MSE News: Take off for flight delay compensation

"Frustrated flyers are now getting compensation for delays within weeks of the floodgates opening"
Read the full story:

Replies

• AdamDAdamD Forumite
    30 Posts
    Received £630 (£315 x 2) compensation from Thomas Cook after my flight from Newcastle to Bodrum was delayed 4.5 hours.

Thank you MSE and all the members of the forum for their advice.

Some tips for others:
    - Get the CAA involved if your airline is being difficult
    - Keep a record of all letters/e-mails sent and received
    - Don't give up!
    - When you receive an offer of compensation, reject the first offer (unless it's the full amount) and ask for a cheque instead!

Good luck!
  • NFHNFH Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    AdamD wrote: »
    ask for a cheque instead!
    Why would anyone want a cheque? Apart from requiring the onerous task of taking it to the bank, it's likely to be converted to GBP at a low EUR/GBP rate that includes a small profit for the airline. You're much better off accepting a bank transfer, ideally into a EUR account, or otherwise EUR cash.
  • We had a 32 hour delayed flight from Manchester to Las Vegas due to a "technical fault". Previous plane was faulty so they got our Plane .

Thomas cook have given us a reject letter at first hurdle. What now?! Why are they not following law?
    Met my Soul Mate 08/02/2005
    Married my Soul Mate 26/10/2012
  • richardwrichardw Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    Large airlines like TUI Thomson Airways and Monarch appear not to be paying out, so floodgates are not open.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • shjo558shjo558 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I tried claiming in July as our flight from Kos to Newcastle was delayed over three hours. They rejected it as they were awaiting the outcome of the European court case.

I have emailed them today and asked them to look at it again.

Fingers crossed as we ended up being ripped off at the airport as it was so expensive to buy food and drink.
  • I have been trying to get compensation from Monarch since last March after a roughly 5 hour delay due to 'technical problems' on a flight from the Gambia. They originally quoted the awaited appeal at the ECJ for non-payment but I resubmitted my claim on 24th October together with all supporting evidence (passport copies, boarding card copies, etc.) on the form they sent to me as a pdf. A subsequent phone call told me to expect a ruling by Christmas but so far I have heard nothing. The airline appears to be trying to kick this into the long grass. I have given them 14 days to pay up before I involve the CAA and possibly the courts. As they knew the details of my claim nine months ago they have no reason to delay.
    My daughter got a payment from BA within 48 hours of claiming for a delayed flight to Singapore. Well done BA!
  • 111KAB111KAB Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    layces wrote: »
    I have been trying to get compensation from Monarch since last March after a roughly 5 hour delay due to 'technical problems' on a flight from the Gambia. They originally quoted the awaited appeal at the ECJ for non-payment but I resubmitted my claim on 24th October together with all supporting evidence (passport copies, boarding card copies, etc.) on the form they sent to me as a pdf. A subsequent phone call told me to expect a ruling by Christmas but so far I have heard nothing. The airline appears to be trying to kick this into the long grass. I have given them 14 days to pay up before I involve the CAA and possibly the courts. As they knew the details of my claim nine months ago they have no reason to delay.
    My daughter got a payment from BA within 48 hours of claiming for a delayed flight to Singapore. Well done BA!

You may as well involve the CAA now as nothing they say will alter the 'legal' stance that Monarch adopt. It is highly likely you will have to take Monarch to court if you feel justified in that they owe you the compensation. Read other threads on this website and you will come to the conclusion that Monarch are the most reluctant airline to recognise their obligations.
  • I received a response from Thomas Cook to my claim. They just sent me a standard template saying that as I complained over 28 days after the flight they wouldn't be investigating my comments.

Any advice on what my next step should be?
  • The first I knew I was entitled to compensation for the 10 hour delay to my Air Canada flight to Windsor Ontario was when I read about it in the November email from MSE. I couldn't believe what I was reading and sent a letter along the lines advised by Martins Money Tips,

It worked !!! About a month later (just b4 Christmas) I received an email offering me either 600 EURO's compensation or an e-ticket value 900 EURO's I accepted the 600 EURO's as there were restrictions on using the e ticket such as I would still have to pay up front and reclaim it after my return. I dare say if I had argued some more they may have increased their offer but I am happy with the 600 EURO's which will be in my bank account in the New Year and hopefully the next time I go to Canada (my daughter lives there) they may give me a free upgrade ! - or not.

:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j::j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j:j
    So thanks a lot to the team and keep up the good work in 2013
    Lynda
  • Of course, if true.....(and I take any MSE news headline with an unhealthy lump of salt)......MSE has just helped kill cheap airfares.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum