edited 22 October 2012 at 2:33PM in Old Style MoneySaving
907 replies 76.4K views

Replies

• nannygladysnannygladys Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone
    Please put me down for £43 for November please, I have been paid today and its 4 weeks until next pay day, so I reckon its about right for 30 days. I still have a bit of food left and Im holiday for a week, but it should still work it as its self catering and Im taking food with me.

So havent spent from food budget yet and having cauliflower cheese, veggies and pasta for tea.

Jxx
    Frugal challenge 2020
    Sealed pot 13 no.31
    Emergency fund 268.95/1000
  • edited 2 November 2012 at 3:58PM
    KimberleyKimberley Forumite
    14.9K posts
    edited 2 November 2012 at 3:58PM
    Hi

I would like to try this challenge please. I tried once before but gave up because I wasn't committed enough. I want to try to spend £200 this month on Groceries/household cleaning if I can. It is just me, my 18 year old son and 15 year old son. My daughter and her boyfriend buy their own food for her and her baby so I won't include them.

Already spent £5.81 today at the corner shop on just Milk, Cereal and a couple of other bits. Normally I do a weeks shop in Tesco but I still tend to go to the corner shop for Milk or Bread but because you have to spend over a fiver to use the debit card I buy stuff I don't really need.

So my current status is Nov GC: £5.81/£200

Also I start a new job next week. It is shift work. I have a slow cooker in my cupboard gavering dust but I want to use it because some weeks I won't be able do the boys dinner. I can take lunch to work for me but I know the boys won't do their own dinner so my only option is to put the slow cooker on before I leave for a shift and get them to dish it up when the cooker is finished. I have looked on the slow cooker recipes on here but I don't understand some of them and some don't tell you how long to leave the cooker on for etc.
  • edited 2 November 2012 at 4:16PM
    lemmings1986lemmings1986 Forumite
    441 posts
    edited 2 November 2012 at 4:16PM
    Scuff wrote: »
    Butternut squash soup is DELICIOUS!!!! :D

just finished making it mmmmmm very tasty :D will definatly make it again
    i also managed 2 cheese and onion pies,i couldnt make the pastys as i ran out of pastry
    also made the bacon,onion and patato pie so got a few meals for freezer
    also couldnt do the pepper soup as i used the last of my stock cubes on the butternut squash so ill get some tomorrow and do it then.
    VSP#17 £2.34
    debt free 26/10/2012
  • Billie-joBillie-jo Forumite
    1.2K posts
    First spends of the month today in A1di & Te$co which came to £29-41
    Home made chicken tikka marsala for tea - just the two of us tonight - which is marinating in the fridge. Have been buying these at £4.50 for two portions and to be honest there is not a lot of chicken in - at the most 6 pieces. Have used 2 chicken breasts cut up and there will be some to put up in the freezer. Must do this straight away or DH will be having seconds and probably thirds :rotfl: although he is already convinced it will be nothing like the ready brought ones and will be a waste of money :o Will let you know.

I must be one of the few who do not like butternut squash soup or pumpkin soup. Have tried them a couple of times but never got the taste for either.
    MARCH £62.38/250
  • WantToBeSEWantToBeSE Forumite
    7.7K posts
    I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    jojotall wrote: »
    I'm not a coffee drinker but get coffee in for when others visit. I bought the Tesco Everyday Value coffee 47p for 100g. It was strength number 3. Anyway my friend came round for Halloween and I gave her a cup of coffee and she said what a lovely cup of coffee. I laughed my head off telling her what coffee it was. I thought it'd be naff but apparently not. It's worth a try at 47p no great loss if you think it's gross.

oooh, 49p :) Excellent, i'll put it on next weeks list thanks Jojo!!
  • put me down for £100 please.

Now this month is going to be a bit 'iffy' because we are currently staying at the OH's father's, due to us waiting to get the taps and cooker fixed in the flat by the landlord :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:! hopefull will be back to normal next week!
    May Grocery Challenge : 64.81 so far

May NSD: 0
  • tessie_beartessie_bear Forumite
    4.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    hi....spent a bit too much over half term so need to get back on track....i have a lot of food in so should last a while that said i always run out of something....need to do a meal plan for next week and sort out the bits for the pack ups

am planning to do jacket pots for tea tomorrow and maybe a roast on sunday....beef or chicken i think
    take care tess
    onwards and upwards
  • giengien Forumite
    1.6K posts
    did my second 'big shop' of the month (our month started on the 26th) for 113.06 euros.

So that gives me a total so far of 230.52. The cupboards and fridge are full. It just remains for me to by wine and beer tomorrow as we have friends coming round on Saturday night.

I am rather pleased so far about how little money we have spent so far compared to normal and how well we have been able to eat with just a bit of imagination.
    Trying to keep in budget.

• debtmessdebtmess Forumite
    711 posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Well am 69.09 down from my budget already (I cannot post in red sorry) but we have everything in until at least next weekend, no big shop needed and cat food until end of November :) the lunchbox frubes and chic biscuits are hidden in the freezer (saves them all be eaten far too quickly) nearly gave in and let mine have school dinners, but in theory have 2 weeks of lunchbox contents for less than 1 weeks dinners.
    Debt free :beer:

Married 15/02/14:D
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    No spends today, have loads of milk in so probably no spends until I go shopping on Sunday.

OH just came in in a rage because he got ID'd buying beer at Mr M by the wee old lady behind the till - he's nearly 29, six foot four with broad shoulders, hair that's starting to grey and hasn't been ID'd since he was 14 :rotfl: so he's not best pleased! I know they need to be careful now but honestly, you'd have to be such a numpty to think he's 17, he's the youngest of his friends but looks the oldest :rotfl: (but is very handsome with it of course! ;)) That would be one way to be money saving but he's gone back out with his passport lol, I think his pride is a bit shot!
    Married March 2014, DS born Dec 2015, DD born Dec 2018

July Grocery Challenge: £0/£400