What our holiday rep failed to mention...

Hi all, this is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:

"Having been on all-inclusive package holidays before, and after only paying £320, I wasn’t expecting 5-star luxury (it wasn’t).

"I did expect our rep to be a bit more helpful though. After all, his job was to make sure we enjoyed our holiday (we did, though no thanks to him)..."

Replies

• ruby_eskimoruby_eskimo Forumite
    3.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your story sounds exactly the same as my experience when I went to Rhodes with Olympic. We were invited to a "free" BBQ with drinks included provided by the hotel. What they failed to say was it was free if you booked an excursion through the Rep. Our flight times were changed the day before we left, when checkout was 12, our original flights were 3pm but were changed to 2:30am! So we spent all day and most of the night in the bar. We were dumped at Rhodes airport and the Reps left to go back to where they were staying, knowing full well that there was a delay to our flight! There were no boards, no announcements, we just had to keep asking staff in the airport where we had to go/what was going on. Ended up not getting on the plane till almost 8am! No apology from Olympic, and I would not go with them again. This was 5 years ago, and if you went with them, clearly they haven't learnt their lesson!
    Emergency Fund - £5309.05 / £10,000 :: Total Mortgage OP - £3566.50
    LISA 2021 - £3199 :: NSD December - 0 / 20 :: Weight Loss: 33.4 / 58lbs :: Decluttering - 1177 / 2001 ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐🏅🏅
    Engaged 9th December 2010 :: Married 29th October 2015 :: Bought a House 13th January 2017
  • cottonheadcottonhead Forumite
    696 Posts
    ✭✭
    I once had a holiday that turned out not to be as advertised and so I wrote to the tour operator to complain. They sent me a £50 voucher off my next holiday so I worte and complained again and stated a £50 voucher is no good as I will NEVER book with them again. The second reply had a £700 cheque enclosed. Holidays are a product and should be what you sign up for ( unless it states somewhere that alternatives can be offered ).
  • minnie123minnie123 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I went on holiday to Rhodes with Olympic and they thought it was a good idea to walk us past a car crash that had just happened to drop us at our apartments. We had a lovely view of a man with his brains hanging out still alive making noises I have never heard come from a human and a blonde woman covered in blood. Lovely start to the holiday in fact we could hear him making noises for a couple of hours after we were dropped as the ambulance took so long to arrive. I asked the rep if she could move us the next day as I was a mess tbh and she just shrugged it off. Later in the holiday our apartments got egged and the cleaner used one of my t-shirts to clean it up. Worst holiday ever.
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
    :A1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11:A
  • rachhhrachhh Forumite
    345 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Not trying to be rude or even impolite, but I think this would get more replies on the holidays board, wouldn't it? :)
    Started 30/08/2011
    Biggest Wins: GHD's, 5* Trip to London, VIP Trip to Isle of MTV Festival in Malta.
    Thanks so much to all who post :)
  • edited 3 July 2012 at 8:36PM
    brightonman123brightonman123 Forumite
    8.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2012 at 8:36PM
    I had an 'all inclusive' week in Tunisia several years ago - cant remember the t/a.

Agent made no mention of it being Ramadam that week (staff at hotel got a bit ratty, as fasting, busy times..), or that most snack/drink items at hotel were not included!

It took a lot of hassle to get refund of costs incurred, and compensation (a nominal £50) for money wasted- that would have otherwise gone on souvenirs and seeing the 'sights'..

At the time, this included late night building (noise!) on the site next door- along with unfinished roads, etc.

regarding rep-arranged tours, i would def DIY- usually cheaper in most cases, when its YOUR choice, and at YOUR pace.
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • edited 3 July 2012 at 9:29PM
    msb5262msb5262 Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2012 at 9:29PM
    minnie123 wrote: »
    I went on holiday to Rhodes with Olympic and they thought it was a good idea to walk us past a car crash that had just happened to drop us at our apartments. We had a lovely view of a man with his brains hanging out still alive making noises I have never heard come from a human and a blonde woman covered in blood. Lovely start to the holiday in fact we could hear him making noises for a couple of hours after we were dropped as the ambulance took so long to arrive. I asked the rep if she could move us the next day as I was a mess tbh and she just shrugged it off.

Sorry to hear your holiday was ruined by seeing the aftermath of a car accident, but I can't help thinking the accident probably had a rather more severe long-term effect on the families of the people involved!

Am I the only person thinking it shows an unusual attitude to a serious car crash to be saying, "My holiday was wrecked!"?

MsB
  • edited 3 July 2012 at 11:18PM
    minnie123minnie123 Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 3 July 2012 at 11:18PM
    msb5262 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear your holiday was ruined by seeing the aftermath of a car accident, but I can't help thinking the accident probably had a rather more severe long-term effect on the families of the people involved!

Am I the only person thinking it shows an unusual attitude to a serious car crash to be saying, "My holiday was wrecked!"?

MsB

You are twisting my words - I never said my holiday was wrecked by them having the accident - I said the Olympic rep should have made the correct decision to not walk us past the accident.

It more than "wrecked my holiday" I was in tears the whole week traumatised, couldn't sleep or be left alone and the rep didn't want to know. I saw the accident for months afterwards. The point is to the Olympic reps this was all fine!

Of course I felt for the people I spent the whole week trying to find out how they were - the rep informed me they were drink driving with no seatbelts in an open top car he survived but in what state I do not know.

Anyway this is the reason I rarely post there is always someone there to twist my words as I am not very eloquent at writing down what I mean.
    Eleventh Heaven (#123):
    :A1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11:A
  • Personally, I'd never go on an all inclusive holiday - everyone I have spoken to that has been on one reports that the food is cheap and the drinks watered down. That, plus the fact that this type of holiday generally attracts hard core drinkers and families with lots of kids, means it is not my type of holiday at all.

I am learning at the knee of a master (my Mum) on how to book cheap holidays by booking flights and accommodation separately. She and my Dad have had some stunning holidays very cheaply.
  • rachhh wrote: »
    Not trying to be rude or even impolite, but I think this would get more replies on the holidays board, wouldn't it? :)

Thanks for the recommendation - will move to the holidays board. :)

MSE Becca
  • mcfiscomcfisco Forumite
    2K Posts

So some people actually make contact with the holiday rep?

I tend to avoid them at all costs
    I have long known that it is part of God's plan for me to spend a little time with each of the most stupid people on earth.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides