IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

Hospital Car Park Fines

2»

Replies

• Hi Coupon Mad,

Thanks for the advice on the letter, as the car park is barrier controlled and I had to purchase a ticket to leave, is it also worth mentioning the fact that as I had paid, then not displaying a blue badge did not cost the company anything, nor was any trespass or damage committed so the total cost of the charge should be zero ?
  • jingers wrote: »
    Hi Coupon Mad,

Thanks for the advice on the letter, as the car park is barrier controlled and I had to purchase a ticket to leave, is it also worth mentioning the fact that as I had paid, then not displaying a blue badge did not cost the company anything, nor was any trespass or damage committed so the total cost of the charge should be zero ?

This exactly, so the only reason they issued this is to penalise you which is illegal. This will never ever reach court unless you sue them for a breach of the equalities act
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Hi Everyone who has helped me with this. I have used your suggestions Coupon Mad and wrote to UKPC with the following letter, so we will see what comes back.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Dear Sir or Madam,

Ticket number:
    Vehicle registration number:

You issued me with a parking ticket on 31st Oct 2012 and although not on the Parking on Private Land Appeals list of grounds for appeal I believe the ticket was unfairly issued and I will not be paying your demand for payment for the following reasons:

• Mitigating circumstances

I am a disabled driver with a Blue Badge, I have attached a copy of my Blue Badge and my Disabled Tax Disc so that you can see that I am entitled by law to use the 'reasonable adjustment' of a disabled bay on private land.
    Whilst the Blue Badge scheme doesn't actually apply on private land, I understand that to comply with the Equality Act 2010 you need to be aware of my mobility issue. So this appeal letter is primarily to alert you to my mobility issue so that you can cancel the ticket. Clearly any alleged contract will be null and void as it cannot be used to circumvent the Equality Act so I look forward to hearing from you. If you reject my appeal, with knowledge and evidence of my disability, I will not hesitate to raise this as disability discrimination with the hospital and with POPLA.'

• The fee is disproportionate

According to the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contract Regulations, parking charges on private land must not exceed the cost to the landowner during the period the motorist is parked there. In my case, the £100 charge you are asking for far exceeds the cost to the landowner of £Zero. As the car park is barrier controlled, I had to pay the correct amount to leave the carpark, the same cost as anyone else using the carpark, therefore my parking in a disabled spot bore no cost to yourselves what-so-ever.

If you choose to pursue me please be aware that I will not enter into any correspondence and this will be the only letter you will receive from me until you answer the specific points raised in my letter.

Yours faithfully,

Enc. Copy of my Blue Badge
    Copy of my Disabled Tax Disc

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Again Thanks to all who have helped
  • That about covers it, if they refuse you they will be open for you to make a claim in the small claims for breach of the equality act, a sum of £300 plus court costs would not be unreasonable. And I think you could open a claim regardless if popla allows it, though I believe you would be just happy for it to go away.
    Excel Parking, MET Parking, Combined Parking Solutions, VP Parking Solutions, ANPR PC Ltd, & Roxburghe Debt Collectors. What do they all have in common?
    They are all or have been suspended from accessing the DVLA database for gross misconduct!
    Do you really need to ask what kind of people run parking companies?
  • Hi All,
    Well I have received the normal standard letter re: your charge has been put on 35 days hold whilst they assess my appeal. Well I won't hold my breath and we will see what there next move will be.:o
  • edited 16 November 2012 at 8:29PM
    cgk1cgk1 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    edited 16 November 2012 at 8:29PM
    They will not take it to court and even if they did, the fact that the trust openly acknowledges that this is a penalty would scupper the case completely.

Edit: it gets worse then that!

Any income from fixed penalty notices will fund Parking Control’s management costs.

They explicitly state that the notices are not related to loss by the land owner but are solely to pay Parking Control's business costs - In the words of Judge McIlwaine

What has that got to do with this gentleman's parking?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides