Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

November 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 45

New Post Advanced Search

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 22 October 2012 at 2:33PM in Old Style MoneySaving
907 replies 76.5K views

Replies

• Well my month of Nov begins today.... I'm declaring £250. Which is £100 more than last month (was on hol for a week) but also will start buying things for Xmas, plus my bi-monthly run to the farm shop is due.

Would like to thank this forum - joined in Oct and we used to allow upto £350 for shopping. With what we saved last month we have invested in a chest freezer (202ltr) for the garage. Hubby was so impressed with what I saved by buying in bulk, buying reduced items and freezing, cooking in batch and freezing etc that we decided we needed extra freezer space so we can continue to save money as we have been!!!
    THANK YOU!!!!!
  • flubberyzingflubberyzing Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    A £3.69 spend in Tescos on bread, milk, cheese and chocolate mousses. Pleased with myself for doing some quite tricky mental maths to work out what was the best value mature cheddar. Comparing weights, shelf price and cost per kg!

Also bought a new ice-scraper for my car. My current one died last winter and just fell apart in my hands when I was helping a neighbour get out of the snow!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Coxy11Coxy11 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone,

Budgets done to here :)

Scouts are coming to our house tonight for fireworks, so I've just been to T's for sausages and buns.

We needed a new laundry basket - £4.50 SEL - although I was charged £4.75 at the till so trotted off to CS. Huge queue and only one lady on, but I waited in line and she gave me £1 straight from the till drawer - almost expected her to say CBA'd :p

Also got squash, oj, lemonade, chopped toms, casserole veg mix, cotton wool and buds, and some crisps for the adults tonight. Advent calendars in store now, so 3 for the children, plus some tubes of sweets for stocking fillers. All the chocolate from the Xmas budget tho'.

Total spent from GC £19.49 ;)

Annoyed to find my 'shoes' staff discount card can only be used in the store I work at (Bluewater) so couldn't get any of my Xmas shopping at my local store today :mad:

Have a great day everyone.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: A Pair Tree by Susan Hillis Designs
    Crochet WIP: Dune blanket from Attic24
  • theatregirl4theatregirl4 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Coxy11 wrote: »
    Annoyed to find my 'shoes' staff discount card can only be used in the store I work at (Bluewater) so couldn't get any of my Xmas shopping at my local store today :mad:

I presume shoes is not the name of the store you work for lol.
    any hints you may be able to give us as to the actual name? :)

:j
  • Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Im on a fiscal fast this week, but wanted to come on to give my heartfelt condolences to

angelatgraceland
    (((((((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))))) my thoughts are with you.

Hoping to last 'till Monday without spending. Fridge starting to look bare, but im going to start taking bits out of freezer and cupboards and filling that way. Take care everyone xxx
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155
  • sonastinsonastin Forumite
    3.2K posts
    OH called me at work yesterday to tell me there were no biscuits in the house (a fact I have known for sometime and have been deliberately ignoring on account of he won't throw empty wrappers out so the biscuit box looks full!). He (jokingly, I must add) threatened to lock me out of the house if I came home empty handed. He prefers a$da smartprice biccies but that store is a good 10miles extra on my journey home. He loathes MrT's biscuits but that is en route so he'll just have to suffer! Could have gone to MrM, Ald! or L!dl (also en route) but chose MrT to punish him ;)

Stocked up on a few extra bits and pieces while I was there - all on the list on the blackboard in the kitchen so don't feel too bad about spending £33.83. Could perhaps have done without the two finest pizzas but the detour to the shops meant I wouldn't have time to make HM. Helpfully MrT had most of the stuff I was after on multibuys and offers of one sort or another so the savings were more than the pizzas. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it :rotfl:

Total this month is currently £58.50. Can't remember the budget I set for the month but pretty sure its gonna be blown - quite a few xmas pressies will need ingredients which come from SMs - annual pressie budget is nearly maxed out and I can't be bothered to edit the receipts to GC is gonna have to suffer. Annual budget can probably take it though :D
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi...yesterday i made a vat of soup and today we ate it...it was very pleasant on a freezing cold day...had a little shop today...aldi for milk...coop for a christmas pudding and some bargain fruit and veg

i have a spag bol in the sc for tea which smells lovely...i have also done next weeks meal plan so thats helpful...managed to cross a couple of things off the christmas present list in the last couple of days so thats helpful if pricey

hope everyone is keeping warm
    tess
    onwards and upwards
  • Oh dear, small slip today as I forgot to pack Bread to go with my soup so I had to nip into Mr S on my way into work, and because I hadn't had breakfast yet and I was STARVING I ended up buying myself a sausage roll (bad for the diet too!) and a bottle of drink. However the rolls i bought were 2 for 70p and I am saving the other one for tomorrow so that it's not a total waste, still another spend I didn't plan on :(£2.80!

Had a long week, DD has been sick and then yesterday my car wouldn't start so I missed my train to work and was VERY late! On the plus side we had impromtu (sp?) dinner guests who brought dinner with them and saved us a meal for another time and got invited to my parents for dinner Sunday as well. And with DD being sick I was home an extra day, so was DH and so she hasn't been to our childminder - so i think total we saved about £80!!!:rotfl:

Also got my tesco vouchers through this week and am quite excited as I can double up for frozen food, and think that I can get about £40 worth of shopping for £20 if I play my cards right :D. So all in all not too bad this week. Budget update - £132.23/£200 with two weeks to go :eek:
    Debt Amount: £12,000 = Loan
    DFD: Unplanned
  • Make-it-3Make-it-3 Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Simply not having time to follow the thread at the moment, but hopefully will catch up next week once Diwali is over. Just wanted to add some purchases from this week, bread on Monday and a half-weekly shop today so my total is standing at £53.01/£200.
    We Made-it-3 on 28/01/11 with birth of our gorgeous DD.
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Gien - 6.16 for 2 litres of milk and a small loaf :eek:
    Coxy11 -Scouts are coming to our house tonight for fireworks - hope you all have a lovely time

Spent £12-82 today at Te$co and got 3 of the mince meat on 3 4 2 ready for mince pies, also got 4 more Heinzzz tom soup for £2. The individual tins are priced at 89p each and hiding at the end of an aisle were the 4 packs for £2 - wonder how many people have brought them for 89p :( also got some reduced cheese and mushrooms however not huge reductions but it all helps.

Going to Aldi tomorrow but only want onions, milk, naan breads, cereal, bread and some sausages so hopefully not to expensive.

Have been taking a few things out of the freezer last few days, 2 portions of soup, some fish, beans and last of the sausages.

Our meal plan is below with the item in blue out of freezer
    Thur -Jkt potatoes with bolognaise sauce & salad
    Fri - Lasagne & garlic bread (mince from freezer)
    Sat- ????
    Sun-Bacon, sausage, tomatoes, hash browns and egg (out at Remembrance parade so this is instead of usual roast)
    Mon -Liver & onions with mash for DH & mum. DS & myself will have sausage & mash
    Tue-Pasta with meatballs and sauce
    Wed - Chicken curry, rice and naan's
    MARCH £62.38/250