❄❄ Let It Snow ❄❄ :: Christmas 2012 Chatter Thread

edited 1 May 2012 at 10:42AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
11.5K replies 904.6K views
16796806826846851150

Replies

  • Own_My_Own wrote: »
    The werthers vodka can be drunk neat. You can put it in the freezer to make it thicker. Just add more sweets if it is too strong after about 3 weeks.

    My blackjack vodka makes your eyes water, and needs a mixer with it. It also needs filtering as it forms a kind of scum on the top.

    Thanks for the top tips! Can't wait to give it a go and will definitely make enough for keeps as well as gifts.

    Has anyone made any flavoured drinks using other spirits instead of vodka?...or does this method only really work with vodka?
  • edited 25 October 2012 at 12:30AM
    Own_My_OwnOwn_My_Own Forumite
    6.1K Posts
    Xmas Saver!
    edited 25 October 2012 at 12:30AM
    autumngirl wrote: »
    Thanks for the top tips! Can't wait to give it a go and will definitely make enough for keeps as well as gifts.

    Has anyone made any flavoured drinks using other spirits instead of vodka?...or does this method only really work with vodka?

    It works with other spirits. People just use vodka as it is easily flavoured and is clear.

    I am going to try raspberry vodka next.

    http://www.rosalilium.com/2011/10/diy-how-to-make-raspberry-vodka/
    Nanamia wrote: »
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you:)
  • edited 25 October 2012 at 12:54AM
    autumngirlautumngirl Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 25 October 2012 at 12:54AM
    I'm wondering if anyone can help me spread some festive cheer in my dept at work please...

    There's 9 of us in our office (all women). We put a tree up each year but the humbugs won't allow us to do this until the week before Christmas (far too late, I'm sure you'll agree, but majority rules apparently! :() Staff morale hasn't been great recently so we need a boost sooner rather than later!

    So I'm thinking of making a special advent calendar for a little bit of cheer each day during Dec, in the run up to the big day, and I'm after ideas on what to put in the numbered pockets/compartments to be opened each day. I don't just want to put an actual gift inside, I was thinking more like some kind of written message - something more meaningful / fun / personalised. Eg I could ask colleagues from inside & outside the dept to note down nice comments / compliments (about the dept as a whole or individuals) to be opened and read out each morning. I think something along those lines would be lovely and very different to what they're all used to but my colleagues might think it too cheesy or desperate!

    What do you think? Any ideas welcome, thanks :)
  • NanamiaNanamia Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭
    Definitely not too late for flavoured vodkas. I made them mid December last year and they were a great hit. The skittles ones looked great , the blackcurrant and liquorice were also very well reviewed! Both served straight from the freezer. Made them for DS, DDiL and their friends as hubby and I don't drink.
    I popped into home bargains today without my list:( got a few bits and bobs. Really pleased with double DVD the littlest star on the Christmas tree and 'twas the night before Christmas for £1.49 :)
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you:))

    Autumngirl what a truly lovely idea. It never ceases to amaze me what lovely people post on this thread. :)
    The secret of Christmas
    It's not the things you do at Christmastime
    But the Christmas things you do
    All year through

  • Own_My_Own wrote: »
    It works with other spirits. People just use vodka as it is easily flavoured and is clear.

    I am going to try raspberry vodka next.

    http://www.rosalilium.com/2011/10/diy-how-to-make-raspberry-vodka/

    I can see my kitchen is going to turn into a science lab in thenear future...Professor Bubbleworks will have nothing on me! :D

    That looks like a nice blog too - will have a little mooch about, thanks.
  • Tesco 342 Toy Sale started today.:j

    It isn't well advertised. Even on their web site you have to look at A toy, then on the right in PALE BLUE it tells you under special offers.

    Am adding a link to a toy so you can see what I mean.

    http://www.tesco.com/direct/toy-story-3-mr-or-mrs-potato-head-only-one-supplied/208-2802.prd

    Don't forget to use the £10 off code if you spend £75.
    Valid until 28th Oct

    TD-MXTN

    autumngirl Who opens the calendar.
    Do you take it in turns ? You could put Humbugs in for miserable ones:rotfl:

    Here are some verses and poems-


    http://www.imag-e-nation.com/christmas_xmas_verses_poems_quotes.htm

    http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/christmas-card-messages.html
    Nanamia wrote: »
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you:)
  • Hey,
    Couple of questions about the werthers vodka - is it ok to use the cheap supermarket vodka or a brand? And when you say to use x many packs of werthers, how many tubes? Or is it the sharing bags you use?

    Also im lookig for a tried and tested recipe for mulled cider - i cant stand wine!! :)
    I thought it would be nice for us to share what makes us get in the Christmas mood, so ''For me Christmas starts when = the lights go up in George Square, even though they wont be switched on until 15 November, I know Christmas is on its way :D .''
    x <3 x
  • Nanamia wrote: »
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you:))
    Thanks, that made me laugh.

    I have hundreds of them saved on my laptop.
    DD has been invited to a friends for Christmas tea. And as Ds will probably be in his room, I am going to start the new thread and add them all to the first page. I just have to sort them into some kind of order.:eek:
    Nanamia wrote: »
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you:)
  • Own_My_Own wrote: »
    autumngirl Who opens the calendar.
    Do you take it in turns ? You could put Humbugs in for miserable ones:rotfl:

    Here are some verses and poems-


    http://www.imag-e-nation.com/christmas_xmas_verses_poems_quotes.htm

    http://www.homemade-gifts-made-easy.com/christmas-card-messages.html

    Lol yes either humbugs or giant neverending gobstoppers so the rest of us can carry on the festive cheer without the incessant whingeing!

    Thanks for the links.

    And Nanamia, I agree - there seems to be a lot of lovely people congregating on this thread. You've all created a warm, friendly and welcoming place to visit :)
  • MaggieMcQ wrote: »
    Hey,
    Couple of questions about the werthers vodka - is it ok to use the cheap supermarket vodka or a brand? And when you say to use x many packs of werthers, how many tubes? Or is it the sharing bags you use?

    Also im lookig for a tried and tested recipe for mulled cider - i cant stand wine!! :)
    I thought it would be nice for us to share what makes us get in the Christmas mood, so ''For me Christmas starts when = the lights go up in George Square, even though they wont be switched on until 15 November, I know Christmas is on its way :D .''
    x <3 x

    I used 4 tubes in a 3/4 bottle of cheap own brand vodka. I think it takes more sweets in cheap vodka, but it still works out cheaper than using the good stuff.

    Mulled Cider Recipes -

    http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/nigella-lawson/mulled-cider-recipe/index.html

    Never made it . So went for Nigella to be on the safe side.
    Nanamia wrote: »
    OMO I think we are going to have to rename you Miss Linky you are amazingly organised. Thank you:)
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides