Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

October 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 11

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

October 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 21 September 2012 at 5:34PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1K replies 69.6K views

Replies

• I wonder if anyone can help me find a thread/link I remember seeing a while ago, about feeding a family of 4 for £100 but it included the 5 a day fruit/veg?
    I am really hoping I didn't imagine it!
    NSDs 7/20
    Make £10 a day £403.74/£310
  • edited 25 September 2012 at 7:03AM
    rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 September 2012 at 7:03AM
    Redouble, here's the Feed a Family for £100 thread, but bear in mind its 2011 so the prices will be ood. Good luck with your GC challenge :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • rosieben wrote: »
    Redouble, here's the Feed a Family for £100 thread, but bear in mind its 2011 so the prices will be ood. Good luck with your GC challenge :)

Thank you, I'm not planning to follow it entirely but use as a base, I really need a good kick start and that will be a great help. Thank you again xx
    NSDs 7/20
    Make £10 a day £403.74/£310
  • JayJay14JayJay14 Forumite
    1.9K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Redouble wrote: »
    Thank you, I'm not planning to follow it entirely but use as a base, I really need a good kick start and that will be a great help. Thank you again xx

Don't forget this one too

http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org.uk/

Weezl built this one on MSE with lots of people from here testing for her.
  • My budget for October is £250.I am still posting in Septembers atm. and my month runs 1st-31st.
  • mummygems - we love Aldi! You can't get everything you want from there but we try lol. We check out MrT etc on the web for their offers, buy what we can from Aldi and then go to the supermarkets to top up what we can't get from Aldi/Lidl. Sometimes the supermarkets are cheaper most of the time they're not. We have given up on market fruit and veg for the same reasons - going off the next day - can't afford to double buy!

Helen
    Projects made for craft fair - 40 :)
    1st fair on 13/4/14 :j
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've added Lulabelle's Waffle Berry Pie recipe (from Sept thread) to the index on here :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Hello folks! Going to have another stab at this. The first attempt in August failed miserably thanks to moving house/having no internet for several weeks/general awryness. September went out the window thanks to my birthday and being knocked out with illness, lets hope it's third time lucky!

I'm going to try £200 from now until the end of Oct. This is for me & the OH. Spent a bit too much on birthday fun last month so we really have to tighten our belts this month - should be easy-ish though, as the storecupboard is fair brimming with goodies. But that all depends on how much Mr Merle attempts to undermine my schemes with sneaky treats as he is wont to do! Time will tell!

PS. Thanks MrsCD on the info about the Asda Price Guarantee!

PPS. Thanks JJ for the heads up on the Tesco canned pears!

If anyone's looking for things to do with their pears, Nigella has a wonderful http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/chocolate-pear-pudding-102]chocolate pear pudding recipe here from Nigella Express... which I'm now salivating about!

& for ease...

Ingredients
    830 grams Pear halves (2 cans in juice)
    125 grams Plain flour
    25 grams cocoa powder
    125 grams caster sugar
    150 grams butter soft (plus extra for greasing)
    1 teaspoon(s) Baking powder
    teaspoon(s) bicarbonate of soda
    2 medium Eggs
    2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract

Method
    Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6 and grease a 22cm square ovenproof dish with butter.

Drain the pears and arrange them on the base of the dish.

Put all the remaining ingredients in a food processor and blitz until you have a batter with a soft dropping consistency.

Spread the brown batter over the pears, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.

Let stand out of the oven for 5 or 10 minutes and then cut into slabs - I cut 2 down and 2 across to make 9 slices - and serve with chocolate sauce.

x
    a penny picker upper. every penny's a prisoner!
    £26.65 til OnePoll payout! Round six! | Save £9400/£15,000
    Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.
    Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.
    The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
  • Oh, now I've got Nigella in mind, I remember ages ago someone saying that they had a glut of onions. Just wanted to share this recipe of hers (from How To Be A Domestic Goddess) as it's one of my ultimate faves.

Supper Onion Pie

Cook 4 red onions (cut into 6ths or 8ths) in 1 tbsp oil and 1 tbsp butter on low heat for about 1/2 hr. (I'm lazy & only do this for about 15 mins).

Add 3-4 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1/2 tsp dried thyme to the onions and place in a buttered pie dish. (I don't bother with the buttering, but each to their own).

Grate 150g of strong cheddar or gruyere (tbh, I use goats cheese) and sprinkle 1/3 of it over the onions.

Place the remaining cheese in a bowl with 250g plain flour and 1 tsp baking powder. Mix.

Add 40g melted butter (I do this in the frying pan I've used before, so it picks up any leftover thyme), 100ml milk, 1 tsp english mustard (I just use powder) and a beaten egg to a separate bowl and mix with a fork. (I tend not to beat the egg separately - more of a chuck it all in and whisk away kind of girl).

Mix your wet ingredients with the dry and turn out your dough, shape it into a circle big enough to make your pie lid, it'll probably be a bit sticky. Then press over the onions. (As I often use gluten-free flour, I add extra milk in so the dough is almost like cake mixture, and just spoon it on top. I don't see why you couldn't do this whatever ingredients you use and save some time. I suppose it depends on the sturdiness of your dough. Just spread the mixture till it covers the pie).

Cook for 15 mins at 200 deg C then reduce to 180 deg C and cook for a further 10 mins. Take it out, let it stop bubbling for a few moments, then put a place over the dish and turn it over. Voila!

Cheap and delicious! I tend to eat a good third of the pie with some salad (spinach, rocket). Nigella reckons you should just munch a mere sixth of it, but it's really too tasty for such nonsense. ;)
    a penny picker upper. every penny's a prisoner!
    £26.65 til OnePoll payout! Round six! | Save £9400/£15,000
    Normality is a paved road; it's comfortable to walk, but no flowers grow on it.
    Whatever you're meant to do, do it now. The conditions are always impossible.
    The only thing you absolutely have to know, is the location of the library.
  • Well today was pay day and off to Lidl I went. £36 later (along with flabbergasting the till check out guy with my constant exclamations of 'but thats 1/3 of my budget!' - but I got home and reassured myself that I DID buy well..and all is ok with the budget! I do love Lidl.

I also arrived home to a notice from the postoffice saying something I'd purchased online from the USA had arrived but I had to pay £11 customs duty on it. I'm contacting the company as I paid rather exhorbitant fees for postage on it in the first place and its only a tiny parcel!

Not happy.

Other than that...alls well in my world. I've got some chocolate and nuts so making chocolate covered cocoa nib and nut drops later... thats my treats for the next few weeks sorted!

:)
    GC January 2015 - £0/£120