Forum Home » Debt-Free Wannabe » Debt Free Diaries

2012 Frugal Living Challenge (Part 1) - Page 331

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

2012 Frugal Living Challenge (Part 1)

edited 18 December 2012 at 12:45PM in Debt Free Diaries
3.3K replies 265.4K views

Replies

• cw18 wrote: »
    I've now given up smoking (I last lit up on 1st October),

:T Healthy as well as frugal. Well done Cheryl.

Natnat so sorry to hear you've been through the mill so to speak. Hope 2013 is a much better year for you huni.

Quintwins hope you're feeling better today.

All the best to you too Sandra :)

Finished work yesterday for the Christmas break and slept virtually all day today! Need to find my Festive Season mojo I think...
    Hope everyone is keeping dry in this dreary wet weather :(
    x
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member no:219
    In the Court Of The Crimson King
    I don't believe in the concept of hell, but if I did I would think of it as filled with people who were cruel to animals.
    Gary Larson
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    spreadsheet links

The links are now

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B__...2RKd2NVRWF6RFU
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B__...HZxcDJfOVppenM

with the first one being the version that should definitely work in Open Office as well as older versions of Excel. The second one may as well, as I'm not sure what version of what I'm running on this laptop, and haven't stopped to check/play other than updating them for 2013 ;)
    Cheryl
  • FrugaldomFrugaldom Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cheryl, I'll add a link to the above post from 'handy links' section at start of new challenge. Let me know if it needs changed at any point.
    I reserve the right NOT to spend:
    The less I spend, the more I can afford!
    Now running Frugaldom as a lifestyle social enterprise! :D
  • natnat13natnat13 Forumite
    620 posts
    ✭✭
    On my "getting back to frugal" plan I have started by applying for a tesco credit card, I am going to buy everything on it, get the points and pay it off each month.
    I have also rung my enegy supplier to get my electricty key meter removed.
    Also got a secret santa pressie last night, a lovely smellies set but I have soooo many smellies that it has gone in my present box to give to someone else.
    Small steps!
    Mum, student, worker, dog mum, partner.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • slowlyfadingslowlyfading Forumite
    13.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still need to do some christmas shopping :( blah.
    Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
    Personal Finance Blogger / In pursuit of FIRE :)
  • allie23allie23 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Debt-free and Proud! PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭
    Have set myself a wee challenge to minimise the fuel bills this winter. Aiming to use a hot water bottle & blanket instead of automatically turning on the fire in the living room this week. If this works out then I will extend it.

Been watching Kirstie's Christmas craft repeats on TV this week and it has inspired me to really go for it with HM Christmas next year. One of my makes will be Blackcurrant and Ginger wine (non-alcoholic) which my Grannie used to make. Have bought the concentrate out of the Co-op and will be practicing with the recipe this year to perfect it for next year.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Save £12k in 2020 - Challenger No 4 - £10,634/£35,000
    April Grocery Challenge £34.99/£200
  • cw18cw18 Forumite
    8.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    allie23 wrote: »
    Aiming to use a hot water bottle & blanket instead of automatically turning on the fire in the living room this week.
    I have what my OH and I call a 'snuggle rug'. It's a fleecy blanket (which I bought from B'n'M last winter), and I wrap it around me when I'm sat using my laptop early morning and in the evening (and between times if I feel cool). My OH doesn't know how I can stand it, as the few times it's also been over him he's felt like he's sweating buckets - yet it's fine for me, and I generally run my central heating a fair bit lower than he runs his so he's used to higher temperatures :huh:
    Cheryl
  • quintwinsquintwins Forumite
    5.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    My heads pounding today :( but i am feeling alot better, lots of cleaning to do today.kids have been chased to clean there rooms cause if santa can't get in how will he leave a present on there beds?

My clothes fund is up to £103 now :) i'm acually really happy mince it already bought a pair of shoes and 2 pairs of jeans.Any money in cards will be added top it, any vouchers in cards will be added to next years xmas fund which stands at £48ish so far (£10 sainburys and around £38 boots).

Foodwise today we had hotdogs for a late breakfast and we're off to a small family party tonight which will have free food, tomorrow i will sort us breakfast but lunch is at the inlaws and dinner will be either at the party at there house or my aunts house., then monday will be all freezer/cupboard food, and xmas morning the kids have requested cossiants and i have some whoospied to 40p in the freezer :) then dinner at the inlaws, followed by prob turkey sandwichs in the evening.

It'sgot very cold no-one was home here all day yesterday and as a result it was freezing we had the heat on for 3hrs!!! and at one point i had 4 extra blankets on my bed.
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • natnat13natnat13 Forumite
    620 posts
    ✭✭
    Hi all
    I have done nothing today apart from go to Mr T's, oh the joys, did stick to my list though and hopefully won't have to go back in there til after xmas. Got my fire lit and gonna turn the heating off, its not cold. Haven't eaten much the last two days, its just me here (DS's with daddy) so I don't tend to cook.
    Was meant to be going out on the beer tonight but am staying in with a friend instead, cheaper, can actually hear ourselves talk and its really wet here, I must be getting old! :rotfl:
    Mum, student, worker, dog mum, partner.
    Keen to live a healthly lifestyle and save money
  • meg72meg72 Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    natnat13 wrote: »
    Hi all
    I have done nothing today apart from go to Mr T's, oh the joys, did stick to my list though and hopefully won't have to go back in there til after xmas. Got my fire lit and gonna turn the heating off, its not cold. Haven't eaten much the last two days, its just me here (DS's with daddy) so I don't tend to cook.
    Was meant to be going out on the beer tonight but am staying in with a friend instead, cheaper, can actually hear ourselves talk and its really wet here, I must be getting old! :rotfl:

No not old but sensible, how much nicer to have a night with a friend, save some money and not get WET
    Slimming World at target