Forum Home» UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted? - Page 12

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

UK Hols and Theatre

Please check the MSE coronavirus guides that contain all the confirmed info we have – these guides are being constantly updated:
Coronavirus Help & Your Rights * Coronavirus Travel Rights

For any specific Coronavirus related queries please post on the Coronavirus Boards on the forum:
Coronavirus Support & Help * Coronavirus Travel Help & Info

Any tips for getting National Trust membership discounted?

224 replies 244.5K views

Replies

• Quentin wrote: »
    It's quite untrue (and some would find it offensive) to now say anyone taking advantage of the nt's reciprocal arrangements is "ripping off charities".

Fact: Membership of the nz historic places trust (and the scottish nt and many others) allows those members to visit NT properties in England in with their membership. The NT are happy to be involved in this. No-one forces them to do so!

And don't forget the NT does treat their customers unfairly (you would say rips them off) by charging non members more to visit if they agree to gift aid their admission charge (those that say "no" to gift aid pay less to enter!)

The suggestion that somehow by taking advantage of the reciprocal arrangements the members are illegally (you say "ripping off") depriving a charity is just nonsense. As if the NT is some oxfam type of deserving cause of a charity! Yes they are a "charity", but not one set up to help the disadvantaged, which you emotively try to suggest!

But you carry on with your campaign, as you are succeeding in keeping this thread on the front page, so many more moneysavers will see it and reap another reward in their pockets!

I cannot work out whether you misunderstand or choose to misunderstand.

But I agree with your last point - there does seem to be a few money savers around without scruples - so perhaps it is a waste of my time trying to appeal to their feelings on right and wrong.

They just don't get it.
    It's quite untrue (and some would find it offensive) to now say anyone taking advantage of the nt's reciprocal arrangements is "ripping off charities".

Fact: Membership of the nz historic places trust (and the scottish nt and many others) allows those members to visit NT properties in England in with their membership. The NT are happy to be involved in this. No-one forces them to do so!

And don't forget the NT does treat their customers unfairly (you would say rips them off) by charging non members more to visit if they agree to gift aid their admission charge (those that say "no" to gift aid pay less to enter!)

The suggestion that somehow by taking advantage of the reciprocal arrangements the members are illegally (you say "ripping off") depriving a charity is just nonsense. As if the NT is some oxfam type of deserving cause of a charity! Yes they are a "charity", but not one set up to help the disadvantaged, which you emotively try to suggest!

But you carry on with your campaign, as you are succeeding in keeping this thread on the front page, so many more moneysavers will see it and reap another reward in their pockets!

"And don't forget the NT does treat their customers unfairly (you would say rips them off) by charging non members more to visit if they agree to gift aid their admission charge (those that say "no" to gift aid pay less to enter!)"

Nothing to do with the NT

Gift Aid
    Why are there two different admission prices?

Under the Gift Aid Scheme amendments introduced by the Government in April 2006, charities who offer entrance to an attraction based on a gift aid donation rather than an admission ticket must ask visitors to pay at least 10% extra than the normal admission fee. It is your choice whether you wish to do this or not.

More details on HMRC website here:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/gif...admissions.htm

But as you can see on previous posts, more "justification" for some people to rip off the NT..............
  • edited 2 October 2012 at 11:37AM
    QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 October 2012 at 11:37AM
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    "And don't forget the NT does treat their customers unfairly (you would say rips them off) by charging non members more to visit if they agree to gift aid their admission charge (those that say "no" to gift aid pay less to enter!)"

Nothing to do with the NT......

NT don't make the rules, but it would be fair of them to point out the additional cost when "selling" the scheme to visitors.

When visitors arrive at the pay desk they ask for "2 adults", whereupon the cashier asks uf they will gift aid it so that nt can get the tax back.

That is the time to mention that it will cost them more!

However in my experience that never happens.

Luckily for the visitors, if I'm standing in the queue waiting to show my card I always tell the unsuspecting visitors that their generosity will cost them another 10%!

Needless to say so far 100% have changed their mind and gone for the cheaper entry.

I see you continue with your incorrect though offensive "rip off" allegation, though it's a small price to pay as your continued bumping of the thread just gets the message across that by joining other country's NTs with reciprocal arrangements (esp New Zealand and Scotland) we can save on the higher membership costs of the english NT!
  • edited 1 October 2012 at 2:08PM
    qetu1357qetu1357 Forumite
    1K posts
    edited 1 October 2012 at 2:08PM
    Quentin wrote: »
    NT don't make the rules, but it would be fair of them to point oit the additional cost when "selling" the scheme to visitors.

When visitors arrive at the pay desk they ask for "2 adults", whereupon the cashier asks uf they will gift aid it so that nt can get the tax back.

That is the time to mention that it will cost them more!

However in my experience that never happens.

Luckily for the visitors, if I'm standing in the queue waiting to show my card I always tell the unsuspecting visitors that their generosity will cost them another 10%!

Needless to say so far 100% have changed their mind and gone for the cheaper entry.

I see you continue with your incorrect though offensive "rip off" allegation, though it's a small price to pay as your continued bumping of the thread just gets the message across that by joining other country's NTs with reciprocal arrangements (esp New Zealand and Scotland) we can save on the higher membership costs of the english NT!

Well last time I went to a NT property there was a big sign where tickets are bought which stated two prices - a gift aid price and a normal price.

If the NT didn't point out that there was a clear choice they are in breach of HMRC guidelines. And knowing how HMRC police GA, if this was true they would soon pick up on it.

At the end is from the NT website and BTW I find it staggering that you seem to have a mission in life to deny NT vital funds.........a person whos takes out an oversea membership to evade paying UK fees and then encourages people in the queue to be mean too!

Some National Trust places operate the Gift Aid Admission scheme at their admission points. Under this scheme, non-members are offered a choice of two entry tickets:
    § Standard admission; or
    § Gift Aid Admission
    The Gift Aid Admission includes a 10% or more voluntary donation. Gift Aid Admissions enable the National Trust to reclaim tax on the whole amount paid* — an extra 25 per cent — potentially a very significant boost to our places' funds.
    An extra £1 paid under the scheme can be worth over £3 to the National Trust as shown below:

Amount paid
    by visitor Tax refund from Government* Total received by the National Trust
    Gift Aid admission £11.00 £2.75 £13.75
    Standard admission £10.00 £0.00 £10.00
  • QuentinQuentin Forumite
    40.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can have your opinion, but because it differs from mine, why the personal abuse?

I'm not mean at all.

As already pointed out, this moneysaving website isn't the place for you to come with this argument.

Look at the savings:

eg. Buying annual local membership of both the NT and English Heritage would cost £100 (one adult) or £144.50 (two seniors), but only $60 (nz dollars), approx £38.05 (one adult) or $60 (£30.85) for two seniors with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.

Just let the figures speak for themselves! And they do so without being abusive to anyone!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • dazzer68dazzer68 Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Quentin if your conversing with qetu ( I'm not sure I've blocked then) you won't get through to them....best left in their own world. Their only response is to get personnal, which is the last resort in a failing arguement.
    Had the your deceitful , dishonest and fraudulent chat yet...been there done that!
    You can have your opinion, but because it differs from mine, why the personal abuse?

I'm not mean at all.

As already pointed out, this moneysaving website isn't the place for you to come with this argument.

Look at the savings:

eg. Buying annual local membership of both the NT and English Heritage would cost £100 (one adult) or £144.50 (two seniors), but only $60 (nz dollars), approx £38.05 (one adult) or $60 (£30.85) for two seniors with the New Zealand Historic Places Trust.

Just let the figures speak for themselves! And they do so without being abusive to anyone!

What personal abuse!?

Yes this is a money saving website but that doesn't mean money saving should be at the expense of right and wrong.

Yes buying NZ memberships is cheaper than buying UK memberships but doing what you are doing means the NT trust get nothing whilst you are using their fascilities.

And encourgaing people in the queue not to pay the GA admission price - which means that NT get around £4 in benefit for one pound of cost to the visitor - is perverse.

Do you hang around the NT shop and warn people that the goods are more expensive that Tescos!?

Remember the NT is a charity that is dependent on admisson fees, memberships and GA to maintain the properties.

If we all acted like you, they would have to close some of the properties down.
  • dazzer68 wrote: »
    Quentin if your conversing with qetu ( I'm not sure I've blocked then) you won't get through to them....best left in their own world. Their only response is to get personnal, which is the last resort in a failing arguement.
    Had the your deceitful , dishonest and fraudulent chat yet...been there done that!

Don't you remember that the only abuse came from you when you called me a bigot?

Would you not call that personal?
  • beefturnmailbeefturnmail Forumite
    822 posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    qetu1357 wrote: »
    What personal abuse!?

If we all acted like you, they would have to close some of the properties down.

Or maybe cut the salary of a few directors?

If we all acted like you Sky would have to close some of their call centres.
  • edited 3 October 2012 at 11:39AM
    qetu1357qetu1357 Forumite
    1K posts
    edited 3 October 2012 at 11:39AM
    Or maybe cut the salary of a few directors?

If we all acted like you Sky would have to close some of their call centres.

I really need to start a list.

Reasons to rip off National Trust - a charity

Directors are paid too much
    They charge more for GA admission than normal admission
    They sell off land they are bequested

So if you or anyone has this mind set, you can rip off anyone and everyone!

As for me, Sky had a choice whether to send out an engineer or to let me cancel my account. They choose to send out an engineer.

Unfortunately, NT's only way to stop you and your like ripping them off (remember NT is a charity, it is a charity you are ripping off) is to not allow genuine NZ members to visit UK properties.

Sleep well, I dare say you will with your logic. I just wonder what other charities you and your like would rip off............