Ideas on how to make the wedding more us

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
15 replies 1.8K views
AFianceeAFiancee Forumite
54 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Weddings & Anniversaries
Hi,

Our wedding is in October, and is basically just a traditional wedding, church wedding followed by hotel reception.

What i'm looking for is ideas on how to male the wedding more personal and more representive of us.
We don't have a theme, other than traditional (ish).
«1

Replies

  • NoAngelNoAngel Forumite
    774 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    We've got a couple of things planned to make it more personal:

    - personalised cake topper (it's a novelty one making fun of us a little)
    - Music is an easy way of personalising too - for the church (maybe you could leave to something fun), first dance and music for the night party (make your own playlist)
    - We'll have a photo from our 'engagement shoot' for people to sign instead of a guest book
    - Homemade place settings
    - We're not doing this, but you could have childhood photos out for people to look at - I've seen people do slide shows or make albums

    Our theme is autumnal, so that's not too personal, it's just because of the time of year. Hopefully adding a few extra touches will make it feel more personal though.
  • BabyBootsBabyBoots Forumite
    544 Posts
    When you say a bit us, what do you two like?

    E.g. if you like real ale, make sure the bar serves real ale
    if you're from Australia, bring in some Australian traditions, like alternate place settings
    If you love mountain climbing, you can name the tables after mountains....

    Easy bits to personalise are the peripheral parts:
    food and drink you serve
    decorations
    favours
    names of tables
    any entertainment you have (dj, musicians, ice cream van...)

    Try googling images of [insert hobby/interest/favourite animal etc here] wedding for inspiration. Or tell us a bit more about yourself and we'll suggest some things!
  • AFianceeAFiancee Forumite
    54 Posts
    BabyBoots wrote: »
    When you say a bit us, what do you two like?

    E.g. if you like real ale, make sure the bar serves real ale
    if you're from Australia, bring in some Australian traditions, like alternate place settings
    If you love mountain climbing, you can name the tables after mountains....

    Easy bits to personalise are the peripheral parts:
    food and drink you serve
    decorations
    favours
    names of tables
    any entertainment you have (dj, musicians, ice cream van...)

    Try googling images of [insert hobby/interest/favourite animal etc here] wedding for inspiration. Or tell us a bit more about yourself and we'll suggest some things!

    Thats the problem, I have my hobbies and interest and he has his, and they don't generally match!

    His main interests- Playstation, music (Slightly obsessed with one band!), Guiness (And any alcohol generally) and his work!
    Mine - Gaelic Football (slightly obsessed with my County team!), and I suppose cats (although not getting one to after the wedding!) and defiantely not my work!

    As i'm sure you can guess from the above we are Irish.

    Things we do together just include general things like going out for dinner or a night out. We do go camping (becasue I like it mainly though and its cheap!), and outdoor festivals every so often.

    The venue we are using provides the wine and the menu is basically set, so not really much room for personalising there!
    The also provide the centre pieces and decorations - all in package counts down the organising well!

    So from your list that only really leaves table names and favours.
    Our entertainment is a band followed by a dj, and we will be requesting they play certain songs for us etc.

    We are considering have some additional entertainment either at the drinks reception or at the buffet interval, but sdepends on budget
  • wanchai_2wanchai_2 Forumite
    3K Posts
    Guinness = baby Guinness sorbets/shots
    Festivals/camping = bunting, wild flowers
    GAA team = have BMs and/or flowers in their colours, which county is it? (hope not Wexford - purple and yellow are yuk! :rotfl:) If you're from the same county, how about club names for the tables?
    His fave band = write to them and ask for a signed pic as a present for OH
    Cats = cat pictures/designs on your place settings etc - or you could do this? :rotfl: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2094172/My-Big-Fat-Gypsy-Wedding-The-popular-Channel-4-returns-outrageous-dress-yet.html

    HTH xxx
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • AFianceeAFiancee Forumite
    54 Posts
    wanchai wrote: »
    Guinness = baby Guinness sorbets/shots
    Festivals/camping = bunting, wild flowers
    GAA team = have BMs and/or flowers in their colours, which county is it? (hope not Wexford - purple and yellow are yuk! :rotfl:) If you're from the same county, how about club names for the tables?
    His fave band = write to them and ask for a signed pic as a present for OH
    Cats = cat pictures/designs on your place settings etc - or you could do this? :rotfl: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2094172/My-Big-Fat-Gypsy-Wedding-The-popular-Channel-4-returns-outrageous-dress-yet.html

    HTH xxx

    Its Down, so red and black doesn't really make for good colour scheme for the wedding, especially since the bridesmaid dresses are a purple/wine colour! And no, we are not from the same county, although thinking about it the table names cold be towns from both Counties!

    I love the idea for getting the sgned photo of his favourite band!
  • wanchai_2wanchai_2 Forumite
    3K Posts
    No, red and black are not great ha ha! Where's he from? Maybe his county has better colours lol!!!!
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
  • BabyBootsBabyBoots Forumite
    544 Posts
    If his favourite band is prolific enough, how about CD covers/vinyl records as table centres/table names?

    Or tables named after famous cats?

    I've seen these GAA wedding invitations, not sure if you've sent yours out yet:
    http://creativeinvites.ie/blog/archives/135
  • AFianceeAFiancee Forumite
    54 Posts
    BabyBoots wrote: »
    If his favourite band is prolific enough, how about CD covers/vinyl records as table centres/table names?

    Or tables named after famous cats?

    I've seen these GAA wedding invitations, not sure if you've sent yours out yet:
    http://creativeinvites.ie/blog/archives/135


    I love the invitations - but don't think the OH would go for them!

    He is already getting the first dance song as one by his favourite band - and I think thats enough
  • RainbowDropsRainbowDrops Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Try not to get too bogged down with trying to find something to make it personal - it sounds like you're both fairly easy going witha range of tastes, so picking just one or two things to "theme" the wedding might end up looking a bit forced.

    Guiness might lend it'self to a favour idea, seeing as it's your OHs favourite tipple, and you're Irish (sorry to stereotype!) not sure what sort of thing though.

    I've seen some people put a section on the RSVP for the guests to request a song. I know that's not personaly to you as a couple, but it makes everyi=one feel involved in the wedding.

    Our personal touches were making our own favours (Welsh onion seeds as I'm Welsh), having a friends band & friend DJing, having glowsticks for the last hour as we used to go raving, picking our own favourite music for the ceremony etc.
  • wanchai_2wanchai_2 Forumite
    3K Posts
    Aw, Welsh onion seeds, that is really cute! :) I'd thought about doing flower seeds, but would need some little brown bags/envelopes to put them in :o
    7 Feb 2012: 10st7lbs :( 14 Feb: 10st4.5lbs :D 21 Feb: 10st4lbs * 1 March: 10st2.5lbs :j13 March: 10st3lbs (post-holiday) :o 30 March: 10st1.5lbs :D 4 April: 10st0.75lbs * 6 April: 9st13.5 lbs :) 27 April 9st12.5lbs * 16 May 9st12lbs * 11 June 9st11lbs * 15 June 9st9.5lbs * 20 June 9st8.5lbs :D 27 June 9st8lbs * 1 July 9st7lbs * 7 July 9st6.5lbs :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals