Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

November 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 33

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

November 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 22 October 2012 at 2:33PM in Old Style MoneySaving
907 replies 76.3K views

Replies

• rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsiepac, your Sausage casserole with HM garlic bread is now in the index
    :beer:

I think you meant you adapted it from Gingham Ribbon's recipe :D
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    rosieben wrote: »
    elsiepac, your Sausage casserole with HM garlic bread is now in the index
    :beer:

I think you meant you adapted it from Gingham Ribbon's recipe :D

Hahaha, :rotfl:
    Oops... thanks rosieben, will amend now - how embarassing!!! :o

LC
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • GreenFairyGreenFairy Forumite
    353 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    Put in a big order for cleaning stuff online. Dishwasher tablets, multipurpose cleaner, hand wash, washing up liquid, washing liquid and softener. Should last a good 6-8 months...have to wait until it hits the CC before can update as it was placed in £.
    GC totals 2020! Jan €341/€400. Feb €401.27/€400. Mar €430.21/€350. Apr €325/€400. May €219.82/€400.

Blogging at CookingTheBooks!
  • CompBunnyCompBunny Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Big shop today. £36.12 at T£$co but that did include a little 3ft Xmas tree and some fairy lights, dog treats for 3 months, enough cheese for a month or so and shaving gel for OH - things that don't get bought often. So don't feel toooo guilty although there were some bad things in the shop like 33p reduced doughnuts, 27p chocolate eclair sweets, and probably some other naughty stuff I'm forgetting.

Just a reminder to everyone to always check your receipts. So often T£$co get it wrong, I'm sure MSE users are more likely than most to check, but recently I've got in the habit of checking carefully every single time before leaving the store - its shocking how often they are wrong. Don't pay more than you need to! This time I got charged £4.93 too much by the checkout lady scanning 2 blocks of cheese instead of 3 so the offer I used didn't kick in.
    GC2012: Nov £130.52/£125
    GC2011:Sept:£215Oct:£123.98Nov:£120Dec:£138Feb:£94.72
    Quit smoking 10am 17/02/11 - £4315 saved as of Nov'12

Engaged to my best friend 08/2012:heart2:

• elsiepacelsiepac Forumite, Board Guide
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Just a quick post - I've just spent 30 minutes making a lovely soup for my lunches this week - I can't remember where I got the original recipe from but here is my version:

2 stock cubes (I used low sodium mar1g0ld cubes) - 30p ish
    1/2 savoy cabbage - 35p (69p Ald!)
    2/3 bag new potatoes - 54p (79p Ald!)
    1 tin chopped tomatoes - 25p (4 3ast 3nd for £1 in Mr T)
    1 leek - 67p (£1.34 for 2 Mr T in value bag)
    1 tsp oregano - 2p (free for me as sister brings it back dried from Greece for me :D )

1. Put chopped leek, potatoes, tomatoes and stock cubes in large saucepan
    2. Fill with boiling water to about 1 cm over the top of the veg
    3. Boil for 10 minutes
    4. Add the shredded cabbage and the oregano
    5. Mix well
    6. Cook for further ten minutes or until potatoes are soft enough (I kept stirring as the water is only just above the veg at this point so I felt the need to rotate but depending how watery you like it you could add more - I didn't)
    7. Serve and Enjoy!

Make 4 portions
    Total cost £2.23
    Cost per portion 56p ish

I've just portioned mine up and am waiting for it to cool so I can fridge it!

LC x
    I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style, Greenfingered, Energy & Going Out Deals boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    SPC No 074
    GC: Jan 20 £tbc/£250
    Vegan 27-8-13
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    elsiepac, your lush-sounding Easy Italian Soup is now in the index :T
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • nannygladysnannygladys Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Havent spent anything yet, and had meatball meal out of the freezer with pasta and garlic bread (that I found lurking at the back of the freezer) when I say meatballs they are meatless balls as I dont eat meat:) anyway tomorrow Im having some couscous and mixed beans so thats sorted as well. May be more difficult Tues, Weds and Thurs as I will be having my DGD and DD1 to stay a couple of days but I will certainly be trying my best:)
    Jxx
    Frugal challenge 2020
    Sealed pot 13 no.31
    Emergency fund 230.76/1000
  • Did our first big shop today, £34.08 in aldi. This included:

Kitchen rolls (4)
    Box of tissues
    2 x tins chopped tomatoes
    Carton of custard
    2 x paracetemol
    6 pack of ridged crisps
    500g penne pasta
    1kg spaghetti
    Carton of long life milk
    Oven chips
    Sweet potatoes
    Twin pack of bacon (10 rashers total)
    Fat free natural yoghurt 500g tub
    Tin of kidney beans
    800g beef mince
    Packet of chiekn thighs (about 8 small thighs)
    2 x cartons of soya milk
    Tin of stewing steak
    Air freshener
    2 cartons of passata
    Panty liners & sanitary towels
    Handwash
    Clementines
    Rocket
    Butternut squash
    2 toothbrushes
    Balsamic vinegar
    Chocolate digestives
    6 wholemeal rolls
    Sugar snap peas
    3 pack of peppers
    Kitchen foil
    Garlic
    Cheddar cheese

Phew. Should keep us going for a fortnight I think combined with the stuff we already have in.
    November Grocery Challenge = £83.47/£150
  • vanoonoovanoonoo Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    we have only spent £3.00 so far this month, thankfully! need to do a shop by next weekend tho me thinks as starting to dip into stores for some things now like pasata, also got no tins of kidney beans at the mo :(
    Blah
  • i managed to stick to my list today.... apart from ground almonds on buy 2 get 3 rd free... and use alot of them....

still in budget, trying to stay within 10£ a day, as previously have spent loads at beginning of month then not enough at the end....

ooh, and made tinks hobnobs today, dd is on her 8th and says they are better than shop ones :-)
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.