and I will withdraw the money instead of spending on my card.

Hop everyone else is doing OK?
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18 :)
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000