June 2012 Grocery Challenge - Page 69

New Post Advanced Search

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

edited 11 May 2012 at 7:59PM in Old Style MoneySaving
1.5K replies 125.4K views

Replies

• sb88_2sb88_2 Forumite
    194 posts
    Back from our weekly shop! Was really really strict with myself.

£28 for the week!

I'm also starting to buy an extra tin of something to build up a store cupboard, first time living away from home so this is all new to me !

Picked up some extra tins of tomatoes and some cornedbeef that was on roleback to £2.
    Weightloss: 18lbs/28lbs (Start weight: 11st, Current 9st 10)
  • cleggiecleggie Forumite
    2.2K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Went to Mr T, to get bread.
    Ended up getting:

-4 salmon fillets breaded and with garlic butter- Was £8, reduced to 80p :)
    -Pack of 8 fancy (my word, not theirs!!) sausages- Was £3, reduced to 45p
    -Bag of satsumas-Was £1.50, reduced to 15p
    -6 bread rolls- Was 65p, reduced to 45p

but totally forgot bread!!
    The salmon fillets must be my bargains of the past few months!!
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm quite pleased with myself now. Years ago in a previous life I used to make bacon & sweetcorn soda bread at the weekend as it was filling and yummy while we were all outdoors doing stuff. I couldn't find the recipe so I adapted JJs herby bread by replacing the herbs & cheese with fried bacon and sweetcorn - it's delicious and we've both had 3 pieces and are trying to resist the rest! I used the Lido bargain bacon, it was nice :)
    Then I reduced down some of the tomato sauce I made yesterday, until it was thick, and we had that like ketchup on the bread.
    Nom nom nom :T
    Rx
  • jumblejackjumblejack Forumite
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    rosyq wrote: »
    I'm quite pleased with myself now. Years ago in a previous life I used to make bacon & sweetcorn soda bread at the weekend as it was filling and yummy while we were all outdoors doing stuff. I couldn't find the recipe so I adapted JJs herby bread by replacing the herbs & cheese with fried bacon and sweetcorn - it's delicious and we've both had 3 pieces and are trying to resist the rest! I used the Lido bargain bacon, it was nice :)
    Then I reduced down some of the tomato sauce I made yesterday, until it was thick, and we had that like ketchup on the bread.
    Nom nom nom :T
    Rx

Oh WOW!!!

What a fantastic idea!!!!!

I have some bacon to use up!
    I bet I could throw some olives in instead of sweet corn to make it even more savoury!

Nice one :beer:
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • SB88 wrote: »
    Desperatley want to go out and buy some new running trousers, but I can't really afford to since I'm in my overdraft and trying to clear it. I couldn't justify the expense, however I'm finding it really hard not going out and getting some :(

You can do it! Think how satisfying it will be to resist them - almost as satisfying as having new running troons, eh? Why don't you line them up as a treat for when your OD is cleared - a reward for working at sticking to your budget? :)
    MFW start date:22.6.13 - £138555 9.7.13 - £125937
    MFD: [STRIKE]November 2039[/STRIKE] October 2035

2013 OP: £14172
    2014 OP aim: £0/£3000
  • DaisypopDaisypop Forumite
    63 posts
    Hi all

Pretty new on here but i have today made my first batch of flapjacks and hobnobs and am very impressed! Think my hobnobs need to be a bit smaller and thinner but they taste good anyway! Been a right domestic goddess today, also made red pepper, tomato and onion soup and that smells delicious too.

I cant wait to try some of the other recipes and it definately saves money rather than trying to find cheaper versions that taste good!

Thanks all!
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Daisypop wrote: »
    Hi all

Pretty new on here but i have today made my first batch of flapjacks and hobnobs and am very impressed! Think my hobnobs need to be a bit smaller and thinner but they taste good anyway! Been a right domestic goddess today, also made red pepper, tomato and onion soup and that smells delicious too.

I cant wait to try some of the other recipes and it definately saves money rather than trying to find cheaper versions that taste good!

Thanks all!

You will save on cookbooks too!

I have got rid of most of mine which has cleared some shelf space :)
  • DaisypopDaisypop Forumite
    63 posts
    im away for a couple of days with work this week but will be having a look at other things when i come back :j
    6.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well for dinner today we had a choice of leftover veggie curry and basmati or leftover chilli and basmati as I had to clear some freezer space for a great pizza deal from Tesco.

Tonight we have friends coming over so will be having pizzas!!!

We are also going to have to force a Dr Who cake down our chops as I had to defrost it to sacrifice a wee bit more freezer space :rotfl:

Can't wait to see what the next price drop leaflets have in from Tesco!;)

Edit:
    The hog roast last night was awesome,
    The pig was organic and was being roasted by the same couple that raised it!
    The crackling was GORGEOUS!
  • **purpleprincess****purpleprincess** Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just done my food shop and come in at £23.22 :D perfect. Got loads of stuff and have got plenty for meals for the week. Total for the month is now £126.21, so still got a fair bit for the rest of the month. We're going on a self catering holiday to Devon next week so can afford to spend a little more, but should come in at or under budget this month. Fabby!

Dinner is going to be a roast gammon joint with baked potatoes and veggies nomnomnom
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!