Anyone else been conned by AOL?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
12 replies 1.3K views
Ellie2758Ellie2758 Forumite
2.8K Posts
1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Praise, Vent & Warnings
Some time back we were emailed by aol (our ISP) asking us if we would like a FREE upgrade from Silver to Gold broadband. We said yes, without thinking (always a mistake, I agree). Found out this week, quite by chance, that after we were upgraded the cost of Silver was REDUCED by £10 a month and the modem we were using for Silver did not have the capacity for the upload speeds of Gold anyway. So, for goodness knows how long, we have been paying £10 extra a month for nowt. :mad:

Ever been had?:rolleyes:
Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
J-J Rousseau

Replies

• changkrachangkra Forumite
    635 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    AOL have changed all the price packages recently. As from Feb this year i get the same content as you for free due to piggy backing AOL onto another main server. I pay more a month than you are paying but i get, cant remember but i think its 50Meg but it could be 20Meg

A few years ago when AOL was £14.99 a month in England in NI they paid £9.99.

Its always worth going through cancellation with them as they will do everything int heir power to keep you and sort you complaint out for you so you may actually get the reduction you would have got if you hadn't changed
  • deanosdeanos Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Uniform Washer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    and the modem we were using for Silver did not have the capacity for the upload speeds of Gold anyway.

What makes you think that ?
  • Ellie2758Ellie2758 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    deanos wrote: »
    What makes you think that ?

a) because I checked it

b) because when I switched to Silver the aol employee said as much!
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • CrabmanCrabman Forumite, Board Guide
    9.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I'm a Volunteer Board Guide Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    a) because I checked it

b) because when I switched to Silver the aol employee said as much!
    That's quite odd, what router are you using, make and model? :o
    I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

• jammin_2jammin_2 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    the modem we were using for Silver did not have the capacity for the upload speeds of Gold anyway.

Impossible. Either the agent you spoke to made a mistake, or you misunderstood what he said.

Be careful what you type - the title of this thread is somewhat slanderous. Just because you potentially have a discrepancy with your own account, it doesn't mean you have been conned. If you wish to PM me your AOL screen name, I will personally look in to your case.
  • Yant1Yant1 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    I know of countless people that bought computers, signed up to AOL got bored of it after a week then stopped using the computer and the internet but continued paying the 10 quid direct debit forever more.
  • jammin_2jammin_2 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Yant1 wrote: »
    I know of countless people that bought computers, signed up to AOL got bored of it after a week then stopped using the computer and the internet but continued paying the 10 quid direct debit forever more.

Tell them to call AOL and close their account then. Pointless subscribing for something that you don't use.
  • Yant1Yant1 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    You know it and I know it but people are lazy or simply not too bright. I wouldn't be surprised if 25% of subscription or any other companies services like magazines etc go unused.
  • So many novice computer users out there.

America Online (AOL) is the most crappiest piece of software known to man (after Windows). Truely awful company (aol).

I'd take a sledgehammer to your pc or just delete the software and cancel the dd.
  • marleyboymarleyboy Forumite
    16.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as I am aware, they scrapped the Gold service and replaced it with the silver.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cut overdraft charges

10 tips to pay less for your overdraft + how to pay it off

MSE Guides