Can you claim PPI on mortgages

Hi
Can anyone tell me how to claim ppi on mortgages. My former lenders have refused to send me signed copies of the morgage i took out. Also does anyone have a company they can recommed to do this for me

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    107.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me how to claim ppi on mortgages.

Do you mean complain or claim?

Assuming complain, then you just make your complaint to the seller giving your reasons for complaint and supply any evidence you have to support your complaint.
    My former lenders have refused to send me signed copies of the morgage i took out.

Why would you need them anyway? MPPI doesnt appear on the mortgage contract. The fact it is a standalone product is one of the reasons there are far fewer complaints and less upheld than other types of PPI.
    Also does anyone have a company they can recommed to do this for me

Why do you want to pay a company to put a stamp on the envelope? That is effectively all they do.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • magpiecottagemagpiecottage
    9.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have a complaint about the sale of PPI complete and send this form to whoever sold you the policy.
  • I have 2 mortgage protection insurance policies. Orginially they covered the full amount of what we borrowed at the time and over the years (timed to the length of that mortgage) were a decreasing payment assuming we owed less. When we remortaged, the new lender said I didnt need to stop the first one but just take out another one for the new amount I was borriwing form them. My understanding is that it was on the same basis as the 1st.As we have now switched to paying interest only on this second mortgage is this second policy now defunct (and therefore we may as well stop it) what about the first one which wil run out before we have paid back our mortgage and we get nothing for it.

I dont know whether to stop payments as the amounts they would pay out now (if they did at all because of all the changes) would be so small?
    They seemed an OK product at the time we purchased, so I dont think we were missold,what do others think?

All helpful comments and advice would be gratefully received.
    107.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They seemed an OK product at the time we purchased, so I dont think we were missold,what do others think?

Mis-sale is about what is right/wrong at point of sale. Not changes that happen years later. So, no, nothing you have said has indicated mis-sale.

You just need to adjust your products to meet your current needs.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Norj82Norj82 Forumite
    4 Posts
    I had Mortgage PPI and claimed using tools from MSE but Ombudsman disagreed it was mis-sold. This was about 2 years ago. Can I try and claim again? Any thoughts are welcome.
    107.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I had Mortgage PPI and claimed using tools from MSE but Ombudsman disagreed it was mis-sold. This was about 2 years ago

Most MPPI is not mis-sold. Of those that complain, only a minority succeed. It doesnt have the majority of issues that other types of PPI have.
    Can I try and claim again?
    No. You get one complaint and if you dont like the outcome then you can go to the FOS. You did and you lost. What makes you think you can try again and get a different answer?
  • Norj82Norj82 Forumite
    4 Posts
    [/QUOTE]No. You get one complaint and if you dont like the outcome then you can go to the FOS. You did and you lost. What makes you think you can try again and get a different answer?[/QUOTE]

I simply thought with all the relatively recent publicity and reports of banks setting aside billions of pounds for reclaims that FOS's stance might have changed, thats all. However, my experiences have made me far more aware of what I am actually signing for in the future.
    107.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I simply thought with all the relatively recent publicity and reports of banks setting aside billions of pounds for reclaims that FOS's stance might have changed, thats all.

No. Nothing has changed on that front. The banks wanted to eliminate certain groups from being able to complain as they felt the FSA was retrospectively changing the rules. i.e. telling them to use 2011 rules to review sales in years where there were different rules. The banks lost. However, that doesnt mean previous complaints would change. The FOS is the key for your complaint. They looked at it and found no wrong doing.
  • roonaldoroonaldo Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Norj82 wrote: »
    I had Mortgage PPI and claimed using tools from MSE but Ombudsman disagreed it was mis-sold. This was about 2 years ago. Can I try and claim again? Any thoughts are welcome.

No, if the Ombudsman rejected it then take it to court. But to be honest if the Ombudsman rejected it, has it occured it may not have been mis-sold?
  • Hi, I think I may be reiterating the question again!

My mother has Mortgage Protection Assurance Plan with Scottish Widows since 1998, she was a civil servant at the time. her mortgage is due to end December 2012. She had cover at work for sickness, death etc.,. However, reading the postings above, in terms of MPIA, am I right in thinking this would not be cause for raising a complaint? She sold her previous home in 1998 and was encouraged to take out this Plan when she bought her second home.
    Current loan £12,295, Overdraft £550, Natwest C/Card £1295, - AIM - TO SMASH THE JOLLY LOT :D
    PPI Success: Lloydstsb loan £2,600 :T, Lloydstsb Visa Credit Card £3,225
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides