Petrol what's the most economical way to fill the car?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
17 replies 2.9K views
2»

Replies

• forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That extra bit of weight will make a tiny difference in the MPG. Its heavier so will use more fuel.
    But you will use more fuel going in and out of the petrol station each time.

Fill it up and drive economically. Dont do short journeys if you dont have to. Avoid traffic at all costs.

Had a guy at work who always came in over 1 hour early. He said to comne in on time he would only leave 20 minutes later due to the traffic.

So saved on fuel and stress.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• londonTigerlondonTiger
    4.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    a full tank costs you £70. which going by £1.3 per litre means your tank stores 53lites (plus reserve).

Going by tis website, 53 lites of petrol weighs 38.7kg - that's not a lot. That's like havving one 11 year old in the car. Or two spare wheels. I think the difference in weight is so immaterial that you shouldn't worry about it. You also have to factor in the times when you drive to a petrol station solely to fill up - so if you fill up in small increments like 7X£10 as someone stated above the times you go to the petrol station leave the engine on as you que at the pump that would cost fuel.

A heavy hatchback weights 1400kg. A saloon will cost more, an MPV much more. Judgeing by your fuel tank size I think you're driving a heavy saloon or a MPV.

My full tank is 44L (weighing 32kg), my car weight is 1400kg. At full tank the fuel weight is 2.2% of total weight. Which obviously diminishes as the fuel is used. It makes a marginal difference.
  • vikingaerovikingaero Forumite
    10.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheapest way to fill up is here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4363243

But you may end up with a criminal record/CCJ/no mates. :D
    The man without a signature.
  • forgotmynameforgotmyname Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of mates to bunk up with, Bit iffy at shower time though with only 1 bar of soap to share.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• 18861886 Forumite
    499 Posts
    Stop start driving is what uses more fuel and lowers the MPG. If I see traffic lights ahead that are on red I'll begin to slow down way before them as more often than not I'll get to them and they'll have changed..

Meanwhile the people who raced past are sat there whilst I drive past.
  • Petrol what's the most economical way to fill the car?

Find out what forecourt sells the cheapest and buy from there.
  • oldtoolieoldtoolie Forumite
    750 Posts
    When I was young in the USA, people referred to the 'Georgia Credit Card' which was a 4 foot length of garden hose...
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides