Porcelain Crowns ............ question.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
3 replies 650 views
squibbs25squibbs25 Forumite
1.3K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
My sister is looking to get porcelin crowns on 6 top front teeth, she has been to see one cosmetic dentist, who she heard advertising on the radio. (he seems ok - struggled to get an appointment as so busy!)
She does not know of anyone who has used him before.
I have said that being as she is about to part with over £2000 she should find someone on recommendation, even go to the dentist association.
What does anyone here think?

As she is paying private i'm scared she's makng a mistake as she dont know his reputation (IYSWIM)

Thanks,

Squibbs
My beloved dog Molly
27/05/1997-01/04/2008
RIP my wonderful stepdad - miss you loads
:Axxxxxxxxx:A
our new editions
Senna :male: and Dali :female: both JRT

Replies

• Savvy_SueSavvy_Sue Forumite
    43.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she has a regular dentist, she should maybe ask whether there are any problems which would make this not such a good idea - if you look back at some of Toothsmith's previous posts I think he says it's not worth doing some kinds of work for people who bite their nails. Or smokers ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: TWO adult cardigans, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees, 2 sets of handwarmers, 1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 3 balaclavas, multiple hats and poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: pink balaclava (for myself), seaman's hat, about to start another cardigan!
  • TeerahTeerah Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I would say to go with a recommendation from someone she knows...good dentists dont usually need to advertise.
  • ToothsmithToothsmith Forumite
    9.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does she have a 'regular' dentist.

Does she go to see a dentist regularly?

If she doesn't, then a big treatment like this is not the place to start. Crowns need much more looking after, and need watching much more closely for signs of trouble.

Why does she want crowns in the first place?

I think there is a lot more here that needs to be looked into and discussed before finding the actual dentist to do it.

If there are any underlying issues of care though, no decent dentist would just launch into a huge treatment without taking care of underlying problems.

There are probably a few too many who would do it with just a promise of continued committment, rather than the patient proving it by attending regularly for check ups for a few years before the treatment was undertaken though.
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST MSE NEWS AND GUIDES

Cheap Train Tickets

Hidden fares, split tickets and how to beat booking fees

MSE Guides