Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

July 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 10

New Post Advanced Search
We are currently experiencing a high volume of spam and have increased the sensitivity of our spam filters. This could mean that genuine posts may get caught. If you believe this has happened to one of your posts, please email the Forum team on [email protected] As always, we are really grateful for your patience whilst we get this sorted - which we'll do as soon as possible.
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

July 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 4 June 2012 at 1:30PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.4K replies 126.6K views

Replies

• edited 28 June 2012 at 5:14PM
    jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 28 June 2012 at 5:14PM
    My elderflower and rose petal cordial results are in......

Melt a kilo of sugar in around 1.7 pints of water. Add juice of 2 lemons (and zest if preferred)
    Allow to cool.

Plunge in your fruit/flowers etc and leave for 24 hours covered.

Sieve through a folded clean tea towel and bottle.

Refrigerate. Will last for several weeks.

Dilute with wine or sparkling water for guests (or just filtered tap water for yourself ;))

photo-132.jpg?t=1340828647

photo-133.jpg

Edit:

Sorry about the weird sizing of the pics. I don't know what photobucket is playing at!

If they are too big, I will happily remove them :)
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never seen reduced items in Aldi.

I have in my local, and also in L1dl, they just put a sticker on them with 30% off or 50% off. Its not really a time thing with them its more about when the staff get a chance to do the reductions. If they are busy on the checkouts then they dont get chance to do the reductions.

In L1dl I have often picked up free range chicken at 30% off and its 3 days before its sell by date.
  • June wasn't the best month for me so I'm increasing my budget back to £250. I'm starting to buy nappies that are on offer to prepare for the new arrival and I may have to buy a few beers for DH weekly to keep him away from sms. Hopefully I'll come under budget and will be able to decrease for a little bit next month :)
    :jBaby girl born 3rd October 2012:j
  • JILJIL Forumite
    7.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    KatyReed+5 wrote: »
    but also includes a £24.00 spend on 2 bottle of nit stuff for the kids, i do wish some parents would check their kids hair and stop giving them to mine, grrrrr.

Katy, X

I dont know if you can still buy it but I used tea tree oil conditioner on my childrens hair. (original source or holland and Barrett) Put the conditioner on and leave for a while, then use the nit comb to get the eggs and dead beasties out of the hair. Like you I got fed up of buying the nit lotions and i looked for a natural alternative and it seemed to work.
    The teachers at the school used it as well.
  • Oh my, can't believe we're into July's thread already - where is this year disappearing to!:eek:

Thanks to Zippy, Helen & Rosieben as always & good luck everyone!

July is a stocking up month for me, so a slightly larger budget of £160 - toiletries still looking OK but running low on loo rolls, kitchen rolls etc.

I've a bit left out of June's budget :j (so far!) so think I'm going to treat myself to some lovely, but rather expensive, cream - eczema is playing up a bit so hopefully that'll help!

I'm trying a new type of milk (not Lactofree but extra filtered) so fingers crossed that works OK as it should cut the bill from around £45 / month :eek: (a lot when it's just me!) to around £20:j
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • I'm in again this month.Sticking with the same budget £360 even though i went over by quite a bit last month. I have fully stocked up so am hoping i can easily come in on budget :cool:
    DEBT FREE WANNABE
    [STRIKE]H+M £72.89[/STRIKE] NEXT £319.56 22.9%APR BARCLAY CARD £352.90 26.43%APR ARGOS CARD£38.26/ £698.02 29.9%APR VERY £221.19/ £1825.21 47.9%APR :eek:
  • DundeeDollDundeeDoll Forumite
    4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Put me down for 600 please helenjelly though uni uses rbs so fingers crossed salaries go in :eek:
    I may not be there yet but I'm closer than I was yesterday
  • edited 28 June 2012 at 8:51PM
    dizzyditzydizzyditzy Forumite
    711 posts
    edited 28 June 2012 at 8:51PM
    Hi
    Can I be put down for £140 for July please. This is 3 weeks at £30 and 1st week of school holidays at £40 and £10 for cleaning and toiletries. My July runs from 28th June until 26th July. I am trying not to buy any meat as having checked my freezers this is what they are full of. I need to save money for 2 full sets of new secondary uniform :eek:. I am enjoying reading and learning from the tips posted. I aim to try out more recipes this month as well.
  • savesummoresavesummore Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Mmm .... I suspected as much because Aldi wasn't on the reduction time slot matrix in another thread I looked at which asked supermarket staff or ex staff about reduction policy.

In that case I may go 5 mins walk down the road to MrM and get the reductions, then I don't have to spend as much as £35 or incur £2.90 on the train (does mean I have spent 45p on the Mirror though when I wouldn't otherwise have done - going to ask round work to see if anyone shops at Aldi - no point in wasting it!).

Best wishes to all,

I go to Aldi quite often on a Saturday morning and sometimes there are 30% stickers on meat, fruit and veg- there doesnt tend to be a section they just leave them in with the regular stuff and stickers them- stickers are RED

I find Aldi very cheap for fruit, veg and general household bits. Their washing up liquid has a Which Best Buy award and is fantastic- far better than fa&ry!! Make sure you get the small sized bottle with the Which award on the front

Very small £2.00 spend today on chocs :(
    O/S weight loss 2.5 /10lbs (11st 8.0- 08.02)
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.2K posts
    Had a spend of £9.05. Won't spend for next 4 days as off to stay with YDD. May spend out of some other money but not GC. Mr F is staying home to work and look after the dog. I have curtains to alter for DD.
    We had HM wedges, pizza, asparagus, cauliflower & baby sweetcorn for dinner.

7462812350_5ba1c086ca.jpg
    15 in 2015 1/15