Quick Acer Question

mamanmaman Forumite
25.7K Posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
✭✭✭✭✭
As a novice, I'd appreciate some advice on this:

I bought three small (foot high) acers last week. They were only £6 for all three. I'm wondering how best to look after them through the winter. My plan is to have them in pots.

I was thinking of repotting them and keeping in my (almost always unheated) conservatory and watering occasionally. I was afraid with them being so small they'd not like being outdoors yet in case we have a harsh winter.

Any views?

Replies

• blossomhill_2blossomhill_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    That should do it, bear in mind they will be litle more than bare sticks over winter so not too attractive - maybe just put all 3 in the one pot for their early year(s)

I lost one last week on a sunny day, leaves just curled up and died, so beware too much conservatory sun
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
  • edited 26 September 2012 at 9:16PM
    BadrickBadrick Forumite
    603 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    edited 26 September 2012 at 9:16PM
    I lost one last week on a sunny day, leaves just curled up and died, so beware too much conservatory sun
    Good point about the sunlight, as their natural habitat is light shade.
    For some strange reason, I've had the odd outdoor potted acer just shed all it's leaves mid season, and in many instances they'd grow again the following year.
    May be worth sticking outside in a sheltered spot and see if it comes back next year..
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • blossomhill_2blossomhill_2 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Badrick, I will
    I know the soil was a little dry, I had been watering it but ants had turned it to dust so it didn't retain water well, but I will give it a fighting chance

I love acers but get mixed results with them - the one in the front has done so well it had outshaded everything else and I have had to give it a minimalist Japanese style cloud pruining

The ones in the back are all less successful
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides