Which companies have you successfully haggled with?

edited 3 April 2012 at 12:42PM in Money Saving Polls
10 replies 3.2K views
Former_MSE_BeccaFormer_MSE_Becca
250 Posts
edited 3 April 2012 at 12:42PM in Money Saving Polls
Poll started 3 Apr 2012, click here to vote

Whether it's simply saying ‘cut the price or I’ll leave you’ with breakdown cover or broadband, or asking your bank to reduce your interest rate, haggling with call centres works.

Which of these service companies have you successfully haggled with?

TV / broadband / mobile / home phone
AOL
BT
Carphone Warehouse
O2
Orange
Orange
Phones4U
Plusnet
Post Office
Primus
Sky
T-Mobile
TalkTalk
Tesco
Three Mobile
Virgin Media
Virgin Mobile
Vodafone
Other

Breakdown cover
AA Breakdown
Green Flag
RAC
Other

Insurance
AA Insurance
Admiral
Aviva
British Gas Homecare
Churchill
Diamond
Direct Line
Domestic & General
Elephant
Endsleigh
Hastings Direct
LV
Post Office Insurance
Prudential
RIAS Insurance
Saga
Swinton
Tesco Insurance
Virgin Insurance
Other

Banks / credit cards
American Express
Barclaycard
Barclays
Capital One
HSBC
Lloyds TSB / Halifax / Bank of Scotland
MBNA / Virgin
Nationwide
NatWest / RBS
Santander
Other

Others
CreditExpert.co.uk
KwikFit
Lovefilm

click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks :)

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Replies

• Linda16Linda16 Forumite
    9 Posts
    I rang Barclaycard and asked for a reduction in the interest rates once a deal had ended, they were a bit reluctant at first but I thanked them for their time anyway and said I would, with regret, be transferring the balances (I had 3 barclaycards) to other cards with lower interest rates.
    They then came up with a much lower rate PLUS lowered the purchase interest on all 3 cards!
  • Yesterday I managed to save £143 on my Homeserve policy, renewal was £668 a year for Combined Cover with annual boiler service. As a lone parent this insurance has proved invaluable over the years from leaking pipes to a leaking roof (roofer attended an hour after phoning Homeserve). Last year I saved just over £100 on my home insurance taking out a new policy with Cooperative Insurance instead of automatically renewing and I'll do the same again this year. I've haggled great packages for my teenage sons mobile phone contracts with Virgin Mobile & got a loyalty discount with Virgin Media when I said I was considering moving to Sky. I've even haggled in a Next Clearance Outlet for a dining room table and 4 chairs which was already half price but slightly scratched & saved an extra £45. Also got a set of 3 pictures which were slightly damaged/dirty Next directory price £119 outlet price £50 haggled & bought for £25. Now I just say to myself "why would I want to pay full price for anything?"
  • barbiedollbarbiedoll Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I now haggle for everything. We've managed to cut a bit from most of our bills by haggling, we've always argued with credit card rate hikes, we got our double glazing bill down by £500 and today I got £1 off a £10 t-shirt in the market!

I find that being ultra-nice normally works, I don't go in with an attitude. I try a hard-luck story ("I've only got £9 on me and my son has wanted one of these shirts for ages") and a good tip-off from a friend.....always play the "I'm a single parent" card.....I do, even though I've been married for 13 years. I got shot of £70 of Co-op bank charges using that one at Christmas! ;)
    "I may be many things but not being indiscreet isn't one of them"
  • anjak-janjak-j Forumite
    45 Posts
    I used to be on AOL years ago - on dial-up, it was that long ago. It all started with one of those CDs that they used to send out or that you could pick up at supermarkets. However, when my free month was over, I called and said I was cancelling to move to another service, at which point AOL said, "Have three free months." After that was over, I called again and was offered another three free months...and so on. It went on for about 18 months until I decided to go with one of the early ASDL services, though even then, it was a battle to get AOL to take no for an answer. The 18 months of free Internet was nice though.

I'm definitely not above haggling when the opportunity arises. For example, when I bought my laptop just over a year ago, I managed to bag myself a copy of Microsoft Office Home and a case - about £80 worth - for just £10 more than the laptop's price. I also got £50 off a HP 22in monitor - for my desktop computer - because it was the one on display and had a couple of scratches on the side of it. Where I lived actually had a Comet and Currys that were right next door to each other, making it easy to play them off against each other to drive the price down.
  • KatiesnanKatiesnan Forumite
    13 Posts
    Haggled with Yorkshire Bank over our contents insurance. Because we had made a claim the year before (for £60 + excess and first claim we had ever made) they put up our insurance by nearly £7 a month. We threatened to go elsewhere and they relented and let us have it for previous price....result!
  • barber1barber1 Forumite
    4 Posts
    No - I have never haggled although when I cancelled my Virgin Media TV service I was offered a £3 monthly loyalty discount on the reduced charges. This made it £2 cheaper to take their basic service than cancel outright.

I'm going to be devil's advocate here and state that I don't agree with the principle of haggling. Companies know exactly how much their services cost and how much profit they're making on each component of their business (or they should do). Why should people who enquire or demand a reduction get this? What about those that don't?

In my opinion this is not good customer service from the company nor is it in any way championing customer power. If the price isn't competitive I thought the idea was that us customers go to other companies? By reducing prices for some customers and not others the company is resorting to sharp practice and hiding any flaws in their pricing structures.

Loads of consumer legislation ready to lamblast companies who aren't transparent about their prices in adverts yet in principle they're running different pricing strutures.

Nice savings if you're the ones benefitting but what about the majority?
  • edited 5 April 2012 at 7:47PM
    artybeeartybee Forumite
    17 Posts
    edited 5 April 2012 at 7:47PM
    barber1 wrote: »

I'm going to be devil's advocate here and state that I don't agree with the principle of haggling

If the price isn't competitive I thought the idea was that us customers go to other companies?

Nice savings if you're the ones benefitting but what about the majority?

In terms of ballpark figures, the number of customers moving from company A's price of £100 to company B's price, of £80 and the number of customers moving from B's price of £100 to A's price price of £80, will be equal.

Likewise, when looking at big numbers, the number of people moving from A's price of £100 to A's price of £80, and the number of people moving from B's price of £100 to B's price of £80 are equal.

Whether or not you stick with the same company or move to a competitor, the market is still being driven by consumers.

Now, looking at economies of scale, a company who strives to retain their customer base keeps hold of a higher market share. If, say, Vodathree network haemorrhaged customers by losing them to T-virgin, then the remaining Vodathree customers would be *worse* off as their service provider would have no incentive to invest in infrastructure to provide a better service.

And the majority of customers who don't haggle are only wasting their own money. Hagglers are not parasites on those who pay full price.
  • edited 4 May 2012 at 6:27AM
    ErmeErme Forumite
    3.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 4 May 2012 at 6:27AM
    This isn't quite relevant but I haggled with John Lewis x 2...the last time this week...

It's worth knowing it only works in John Lewis if it's the last one/display model. Otherwise (and you can see their point) they just give you a stock fully working one...

First haggle = £10 off a sewing machine. Second haggle - tv reduced by £60 already - another £10 off and free aerial cable :) - worth doin on a £250 tv :)

very happy and still got guarantees etc in place despite haggling...

Also haggled for a Kindle in PCworld (last one again)..original cost £89 - for £100 I got a cover a three years warranty :)

e
    PS. no room for political correctness in haggling..LOL but I'm just honest. Even with the discount the tv was £30 over budget and I have debts...simple
    :dance:
    I believe in the power of PAD
    Come and join us on the Payment a Day thread
    :dance:
  • blammoblammo Forumite
    95 Posts
    Virgin, 02; at end of contract asked both for a better deal and said I was leaving if I didn't get one.

Admiral, eSure: insurance renewals from both for car insurance and home & contents insurance respectively were more expensive than the previous year so I expressed my 'surprise' at this and both gave a 'loyalty' discount.

John Lewis: a kettle broke within the 2yr warranty but the model was discontinued at the time. They said they'd give us the cash price for it at the time it was discontinued (which was £10 less than when we bought it) so we haggled and got a newer slightly more swish model.
  • DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Virgin media for me, id agreed a cheaper price with 1 cust rep and when the contract arrived the price noted was more expensive so called up to complain(said was't happy, loyal customer for 10+ years, may as well cancel), at first she wasnt going to reduce it as the price on the contract was the price for the package i was given but she spoke to retentions and agreed to get it as low as possible to the price id originally agreed to. Think i could do better with regards to haggling.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

Best student bank accounts 2021/22

Incl. free 0% overdrafts and railcards

MSE Guide

Next 50% off sale rumour

Here's what we've found...

MSE Deals