Buying American ETF's

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
1 reply 821 views
PTGoonerPTGooner Forumite
23 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings

does anyone know any reputable online brokers that sell Amercian ETF's?



  • Mr_MumbleMr_Mumble Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    If you mean an ETF that invests in US shares then Barclay's Ishares S&P 500 ETF (ticker: IUSA) should be available from any online broker.

    If you mean ETFs actually listed in the US then you'll need a broker who allows investing in the US market.

    Their Trading Plus account is probably the simplest way to invest directly in the US. Though, there have been complaints about high currency conversion costs.

    There is a link on the UK homepage for investing in US shares. Don't know anymore and the website doesn't give much detail.

    Charles Schwab:
    You need $10,000 to open this account. Preferred by the folks at for the customer service.

    Ultimately run by TDWaterhouse but this is a pan-European brokerage run for expats so a good alternative for those who move between countries.

    You'd need to fill in the "W-8BEN" form before trading US shares.
    "The state is the great fiction by which everybody seeks to live at the expense of everybody else." -- Frederic Bastiat, 1848.
This discussion has been closed.

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides