Ja-NEW-ary 2013 - Take your lunch to work thread

edited 16 January 2013 at 10:46AM in Debt-free Wannabe Challenges
536 replies 68K views

Replies

• kittiejkittiej Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Welcome Dee-Dee :hello: That's a very sizeable sum to save, imagine if you x 12 too ;)

OK one month at a time, I'll put ya down for £74.
    Sealed pot challenge member number 18 :)
    Karma - the consequences of ones acts.
    "It's OK to falter otherwise how will you know what success feels like?"
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Hi, id like to join this challenge :).

I can easily spend (or is it waste?) around £5/day on food. Its money I can ill-afford to spend, but I never find packed lunches filling. If I bring home-made food, I still buy snacks and sandwiches.:whistle: which defeats the purpose, no?

My plan of action after reading this thread, is to have 2 or 3 days of bringing in a packed lunch. The rest of the time, I'll buy my lunch. But the aim is to always take a healthy packed lunch to work.

When I don't buy lunch, the saved money will be transfer to a savings accounf, so hopefully it'll be around £15/week.

Have a great New Year :beer:
    2.6K Posts
    Hey hotspur-pam, welcome :j you can do this whatever way suits you. I will certainly put you down for £15 per week :)
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • edited 30 December 2012 at 11:06PM
    mineallminemineallmine Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    edited 30 December 2012 at 11:06PM
    I'm in :j

I waste :whistle: about (at the very worst estimate) £100 a month. Our restaurant is v.expensive and so tempting! That's a ridiculous £1,200 a year... Plus on silly things like drink/tins at 90p a pop.

Loving the ideas on here like:
    - soup
    - freezing cakes (I used to buy Tesco pack of 4 choc chip muffins and freeze them individually. Why did I stop?)

Trying to put together a list of fav lunches (balancing this with re-starting Slimming World in the new year too). So I like things like
    Ham sarnie
    M&S onion chutney
    Black pepper LoLo (low fat cheese spread, that's very moreish)
    Hard boiled eggs
    Falafel
    Home made soup
    Asda smart price mini sausage rolls (frozen)
    Onion bhajis
    Samosas
    Cucumber sticks

Going to have to give this some thought. I will also probably have one packed lunch free day too, for a pub trip with friends. So a saving of £50 at least for me OP :j
    :) Declutter 300 things in December challenge, 9/300. Clear the living room. Re-organize storage
    :cool2: Cherryprint: "More stuff = more stuff to tidy up!" Less things. Less stuff. More life.
    :heart: Fab thread: Long daily walks
    2.6K Posts
    Welcome to you mam :dance: and thanks for the contribution.

I shall put you down for £50. Great idea about the muffins in the freezer, I would never have thought of that - doh. You could buy a branded 2l bottle of pop for about £1 when on offer too.

I have been looking at the 50p and under thread on OS board and everyone seems to be saying Sainsbry's value tea is lovely at 27p a box. I might try it, I sometimes feel ill after drinking cheap tea though.
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • Hi I usually make a big tub of spag Bol last about 8 days and cost around 6/7 pound to make :)
    2.6K Posts
    Thanks for the tip adam.
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • I was really glad to see this come up and I'd love to join in.

I am a dreadful for buying lunch and on average it costing £4-£5 a time. It wouldn't be quite so bad if I actually enjoyed the lunches I buy but tbh 9/10 times I find I don't.

If I average of my 23 working days at £5 a day I make it £115 a month so I aim to cut it back by at least the £31 required for my Jan £365 savings and aim for 2-3 days of taking my own lunch. This will be improved upon in Feb.
    Can I ever learn this budgeting lark? So far it's not looking promising
    Lloyds loan - gone forever! :T
    Bank of Mum and Dad gone forever!
    Emergency Fund £1500 :T
    2.6K Posts
    Welcome to you this evening archer :wave:, would you like me to put you down for a savings figure? and do you have any favourite lunches?
    1 debt v 100 days £2000
  • kittiej wrote: »
    Welcome Dee-Dee :hello: That's a very sizeable sum to save, imagine if you x 12 too ;)

OK one month at a time, I'll put ya down for £74.

Thanks, you are right that is a hefty chunk of change over the year so I really want to keep this up. Just planned out our meals for next week and will do a big shop tomorrow. Am planning to do some bulk cooking while I have some time off so will freeze soups for lunch which should hopefully see us through the next few weeks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Gin, gee-gees & groceries

This week's MSE Forum highlights

Team Blog

2for1 adult tickets to theme parks

Via selected £1-£3 Kellogg's promo packs

MSE Deals