Alarm clock for 11 year old.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
7 replies 1.1K views
Slinky_MalinkySlinky_Malinky Forumite
896 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in I wanna buy-it or do-it
Hi,
Please can you help me a find a suitable clock for 11 year old son. It can be either mains or battery operated ( as long as batteries last well). I want something with a big snooze button, hoping to get him to have one snooze and then up for school. He cannot stand anything that makes a constant noise, so it must not make a ticking or buzzing/humming noise through the the night. It would be better if he can wake up to radio or a more gentle noise rather than a harsh beeping. I don`t mind paying around £20 to £30ish for a good one.
I have tried looking on Argos and Amazon, but they don`t tell you if they make a constant ticking/buzzing noise. So I am hoping someone here can recommend one from experience.

Thanks,
SM

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If its a digital clock, it shouldnt buzz or click anyway.

Does he have a mobile phone which could act as an alarm clock.

Small digital ones can be picked up for a fiver nowadays, no need to spend 20 quid or more on one.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • jenniewbjenniewb Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with that, try Amazon if you know what your looking for but I've had one from Tesco (think it was around £5 a few years back) it had a digital clock face and an alarm which could be selected to have a radio or alarm noise sound, the radio itself wasn't digital but the clock was which means it didn't make a tick sound. It also had a massive snooze button on the top.

Tesco and Sainsburys both sell branded alarm clocks for around £10 or £12 and they have both radio and noise alarms and both have digital clock faces.
  • Enterprise_1701CEnterprise_1701C Forumite
    23.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you have a bit of a problem getting him up - might be a fun one you want. Put "alarm clock runaway" into the search box on Amazon.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • drew__2drew__2 Forumite
    323 Posts
    Try out- NOTONTHEHIGHSTREET.COM
    Its good for such stuff
  • brightonman123brightonman123 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    maplins, or get a cheap payg mobile? check what sound settings it has, to use as an alarm!
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • Thanks all for your suggestions. I will try him with his mobile and see how it works out, if not look on Amazon or Tesco for a digital clock. Love the runaway clocks - I have a vision of the clock dashing around the house while son hides under his duvet!
  • I can only dream of the day my kids need an alarm clock! 6am every morning, without fail. This is the 6th year........Does anyone have an address to which I can return them....it's just not working out.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals