Possible Questions and Chat area for Comps Forum?

edited 21 August 2012 at 11:31PM in Site Feedback
18 replies 1.6K views
MamzieMamzie Forumite
2.5K Posts
edited 21 August 2012 at 11:31PM in Site Feedback
This is a suggestion that has cropped up time and time again, over in the Comps Forum. So after seeing the very useful Skip Button thread I thought I would put it here too.

Basically atm, any Questions are only allowed in the very long Comps Discussion thread on the Main board... The odd general chit chat thread gets started in IWIW, but that is not really supposed to be allowed either. General chat is over in the Compers Inn, but as this is just one thread, again you can quickly lose track of things in there... Yes the same Q gets asked a lot, because people don't want to read a 800post thread to find the answer. I think a chat and questions sub board area may help the Comps section be the friendly and helpful it always used to be, and it would let people ask for help and advice very easily.

Members would then have the choice to use it or not. Threads with Q's or chat on could just be moved there instead of merged into an already long and winding single thread...

I will c&p a couple of posts from Comps Discussion, to explain a little further, what we mean.
Blulu wrote: »
Guys, having slept on it, I had a flash of inspiration. There is no reason not to try out a discussion board alongside this thread and the compers inn. We could keep all three going and then folk could use whichever they wanted. Could stay that way permanently if all three kept being used. At some point I'll test this out in IWIWIW and hopefully see what others think :)
Mamzie wrote: »
we've asked for this a few times. i would love a compers chat corner board - where people could start their own threads to ask a Q in, without getting lost in one long thread. Sometimes I think many don't bother to really read this thread as they know that a post will get answered by a few, but that means lots of members don't get a chance to be involved.

xxx
Mamzie wrote: »
yes I do :)

I think that similair Q's may be asked again and again, but possibly because of multiple threads, more people may be have a chance to post a comment in response, without worrying they may be stepping on toes (no offence to anyone). I have nothing against our cherished reg compers who can quickly point people in the direction of a sticky, but sometimes people may want to ask a follow on q or get another opinion over 24 hours or so... Yet within a mixed topic single thread, this can be missed or people don't want to plough through a huge thread looking for missed Q's.

But there could also be threads in there on hints and tips, compers gossip, how to comp faster, gossip about the weather, welsh compers chat thread, and many more, etc... Literally just one place in the compers forum on MSE that people needn't feel nervous about bumping threads, yet not be forced to post all onto one huge thread like comps discussion or the Inn.

I know we have the stickys, and I am grateful that they are there, but maybe a place where we could get to know each other more, help and chat, may help to make/keep/return the comps forum to the kind, caring and courteous board it used to be in the past, xxx
My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx

Replies

• BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    :T:T:T
    You know the more I think about this, the more certain I am that a general discussion board is the way to go. I've given my reasons before, so I won't go over them all again - this time :D

But I had a new thought, often discussions happen on the main comp board threads. This bumps the comp to the top of the list every time someone adds a post. If we had a separate discussion board we could debate anything to our hearts content there, without bumping comps on the main thread. All that would be needed on the main competition post would be one bump to post a link to the discussion post.

We could then debate off topic issues and share any funny/creative competition entries without having to keep bumping the competition post.

Thanks Mamzie for raising this issue again. I hope people will add to the debate :T:T:T
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

{{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • babymoobabymoo Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Sounds like a marvellous idea to me, I never venture onto the comps chat threads because there is too many conversations going on abotu different thing and it is too hard to follow so I just don't get involved. IF we had a seperate board I would perhaps feel like I could get involved more rather than just entering the competitions!

• EnglishWelshieEnglishWelshie Forumite
    989 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a wonderful idea. I know I found comping rather overwhelming at first and would have probably found it easier with a general discussion board. I feel it would be useful to new compers to be able to find info they need on separate threads like the IWIWIW board rather than all on just one thread and can see how easy it is for questions to go unanswered as when everyone is posting on just one thread things can move far too quickly to keep up with it sometimes.
  • Hi Folks,

I think we can do this for you. To be clear, you want another sub-board of the Competitions area for chatting in and answering questions?

Any name preferences for the sub-board?

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: [email protected]
  • BluluBlulu Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    YAY :T Thanks loads. I would just call it 'discussion' or 'general discussion'. Something simple that suggests anything goes. Aren't you lot wonderful? :A Blu X
    Anyone else miss the chat in Compers Chat Corner? How about we try to bring it back?

{{{{{ Imagine ALL the people sharing ALL the world }}}}}
  • fire**flyfire**fly Forumite
    146.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Folks,

I think we can do this for you. To be clear, you want another sub-board of the Competitions area for chatting in and answering questions?

Any name preferences for the sub-board?

:j:j thank you that's brilliant :T:T
    like blulu says general discussions sounds great :T
    thanks x
    please be a responsible pet owner & spay/neuter your pets, too many strays & not enough homes for them sadly. k2u58ioz4c8e.png

• MamzieMamzie Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    That would be fantastic, thank you so much for listening. I have to confess I have always called it Compers Chat Corner, (kinda - take a seat, heres the board to chat about comps, post hints and tips, ask questions galore and relax after a hard days comping) when I've posted about it in the past, but would be happy with whatever name, just really excited that this may actually be possible, xxxxx
    My light may be on, but that doesn't always mean I am looking at the PC - I am far more likely to be cuddling or feeding Tianna atm, so please don't think I am ignoring you if I don't reply quickly :)

Our Precious Baby Tianna has now joined our Family, she is much loved and very welcome, xxx
  • Hi Folks,

Barring any unforeseen technical problem, I've tasked our dev team with getting this live this afternoon for you.

Follow @MSE_Forum on twitter
    Join the MSE Forum
    New forum user? Watch our New to the Forum? Youtube guide
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag up a news story: [email protected]
  • MamzieMamzie Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    that is fantastic, thank you ever so much, xxx

• standingupformyselfstandingupformyself Forumite
    603 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Thank you MSE Forumteam - this will definately be a great idea
    2011: £10 Sports Direct Voucher, Peppa Pig Wii Game, Trivial Pursuit Card Game, £100 Chat magazine win, Dance workout dvd, Grease wii game,
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Covid test firms form self-regulating body

A bid to tackle poor service concerns

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ quotes & cashback

MSE Guides