Forum Home » Old Style MoneySaving

September 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 77

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

September 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 22 August 2012 at 1:00PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.1K replies 105.7K views

Replies

• Third NSD in a row here. Don't really need anything. Maybe a birthday present as DS has a party invite. What do you get a 4yo girl?
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • craigywvcraigywv Forumite
    2.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    jumblejack wrote: »
    I would like to share this here:

These are 50p in Asda at the moment and they are incredibly tasty. Normally I HATE burgers, but I have tried them for tea and oh my, they are GOOD!!!photo-117.jpg
    will deffo be getting those yum!!:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Bluegreen143Bluegreen143 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Save Dosh;55769745
    SheWho - they are on the side with the recycle, i don't really bake, but i could, i have all the stuff in to and am trying to use things up, thanks for that, will see if they can squeeze into freezer - i know Jumblejack posted about the banana icecream, but they are too brown for that. p.s. i don't do the kilo thing either.[/QUOTE]

Honestly - bananas cant get too brown for ice cream - the browner he sweeter! I always make milkshake with brown bananas though, either fresh or when frozen, which makes your milkshake cold like an ice cream shake :D. Just two bananas and a half pint of milk blended up makes a pint of amazing deliciousness. Used to love it as a kid and it's super healthy.
    Me too and it saves a fortune :). The only problem items we have are baked beans, coffee and ketchup - DH refuses cheap versions of these though my sons don't notice the difference so I can get away with it for them :rotfl:.

My (otherwise fussy) OH is fine with the cheaper ketchup, through I got a glass bottle this time and decanted into last time's squeeze bottle as ha would be a step too far! He won't go for value shower gel or household cleaners which does my head in. Though I insist on expensive shampoo/conditioner and he uses Alberto Balsam, so he has his frugal areas too. My hair is so long and wavy that I need to wash it properly or it looks so terrible!

I don't like value beans but we buy own brand rather than branded. I think the value frozen sweetcorn isn't as nice as the normal stuff but the value frozen peas are fine. Still buy the value sweetcorn as I'm trying to train my palate :rotfl:

No grocery spends today. OH made nice veg curry with rice out of stuff we had in, using up half a tin of coconut milk on its last legs :)
    :heart: Married 1 March 2014 :heart::D DS born 06 Dec 2014 :D DD born 14 Dec 2018
  • PopperwellPopperwell Forumite
    5.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought my first cans of vegetable and chicken curry in ASDA yesterday I assume i do some rice with it, don't know if that's the end of it or I add anything else and if one can is too much, The same with the packet of Uncle Ben's rice(I'll either have tp eat a lot of throw some rice away.

Suppose i could do some potatoes or chips with it...hope its not too strong spice wise...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • rosiebenrosieben Forumite
    5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live alone and instead of throwing food out because there's too much in the packet, I just make two meals and eat the same tomorrow
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Spent about £5 yesterday on groceries, can't recall where or even what was purchased. Doh!

Today i spent £53.67 but got that reduced to £47.67 using a -£6 off a £40 spend voucher.

I had been thinking about purchasing some quite expensive nut-bean-burgers, but changed tack and decided to make them from scratch instead and they were very easy to make and tasty to eat.

For anyone who wants to try some inexpensive but very filling vegetarian burgers, here is my recipe for them...

Ingredients...

- 3 or 4 slices of bread/250-350 g...turned into breadcrumbs (i bake my own bread so maybe it costs about 10p at most)

- 200g of nuts (I intended buying peanuts but accidentally purchased cashews (£1.32)

- a small to medium sized onion (from a bag of onions costing 99p - so approx 6 or 8p)

- tin of basic kidney beans (20p)

- tin of cheapish butter beans (39p)

- 4 eggs (56p)

If i have done my maths correctly the total cost is about £2.75 and it made 12 very substantial burgers. Approx 23p per burger or thereabouts.

Method...

- mix together the breadcrumbs, chopped nuts and chopped onion.

- in another bowl mix together the drained cans of kidney beans and butter beans. Mash the beans up a bit, keeping some beans whole.

- add 4 eggs to the bean mixture.

- add the breadcrumb and nut mixture to the bean mixture and combine well.

- season as preferred.

- Add any extra flavourings/herbs or spices, such as curry powder or paste, chillies etc.

- wet your hands and then taking *handfuls of mixture, first make a ball shape and then flatten into burger shapes.

- Fry the burgers in a sufficient amount of oil to prevent them sticking to the pan.

- Turn the burgers ocassionally until heated through and lightly or moderately browned on each side.

*this amount of ingredients made 12 x handfulls/burgers, but the size of ones hands will of course vary, and hence the amount of burgers made.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • PopperwellPopperwell Forumite
    5.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    rosieben wrote: »
    I live alone and instead of throwing food out because there's too much in the packet, I just make two meals and eat the same tomorrow

I tend to do that but I understand rice cannot or should not be recooked...
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • Forgot to add...

From the garden i harvested 3 smallish yellow courgettes, a fair amount of various french beans and borlotti beans,a massive squash and enough apples to make an apple crumble.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • mossymossy Forumite
    1.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Had to spend another 69p at L!dls this evening, it turns out you need lettuce to make a salad...who knew!! :o At least it's just around the corner and I ONLY bought that, nothing else!!

Also just fixed DH's jeans by cutting out a bit of an old pair, how very OS of me!! ;)
    Saving for Disney again, oops why book one Disney holiday when you can book two!
    :starmod: Emergency Fund Savings - #148 - £10/£1000 1% :starmod:
    :xmastree:#083 SPC6 £63 - SPC7 £90 - SPC8 £63 - SPC9 £54 - SPC10 £26 - SPC12 £70 :xmastree:
  • Save_DoshSave_Dosh Forumite
    1.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Popperwell there is something about rice where you have to be careful, but don't think its about freezing as you can buy frozen meals with rice, but obviously check it out. I would just fridge and stirfry with other bits the next day or as Rosieben said, have the same, im not too fussed and do that sometimes.
    August GC - Food £55.56/£80 Alcohol £17.24/£20
    Bulk Funds - Food £19.73 -
    Save 12k in 2019 £1,300/£5,000 - #155