Everything & Anything New York City

edited 13 January 2016 at 2:58PM in Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning
8.5K replies 1.1M views

Replies

• ajdj wrote: »

Last year my partner was a bit bemused as we waited at 72nd St. subway and allowed 2 trains to pass through before this arrived :)http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/01/emboardwalk-empireem-brin_n_945691.html

Wow! Would have been great to see that. If you can think of any other unusual things to do, please share :)
    :hello:
  • edited 11 October 2012 at 7:22AM
    M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    edited 11 October 2012 at 7:22AM
    Now33 wrote: »
    We are thinking of going to New York for 5 days (2 adults and 2 kids aged 14/9). I am trying to work out how much spending money we would need with a limited budget. I would like to think we would have enough with £1000 to cover transport, eating out and other trip tickets. (£500 food? and £500 trips? etc). Can this be achieved? We would probably eat at places like mcdonalds etc for breakfast/lunch and a nice meal in the evening. Thx

Why would you eat at McDonalds? They're expensive and poor quality, and probably more expensive at times than the local alternatives. You can eat in NYC for cheap, if you know how.

1 - Transportation. $29 each for an unlimited MetroCard. This covers all the buses and subways in NYC. Total = $116

2 - Breakfast. Head do a corner deli, grab a coffee and a bagel, or egg/bacon etc on a Roll. Normally around $5 at the most. Total $20 per day (or $100 for the week)

3 - Lunch - Eat on the go, Grab sandwiches from delis, or utilise the amazing salad bars. Probably spend around $10 per person (I'm averaging, and assuming the children will spend less than the adults!) $40 per day, $200 for the week.

4 - Evening Meal - This is where you can sit down, have a proper meal. Use Menupages.com and find where you can go. Don't limit yourself to near your hotel. Bamontes - an amazing italian in Williamsburg, Brooklyn you get main courses for around $15.

Johns of Bleecker, which is great NY Pizza, a large pizza is $16.50 each. You'd need 2 probably to be enough for the family.

Overall, Lets budget $20 per person, $80 per day = $400 per week.

So, this is eating cheap, but good quality, and this is working out at $700 for a family of 4 to eat for the week. I sometimes don't feel hungry for breakfast or lunch (if I've had a breakfast!), so I think you're going to be able to do much better than McDonalds, or other fast food chain outlets, that you can get over here! C'mon, support the local business, rather than the multi billion dollar chain!

Now, you're taking just over $1500 (it's easier to budget in $$ as that is what you're spending, not £), and you've got more than half of it left for sightseeing.

Think of the cheap places you can go. Head to MoMA on a Friday evening when it is free. Do the Staten Island Ferry which is free. Visit the 9/11 memorial, which is free. Head to Central Park, which is Free. Walk around Greenwich Village, and the HighLine, which is Free.

I've just filled up 2 days of sightseeing there by doing free things. Is there a need for $750 of spending money for sightseeing when you can do so much for nothing.

Don't buy an NY Pass, they won't save you anything, plan what you want to visit, come back, and I'm more than willing to help out!!!

Hope that helps.

M
  • Hi all,

Managing to fit in a quick trip in the new year

Anyone ever stopped at Yotel? Seems pretty good on trip advisor , and I can get a good rate for my dates.

Thanks!
  • greenfacegreenface Forumite
    4.9K Posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    Seen it . Never stayed there . fancy it for its uniqueness . A little cramped . You need to be young (my excuse). Good location and prices are good if you find a deal. Lots of talking points to & fro . Have a look on T/A for reviews . There has been a reason why we didnt book yotel (better deal/hotels etc ) but i do fancy it for the USP. enjoy NYC
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
  • M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    joe_canada wrote: »
    Hi all,

Managing to fit in a quick trip in the new year

Anyone ever stopped at Yotel? Seems pretty good on trip advisor , and I can get a good rate for my dates.

Thanks!

What is a good rate, what are your dates?

There may be better hotels. Yotel is a tourist hotel in Midtown Manhattan. It isn't my choice of my location, and there are better locations with maybe better hotels but without dates, and budget it's difficult to say.

M
  • hab92hab92 Forumite
    125 Posts
    hab92 wrote: »
    I would say budget-wise $150-$200 a night sounds about right, but obviously looking for the best deals, both for flights and hotels which is why I was asking about whether it is too early to be looking for deals. About the beds, I thought maybe there would be places that offer 2 singles, but 2 doubles in 1 room would also be fine. So am I right in saying that the two of us could split a $200 per room, as it is per room and not per person?
    Location wise, as I mentioned before Manhattan would be preferable (nowhere specific though) although if you have any ideas about where we could stay in the surrounding areas, which would be easily accessible via subway, that would be great.
    Can I have some more opinions on this please? Thanks.
    Clint Eastwood Movie Icon book. First Win!:j
  • M4RKM wrote: »
    What is a good rate, what are your dates?

There may be better hotels. Yotel is a tourist hotel in Midtown Manhattan. It isn't my choice of my location, and there are better locations with maybe better hotels but without dates, and budget it's difficult to say.

M

4th Jan / 4 Nights / £325 (inc tax)

No particular budget, just fancied the uniqueness.
  • Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    44.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    hab92 wrote: »
    About the beds, I thought maybe there would be places that offer 2 singles, but 2 doubles in 1 room would also be fine. So am I right in saying that the two of us could split a $200 per room, as it is per room and not per person?
    That bit is right: prices are always per room not per person, but it's not uncommon to have two doubles in a room.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • M4RKMM4RKM Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    joe_canada wrote: »

$130 per night inc tax is a cheap rate. However, January 4th is always cheap, Bargains in Jan - Feb are easy to come by.

Another options around those dates is King & Grove New York, which is $129 ex tax (and a much more luxurious hotel), in a slightly better Murray Hill Location.

M
  • joe_canada wrote: »

Good price and i know what our saying about its uniqueness although alot of hotels will be going this way soon for sure. Soon you will be saying "i wish there was someone on the front desk" go for it and let us all know how you get on. your our new MSE guniea pig ,,, I can expect it to be like a technos dorm ,
    :cool: hard as nails on the internet . wimp in the real world :cool:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides