Government Green Deal

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
3 replies 2.1K views
mawallacemawallace Forumite
47 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
I am aware that the Government Green Deal scheme is coming out on 1st October.

Is there a list of participating installers?

I see there is a website http://www.greendealscheme.co.uk/ but this seems too good to be true?

Replies

• edited 28 June 2012 at 12:53AM
    rogerblackrogerblack Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    edited 28 June 2012 at 12:53AM
    It's not got that far yet.
    There are fundamental problems.
    If you will stay in the home, and are willing to do some portions DIY, it could work out _considerably_ cheaper than accepting the finance.
    The green deal is paid for (generally, unless in hardship cases) by increasing the amount you pay for power, and using this to pay off a loan.

The issue is that you have to finance this through green deal organisations, and use participating green deal builders.
    These may be at a premium over the market.

The site mentioned seems to be an unofficial site, aiming at getting lots of links, to serve ads, and make profit that way.
  • edited 30 June 2012 at 3:09PM
    jamesingramjamesingram Forumite
    301 Posts
    edited 30 June 2012 at 3:09PM
    Perhap the EST would be a better place to look http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/Take-action/Grants-and-savings/Green-Deal-and-Energy-Company-Obligation-ECO
    "ensure that the improvements identified meet the Golden Rule: the payments made for the improvements cannot be higher than the estimated energy bill savings they will make."

When i first heard of it , it seemed a good idea,
    i was discussing a similar idea 10+ years ago with some colleages , looking for a way to encourage energy efficiency measure or mircogeneration.
    now the details of the GD are clearer it seems less attractive.
    One example is their struggling to give loft/cavity insulation away , so I cant see people being to keen to pay for no matter how cheap the loan is.
    EWI may meet the golden rule , solar thermal probably wont without the RHI , similar with PV unless FIT is taken into account.
  • jaycubejaycube Forumite
    56 Posts
    Its interesting to listen what they announce on these policies to go green.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Card providers to reserve up to £100

When you pay at supermarket fuel pumps

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals