MSE News: Npower latest to raise gas and electricity prices

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
14 replies 2.6K views
Former_MSE_HelenFormer_MSE_Helen
2.4K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Energy
"Npower has become the latest major energy supplier to announce price hikes, in yet more bad news for millions ..."

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eon has pledged to hold prices this year, but that gives it licence to raise them immediately on 1 January.

Couple of questions:

1. Despite the pledge, what, if anything, is actually preventing E.On from raising prices before then?
    (Cleggy made a pledge once ;))

2. Doesn't E.On still have to give the regulatory notice period for any rise? If so, shouldn't we know of a rise about the beginning of December if they plan to raise prices beginning of Jan?
  • I_luv_catsI_luv_cats Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why do the energy companies have to follow like sheep?

If the energy companies were already cutting their own throat with their margins, it shouldn't have to take another companies price announcement for them to jump on the bandwagon!

All looks suspicious.
  • chanz4chanz4 Forumite
    10.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yup called fixed pricing like milk
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • The rest of us are having to take the pain. These utility companies just put up prices to protect their profits. Lots of excuses and bland sympathy but they do it anyway and many out there will really be in trouble this Winter.

As Robert Peston said that shops on the high street have to drop their prices and cut their profit margins to compete. Energy companies just put up their prices and we all have to pay. Competiton what competition?
  • thorthor Forumite
    5.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The rest of us are having to take the pain. These utility companies just put up prices to protect their profits. Lots of excuses and bland sympathy but they do it anyway and many out there will really be in trouble this Winter.

As Robert Peston said that shops on the high street have to drop their prices and cut their profit margins to compete. Energy companies just put up their prices and we all have to pay. Competiton what competition?
    Yeah, they know that putting up prices won't lose them much customers overall due to the fact that all the compnies will follow suit like sheep.
  • MonkeeboyMonkeeboy Forumite
    132 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If you are with Npower check your bills to make sure they have given you the DD discount as I have just checked miine and note it hasnt been applied since May 2009 - overcharged by £120!!!
  • Hi All

I moved into my current property on the 1st September, n-power being current supplier. As I understood it, I was/am in a binding contract and wouldn't be able to change over to a new supplier for 6-8 weeks (so they told me) and until my new account details had come through. Called them last week as hadn't heard anything and 6 weeks had passed and finally got my account number. The young lad I spoke to did an energy tariff comparison and informed me of the go fix 14 (and £100 cash back). Didn't sign up at the time as wanted to do a comparison check first. A week has now passed only to discover that an energy hike has since taken place. Did a u-switch comparison and npower go fix 14 still coming out on top. Called them today only to be told that they couldn't honour it as price hike happened yesterday. Informed them that this deal is still coming out on u-switch comparison. She went off, spoke to someone and told me that it shouldn't be on the site or any other comparison site as they were all informed yesterday to take down. To which I replied "that would therfore be false advertisment" She said yes and that I would need to take it up with u-switch. I have decided to try and buy through u-switch and so far, it is processing. Will npower definitely have the powers to stop this from being fully processed? Obviously, the longer I leave this, the higher my bills are going to be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
  • edited 13 October 2012 at 3:05PM
    WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 October 2012 at 3:05PM
    Hi All

I moved into my current property on the 1st September, n-power being current supplier. As I understood it, I was/am in a binding contract and wouldn't be able to change over to a new supplier for 6-8 weeks (so they told me) and until my new account details had come through. Called them last week as hadn't heard anything and 6 weeks had passed and finally got my account number. The young lad I spoke to did an energy tariff comparison and informed me of the go fix 14 (and £100 cash back). Didn't sign up at the time as wanted to do a comparison check first. A week has now passed only to discover that an energy hike has since taken place. Did a u-switch comparison and npower go fix 14 still coming out on top. Called them today only to be told that they couldn't honour it as price hike happened yesterday. Informed them that this deal is still coming out on u-switch comparison. She went off, spoke to someone and told me that it shouldn't be on the site or any other comparison site as they were all informed yesterday to take down. To which I replied "that would therfore be false advertisment" She said yes and that I would need to take it up with u-switch. I have decided to try and buy through u-switch and so far, it is processing. Will npower definitely have the powers to stop this from being fully processed? Obviously, the longer I leave this, the higher my bills are going to be. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I think you must have misunderstood nPower.
    If you wish to change supplier now, do it :) It'll typically take 4-6 weeks for a change to actually occur.

No supplier will offer you a tariff that has previously been withdrawn by them.
    (Withdrawn tariiffs should not still be shown as a switching option on the comparison sites)
  • They were very clear and told me that I had to wait at least one whole month for my first bill before I could change to another supplier. They still haven't sent me anything about my account, I've had to call them to find out my number (called originally after 4 weeks but no account number had been generated at the time!). 6 weeks pass (last weekend), get account number by calling them, do their own tariff comparison with them, get quote, however, didn't take up at the time as wanted to do a full comparison of all suppliers, a week later (call yesterday) wont honour the quote. Told them still coming up on comparison sites, they said they wouldn't honour through that either...false advertisment.
  • ...have checked my emails and u switch have confirmed that I have switched! However, can Npower block it at their end? I thought the price changes weren't going to come into effect till Monday anyway?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Top savings accounts

Up to 1.7% fixed or 0.6% easy access

MSE Guides

24 craft beers for £26 delivered

Flavourly newbies only (norm £70ish)

MSE Deals