A question I should know the answer to! - Transfer of ISA

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
6 replies 706 views
scottp_2scottp_2 Forumite
149 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hi,

I feel a little silly asking this question as i should really know the answer, working for a bank.
I have an ISA with RBS which i pay £250 into per month. I started from January this year so have £1500 in it, £750 from the last tax year and £750 from this tax year. The money is to be used on a deposit for a house, which is not going to be for a good 4 years (Too young to get a mortgage, my wage is still low and my girlfriend is also going through University so we want to wait until she qualifies as a Nurse).
The current rate on the ISA is 4.85%, as all the rates have been restructured, but it only really affects the people with a large holding (£9000+ still only gets 5.15% though). Obivously it will take me 3 years to reach that level.
So,I am wanting to transfer the ISA to another provider. As I don't touch the money at all (I ignore the money in the ISA as available funds) I dont mind not been able to withdraw it in a hurry. An Internet only provider would be ideal but also a small building society would be fine. As well, I have heard that YBS are quite good at the minute, and living in Yorkshire, there is no shortage of branches.
Can I do this now, or will I have to wait until I have finished investing in this tax year?

Thanks alot for your help!

Scott

Replies

• jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can do it anytime - you don't have to wait.
  • scottp_2scottp_2 Forumite
    149 Posts
    I have only dealt with people transfering into us, so how do I go about opening the account with YBS (As this one seems the best for me at the minute)? Do I just arrange the appointment with YBS and they will sort everything else out?

Thanks for your comment!
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I presume it's the e-ISA you are referring to?

If so apply online and complete and send a transfer form to them.

http://www.ybs.co.uk/savings/apply.jsp
    149 Posts
    Thanks for that. Had a better look at the website and got it all worked out.

Printed the application so it just needs sending off once I have the ID Verified. Sadly I don't have 2 items off the Address Verification table so I will need to ring them on Monday to confirm what other proof I can use. I've got Passport, Driving Licence, Birth certificate and the most recent bank statement. You recon that will be enough?

Thanks
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure you have enough ID there.

Are you not filling in the online application? Normally an electronic verification system is used and you may not need physical proof of ID.
    149 Posts
    All it does when you fill out the online application is then produce a printable version. The instructions then say to send off the proff of ID with the application.

Thanks Alot!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals