Buying yellow sticker/reduced 2012 challenge

in Gone Off!
698 replies 88.3K views

Replies

• FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I made my first Sunday afternoon visit to a Mr A near me - not a huge place. All there was - few reduced ready meal type bits, some half price swedes and satsumas reduced from £1 to 52p. I only bought the satsumas.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • all this sunny weather must have had everyone going for salads ect. Went into my Sainsburys last night and managed to get 2 packs of really nice looking braising steaks for 99p each. Also got a pack of lamb mince for 89p! Surprised no-one snapped this up to make burgers?

Also got a celeriac 24p, pack of leeks 49p, huge bag of maris pipers 44p, 2 packs tenderstem broccli 49p and TTD asparagus 49p.

Will be having the asparagus griddled with tomatoes and salmon tonight and make a celeriac soup, river cottage recipe. I completely agree with fruitcake, it has made me a better cook and got me trying things I might not have before!
    June GC £130.93/£150
    Wedding Date Set 13th October 2012 :T
  • FlorenceemFlorenceem Forumite
    5.9K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    fruitcake wrote: »
    wow, so many of us living off the reduction labels, theres a small community forming on the rounds that I do here, have been going to the shops in the evenings since 2001, and have become a better cook because of it as the variety of things that I get to pick up and would never have tried if they were full priced is out of this world. I completely agree with buying what you need rather than letting the "bargain greedy eyed monster" out and taking everything just because you can. I definitely share and share alike.
    Yesterday, Mr S had lots of organic yoghurt reduced from £1.80 to 20p, got myself a pot and also picked up a pack of finest sausages with caramalised onions for 35p at Mr T's for my lovely neighbour. If I was taller i would have no qualms about being a FREEGEN...maybe when the bins get smaller!
    Most bins are locked up and not accessible - they don't want us to see all the stuff going to landfill.
    15 in 2015 1/15
  • dorsetladydorsetlady Forumite
    295 Posts
    For the first time for years, I got some reduced bargains yesterday! A new Tesco Express has opened and is it ten minute walk for me. At 4pm I got four packs of meat (lamb steaks, pork loin and steak) at 75% off. I can never afford to eat meat often so this will be a treat for us! I then went back at 8pm and got loads of fruit, veg and hot cross buns at 90% off! I tried a papaya (13p) for the first time! Don't know if it's a one off but I'll be going back regularly!
  • kiwikazkiwikaz Forumite
    379 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I'm a new poster on this board but have been buying yellow stickered food for a while now.

Managed to pick up from Mr T's last night a 1.8kg Buxted chicken for 60p. Perhaps one of my best meat bargains.
    July £10 a day challenge £ 20.05 / £ 155
  • I was browsing in ASDA's reduced section today, and found a joint of silverside beef with a yellow sticker saying 65p!! Obviously whoever reduced it had made a mistake, but as I didnt particularly need it, I pointed it out to a member of staff who was also there with a young mum, perhaps her daughter. After some deliberation she put it in her trolly.

Felt a bit of a idiot for not just grabbing it, but at least someone went home with a real bargain.

:)
    I play the game - I didnt make the rules.
  • linseyglinseyg Forumite
    65 Posts
    We often manage to get some lovely vacuum packed fish in the reduced section at tesco. Is there a certain day that is better to go for yellow stickers
  • Penny-Pincher!!Penny-Pincher!! Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last night we had run out of milk and although we had some in the freezer, we needed a cup of tea, so OH went to the local Mr T and got:

Organic chicken large leg-40p (made a chicken curry and had for lunch)
    Pizza (fresh one)-35p (frozen it)
    Meatballs x 12-60p (frozen for next week)
    Wheat free loaves x 2 (froze for OH after he sliced)-50p each
    Chicken fatita (sp) for 2-(frozen it)-50p
    Finest Fish Pie (frozen)-40p
    12 huge cupcakes with british flag-50p and froze 10
    Granary loaf x 2 (frozen)-20p
    Pancakes x 3 packets (frozen for niece next week)-10p each
    Parsnips x 4-10p (had tonight)
    Cabbage (half)-10p (had for dinner and bubble it tomorrow)
    Finest Ham-40p (made 4 rolls up and froze)

They had Anchor butter 2 for £2
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • janewshjanewsh Forumite
    24 Posts
    I'm a college student and I must say, yellow stickers are ADDICTIVE. There aren't much freezer space as I have to share with flatmates, so I tend to buy and eat the reduced food on the same day if not within the next couple! I really save a lot of money that way, especially since the money I'm using aren't even mine (my parents worked hard!). Mr T in central London are very small, not much to choose from. I walk around the few stores in my vicinity, and I usually have quite a high success rate at the furthest one. I feel bad though, because the yellow stickers never seem to scan in that store and the workers always have to painstakingly type in every single code for me!
  • Visited my local Mr A and must have chosen a good time to go as ther was loads of ys stuff. got 12 FR eggs 60p, cheese 60p, chicken £2, fish pie mix 75p, yogs 40p, creme fraiche 20p, 4 x ready meals each 90p (handy to have in freezer for when I'm too tired to cook from scratch) and 2 x sprays of flowers 60p each. = One Happy bunny lol:T:T
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Alexa, tell me some top tips

How can this Forumite maximise their smart speaker?

Join the Forum discussion

State pension shortfalls for women

MPs call it a 'shameful shambles'

MSE News