My bank not playing 'game' what do I do next?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
1 reply 744 views
GizzymobabyGizzymobaby Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
So... My story so far...

After reading in here I could be entitled to my bank charges back I set too it. I've been off work with CFS/ME for roughly 3 years now. And have been struggling and literally just getting by, which is the reason I thought I'd give it a try, as I've not had any wage coming in I've been charged quite a lot.

Anyway, I called my bank up last week, they weren't able to send me a list of past charges I'd had as they said they were not authorised and that it had to come from my local bank. I've actually been down in person to my local bank today and they have refused to give me the information?!

I was told that I wouldn't get any back as the banks were able to charge what they want and the it was my fault for going over, to put it bluntly. The ever so not polite person then told me that he could only give me past bank statements, which I'd read is not what I wanted as they charge for each bank statement individually then.

So now I'm stuck, do I give the bank a call again and play 'hard ball' and demand these under the data protection act or do I just send them a letter saying it?

Replies

• Premier_2Premier_2 Forumite
    15.1K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So... My story so far...

After reading in here I could be entitled to my bank charges back I set too it. I've been off work with CFS/ME for roughly 3 years now. And have been struggling and literally just getting by, which is the reason I thought I'd give it a try, as I've not had any wage coming in I've been charged quite a lot.

Anyway, I called my bank up last week, they weren't able to send me a list of past charges I'd had as they said they were not authorised and that it had to come from my local bank. I've actually been down in person to my local bank today and they have refused to give me the information?!

I was told that I wouldn't get any back as the banks were able to charge what they want and the it was my fault for going over, to put it bluntly. The ever so not polite person then told me that he could only give me past bank statements, which I'd read is not what I wanted as they charge for each bank statement individually then.

So now I'm stuck, do I give the bank a call again and play 'hard ball' and demand these under the data protection act or do I just send them a letter saying it?

Hi Gizzymobaby, and welcome to MSE :hello:

I would suggest you follow the advice given in the MSE guide to reclaiming bank charges.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/bank-charges

Are you actrually in financial hardship? Check the sticky thread out to ensure you are:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2428497
    otherwsie you are wasting your time from the outset.

Do you have online banking activated?

If not, which bank do you use?
    Tell us this and someone will probably help you with the address to write to for the SAR. :)
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals